Nevada draw who is applying?

I am in on D Sheep, Elk, and Deer.
Wavering on Lopes. Anyone have any idea on the quality of Antelope hunting in NV vs just a 2-3 point unit in Wy?

Wavering on Lopes. Anyone have any idea on the quality of Antelope hunting in NV vs just a 2-3 point unit in Wy?

I can’t compare the quality of NV antelope vs 2-3pt WY, however, once I’m on the hook for a $155 license, I would have a hard time not spreading the cost out over most or every species. If you get to hunt antelope twice over a thirty span, then you get to spread that $4650 in license fees over two more animals. Assuming you got to hunt two deer, two antelope and an elk in that time period it would be tag price +$930 instead of tag price +$4650 for just an elk hunt. Breaking it down that way those are still some expensive deer and antelope! That’s why NV is not high on my list. On the other hand, if you’re chasing sheep and some of the best elk in the country, then you might as well apply for everything.

Last edited:

I drew one of the "worst" antelope units in NV last year and tagged a 77 and some change buck. Most enjoyable and challenging antelope hunt I've had and I've hunted WY, MT, and SD multiple times. The density is not going to be like WY but the country is big, beautiful, and access is incredible.

I will not be likely to apply until they drastically change their system or I have a drastic chance finances. It’s just way to much money to invest and watch my odds actually get worse year after year due to squared points placing the guy in front of me farther and farther ahead with each passing year. Their system will eventually implode.

I agree and don't blame ground floor applicants from avoiding. But I was lucky to draw an incredible tag back in 07 unit 111-222 archery elk and scored a 350" so feel like I'm playin with house money. I got 22 hostage points for everything but deer (10) and will apply. But it will be a Chinese fire drill this year as I bought a new home in Indiana March 8th and am up to my ears in fix up projects. Have very little time for research, and must pick around an OR elk hunt I got a high chance of drawing this year. But no mortgage & $577/year property taxes have me very happy. First trophy room under construction too.

I agree and don't blame ground floor applicants from avoiding. But I was lucky to draw an incredible tag back in 07 unit 111-222 archery elk and scored a 350" so feel like I'm playin with house money. I got 22 hostage points for everything but deer (10) and will apply. But it will be a Chinese fire drill this year as I bought a new home in Indiana March 8th and am up to my ears in fix up projects. Have very little time for research, and must pick around an OR elk hunt I got a high chance of drawing this year. But no mortgage & $577/year property taxes have me very happy. First trophy room under construction too.

If I could afford to apply everywhere, I would definitely apply in NV. Because my current budget doesn’t allow me to apply everywhere I have to pick and choose. I don’t plan on being lucky, but instead play the odds. I’m also not currently an archery hunter. With that in mind I can hunt elk in AZ 3-5 times over the same number of years as I could hunt elk one time in NV, and the total financial outlay would be similar as well. NV is a great place, but it’s not a place that a non-resident should apply INSTEAD of AZ, NM, UT, MT, ID, or WY. It’s a great addition if you can afford it. When I add the next state, to my current list, it will not be NV.

Now I did mention in a prior post that I might throw $16 into the pot for the drawing if I don’t draw NM. At that price I’ll take a shot. I ran the math of paging for points and it’s statistically cheaper to buy points every, but it blows the budget I’m currently on. I wouldn’t recommend going into the draw without a license and without accessing points as a strategy to actually get to hunt NV. On the other hand, I’ll know about NM before the NV draw, and $16 will neither blow up the hunting budget nor interfere with the backup OTC/leftover options that I’ll be looking at after the NM draw.

Desert sheep for me again. I will have 25 NR points this go around. In NV it really doesn't matter. Last year one guy drew a NR sheep tag with 2 pts, another with 5 pts, another with 6 pts and another with 7 pts. 2 pts boys and girls. It does happen, do give it a go. JM

Last edited:
Desert sheep for me again. I will have 25 NR points this go around. In NV it really doesn't matter. Last year one guy drew a NR sheep tag with 2 pts, another with 5 pts, another with 6 pts and another with 7 pts. 2 pts boys and girls. It does happen, do give it a go. JM

Hopefully someone with 7 will draw again this year! ;)

Don't apply to Nevada. It is a waste of money. Tell all of your friends....hehehe.... :)

Im at 11 points and have drawn deer and pronghorn and had nice hunts. My goal is to draw a desert sheep hunt before I die and I am 35. Currently with 11 points the worst sheep units have about 1 in 200 odds which actually get worse every year with bonus point squared system....until people above me become physically unable to hunt and stop applying. I would not start Nevada now, however, if I did not have points already built up. Bonus points squared is tough to catch up with. If I ever draw and kill a sheep, I will burn my elk points asap on an ok unit and say goodbye to Nevada.

I've drawn an elk, deer, and antelope tag, and I'll keep pouring money down the NV drain hoping for a desert bighorn tag. If I ever draw the sheep tag I'll think about bailing out for good, but that ain't likely to a happen! Oh well, it's just money, can't take it with you.

No matter how many years I've applied, I get excited about the NV draw, it's good to dream!!!

Not sure how it will work this year, but if I recall correctly, last year the cards started to get hit after the results are posted. NV has a statute that results must be posted to applicants within 48 hours of the draw being completed.

If I don't draw my archery deer tag, I'm really sucking air. Anything beyond that would be a stroke of big luck.

Not sure how it will work this year, but if I recall correctly, last year the cards started to get hit after the results are posted. NV has a statute that results must be posted to applicants within 48 hours of the draw being completed.

If I don't draw my archery deer tag, I'm really sucking air. Anything beyond that would be a stroke of big luck.

Don't worry, we'll let you join us in Idaho if you have nothing else to do 😁 lol

Interesting. I figured since they’d be conducting the draw today, they’d be hitting cards too. I was looking forward to futilely checking my statement every five minutes today.

So, credit cards post after the results are emailed? Thanks.
I have been checking my pending CC transactions all morning.
I better put down the jelly doughnut and step away from my keyboard. Maybe go for a run and keep training for the awarded tag I'm gonna get on Friday!

Is there a backdoor for Nevada?

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back