Nevada draw who is applying?

You have to buy a license to apply. If you don’t draw you may remit your license back for a refund however in that case you also are not awarded bonus points.

go through the process, I have. They only charge you for the license if you want a point or you draw the tag they will change you for your license and tag! I paid the $14 to apply last night!!!!!! If you don’t know what your talking, zip it!
Matt

Attachments

• 69E711A8-7FA6-4F45-B06F-53C24567CB41.png
    69E711A8-7FA6-4F45-B06F-53C24567CB41.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
go through the process, I have. They only charge you for the license if you want a point or you draw the tag they will change you for your license and tag! I paid the $14 to apply last night!!!!!! If you don’t know what your talking, zip it!
Matt

Relax. I would say 99% of people are also electing to get a bonus point and therefore have to pay the $155 for the hunting license. If someone wants to hunt archery deer then your method is doable, but if applying for rifle tags or any other species then bonus points are almost required. Sure everyone has a chance, but a realistic chance does t start until 5+ points in most units for rifle.

With that being said....I’m in for sheep, elk and deer!

After a thorough reading of the regs, it certainly appears as though the license purchase is definitely not required if you’re not seeking a point. Duck-Slayer’s posts also make that clear. I decided to compare draw odds and financial outlay between entering the draw but not paying to get a point compared to simply entering the draw. I used the first elk hunt on the list I was looking at. The calculations assume no price increases, no change in draw odds from year to year, and does not include the cost of the tag, or license in the case that you drew the tag but hadn’t purchased the licens.

10yrs. 15yrs
With Pts. $1710. 17.5% $2565 46.6%
W/out pts $160. 0.6% $240. 0.9%

Now obviously there are some archery deer hunts with reasonable odds, but elk is probably a lot higher on most people’s lists. Looking at that it’s pretty clear that per dollar spent younger more by buying the license and receiving a point. The same applies if you’re going to apply for more than one species. A) On a percentage basis the cost of the license is smaller, and B) you’re more likely to draw a tag and if you draw a tag, then you have to pay for the license anyway.

Still, if you can’t afford to apply in every state, NV has some of the lowest odds at one of the highest price points(if you want preference points...which seem to be worth it in the elk draw). Additionally I did not factor in the ever decreasing odds due to point squaring.

I ran the odds on the easiest to draw mule deer tag and over 10 years you have an 87.9% chance of drawing without points, and would only have $140 in apps. The situation does change for deer. Then again, at just 6pts the hunt is 99%, and if you get points every year you’re 70% likely to draw at least once within the first three years.

On a side note, Duck-Slayer has drawn three years in a row, and thus had to purchase a license all three years. For only $16 extra dollars per year, he could have had three elk points, and if he is only going to apply for easy to draw deer units, he would only be buying the license “for nothing” occasionally, but doing so would dramatically increase his odds in future years.

Last edited:
I live here so I apply for everything. Also on elk and Desert sheep ewe waiting list. Didn't shoot a bear so I get to apply for that again. They changed the system again this year making it more user friendly. I also like that it just lets you copy last years if your too lazy to research again to see if you need to adjust your apps. I recall one of the other states do that but don't remember which one now. NM I think. There are a lot of opportunities here but it is expensive. Cant get my non-resident brother to apply anymore because of it. Good luck all.

The way Nevada's system works you always have a small chance, but even with 20 points your chances are still very small in most of the premium units. Statewide tags raffled off by various organizations often offer better odds at a lower price point. So it all boils down to how much is a very small chance worth to you?

I have always avoided NV and Utah because of the odds. I have been applying for Wy, Co, Az and will prob jump in on NV as I did w Utah. I know the odds are slim but want to have somewhere to hunt in 20 years. My first 10 years of elk hunting were OTC w/o any issues but in the last couple of years I have seen more and more people in the OTC areas of Co and Idaho. Now many of the limited quota areas are reducing tag #'s to Nonresidents or total in general.
I do not like the point game but it is the only game in many states. Hopefully lightning will strike in New Mexico.

Being from NV, can't pass it up but the reality even for a resident is that it is not the greatest proposition. However, my boy is 12 so there's the reduced cost for juniors so that's a factor weighing in favor of applying for him. I'll apply and if lucky great, if not I'll OTC elsewhere. Good luck to everyone!

I'm in for everything,except call bighorn (drew in 2017,, crazy odds, got lucky)I'm just waiting on new Mex results hopefully before nv deadline I hope

Reactions: LCH
As a Nevada resident who's watched just about everyone I know get their sheep over the years and packing a boatload of points into this years draw I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm back in the game for elk as well after spending the last 7 years in the waiting period. I've also got a great chance at archery antelope and deer.

I apply in most western states and am curious about the sentiment some have stated that as a non-resi it's not worth it to apply in Nevada. When I apply in other states I don't feel that Nevada's fees are too far out of line from what other states require and if you play the odds right and do your research there are some great tags to be had with few bonus points. Considering that most of Nevada's units hold trophy potential and are basically all limited entry units it seems like the quality of the hunts more than makes up for the somewhat steep drawing odds. To each their own, just trying to see what some consider to be not worth applying for.

As a Nevada resident who's watched just about everyone I know get their sheep over the years and packing a boatload of points into this years draw I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm back in the game for elk as well after spending the last 7 years in the waiting period. I've also got a great chance at archery antelope and deer.

I apply in most western states and am curious about the sentiment some have stated that as a non-resi it's not worth it to apply in Nevada. When I apply in other states I don't feel that Nevada's fees are too far out of line from what other states require and if you play the odds right and do your research there are some great tags to be had with few bonus points. Considering that most of Nevada's units hold trophy potential and are basically all limited entry units it seems like the quality of the hunts more than makes up for the somewhat steep drawing odds. To each their own, just trying to see what some consider to be not worth applying for.

For rifle elk as a non-resident in NV the highest odds at 5 pts is 4.8%. Because of squaring points, you can’t just look at 6pts and know about what your odds will be next year. For most units the odds four years ago were almost twice what they were last year until you get into the twenties. So if I’m going to pay $200ish just apply, and may only draw once or twice in my lifetime, I don’t know if I reall want that single-hunt to be the easiest to draw unit in the entire state. Picking another unit at random it has 4.2% odds at 24pts. I could essentially apply for that hunt every year for the next thirty and have a reasonable chance of NOT drawing. In Nevada, if I get drawn, not only do I loose my points, but I have to wait a number of years before I even apply again, so again, it makes me reluctant to apply for the easiest to draw hunt in the state. In NM I can pay $87 in non-refundable money to apply for a 1% hunt, a 25% hunt, and a 50% and if I draw a 50% hunt and it’s a bad experience I didn’t loose anything going into the future. My odds are still the same next year. The non-refundable cost is about 1/3. The draw odds are better. In AZ I can pay a similar non-refundable price and possibly hunt two to four times as many times in my life. Applying for multiple species makes the non-refundable cost more reasonable, but draw odds on deer are good enough in AZ and NM that I can almost certainly get one in one of those states, and because AZ does their deer later, I don’t have to worry about a deer tag in both states. If I draw deer in NM, then I don’t want one in NV that year and I’m back to not spreading my license cost kit very far. Basically, if I can’t afford to apply for every state and I have to pick and choose, then Nevada is not very high on my list due to cost/odds.

I'm not gonna apply because the odds are too low, but I only want a tag in the best areas. And if the odds are good then I don't want the tag because the area must not be any good. I want a tag and still keep my points.
It's easier to keep complaining about not getting drawn and finding reasons not to apply.

^^^Lol. I can hunt NM reasonably often, and drawing a higher opportunity tag doesn’t hurt my odds on a home run tag in the future. I can hunt AZ more times than NV for a similar price. Until I can afford to apply in most if not all western states, Nevada is very low on my list. If you can afford them all, then by all means, apply in NV. NV may well be the best hunt you ever go on. If I’m only going to be able to go once, why wouldn’t I want it to be one of the more popular hunts? I’m not currently in a position to apply in every state, and my statements simply illustrate why NV doesn’t make into the narrow list of what I can afford. I can apply in NM and CO, or UT for about the same price as NV. Personally I want to hunt elk and deer out of state every year, and I can do that within my budget if NV is not one of the states I apply in.

All that said, if I don’t draw elk in NM i I’ll probably throw $16 into the pot in NV, but putting in the full amount for a point every year is a stretch on the hunting budget. There are quite a few gear items in the $200 range that would serve me better than a point in NV.

Last edited:
^^^Lol. I can hunt NM reasonably often, and drawing a higher opportunity tag doesn’t hurt my odds on a home run tag in the future. I can hunt AZ more times than NV for a similar price. Until I can afford to apply in most if not all western states, Nevada is very low on my list. If you can afford them all, then by all means, apply in NV. NV may well be the best hunt you ever go on. If I’m only going to be able to go once, why wouldn’t I want it to be one of the more popular hunts? I’m not currently in a position to apply in every state, and my statements simply illustrate why NV doesn’t make into the narrow list of what I can afford. I can apply in NM and CO, or UT for about the same price as NV. Personally I want to hunt elk and deer out of state every year, and I can do that within my budget if NV is not one of the states I apply in.

All that said, if I don’t draw elk in NM i I’ll probably throw $16 into the pot in NV, but putting in the full amount for a point every year is a stretch on the hunting budget. There are quite a few gear items in the $200 range that would serve me better than a point in NV.
This is a good point. NV is basically the only state I don’t apply for elk in currently with the exception of Oregon and Washington. I don’t really count them. But anyway, it’s just a function of the price of admission there, it’s just too much in comparison to other states. All the way around, and then like he says u gotta wait 7 yrs! So that makes u reluctant to try for a average unit. I can apply in AZ, NM, and UT for very close to what just NV costs because I can get two yrs outta the license in AZ and UT and have way better odds of actually drawing. I would like to apply in NV just trying to justify it has been hard

I'm in for the guide draw with Nevada Deer. If I wasn't doing that I would probably still be in for Desert Sheep. NV is the best state to try and draw a desert sheep tag and I'm not paying to go to Tiburon Island. So since I have both those reasons and my $155 is sunk, I'm going to keep applying for everything. Once I draw my guided deer tag or my desert sheep tag, I will re-evaluate my situation.

Back