Nevada draw who is applying?

Nothing for me this year. At least I get to go and hopefully help pack out a cow elk for my bro in AZ.

My daughter drew a deer tag and I drew a deer/cow combo. Hopefully this will be the year for a cow. Every time I draw a cow tag I only have shots at bulls....

You have to buy a hunting license to apply. Am I missing something? That’s $155, plus the $16 app fee for elk. As a non-res the highest odds elk hunt in the whole state was .19%. At .19% the odds of me drawing that hunt at least once over a 20 year period are 3.7%. That would be $3420 in applications without even considering tag price. Obviously the odds improve as you gain points, but the “easy” to draw elk tags in the system were still around 20-30% at 15pts. If I didn’t get plenty of mule deer hunting elsewhere it might suck me in. There are some 10%+ hunts for archery mule deer, and some rifle hunts over 1% that start getting Hugh odds by 10pts. As a rifle hunter who is happy to hunt mule deer in three other states, applying in Nevada is a very expensive gamble.
I have lived in Nevada my entire life 57 years,and have 17 Bull Elk points,7 Deer points and still got nothing this year,there is no way I would ever apply here if I was non resident,because of having to keep your lic. in order to keep your points,NDOW is nothing but a money hungry dept. Hunting was great here up until about the mid 90s,that's when our population went from 300 thousand to about 2 1/2 million today.

Last edited:
I have lived in Nevada my entire life 57 years,and have 17 Bull Elk points,7 Deer points and still got nothing this year,there is no way I would ever apply here if I was non resident,because of having to keep your lic. in order to keep your points,NDOW is nothing but a money hungry dept. Hunting was great here up until about the mid 90s,that's when our population went from 300 thousand to about 2 1/2 million today.
I have also lived here most of my life but I find it interesting that you point out the 90's because that is when the big game population crashed due to to a long lasting drought. Before then the area 10 and 7 had thousands of buck tags for both early and late seasons because there were so many deer. The game population would have crashed whether there were 300,000 or today's' 2.5 million.

I have also lived here most of my life but I find it interesting that you point out the 90's because that is when the big game population crashed due to to a long lasting drought. Before then the area 10 and 7 had thousands of buck tags for both early and late seasons because there were so many deer. The game population would have crashed whether there were 300,000 or today's' 2.5 million.

View attachment 107113

Sure, but unless the 2.2 million additional people added zero hunters the resident tags are spread thinner than they would have been.

Odds go up as a NR. I don't understand why residents don't draw tags with so many points. I also feel for them. I lived in Nevada for X amount of years (never drew my bull tag) moved to another state and the first time I applied as a NR I got my bull tag. My wife drew her Nevada bull tag (as a resident) with two points. NR people complain about the cost of the bull tags in Nevada. I would pay that fee ($1324.00) every year for my bull tag in this state even as a resident. Hunting bull elk in Nevada is an experience that can't be beat. My nephew applied this year for the first time as a NR and he ended up with a archery 6 deer tag. Good luck to all!

Odds go up as a NR. I don't understand why residents don't draw tags with so many points. I also feel for them. I lived in Nevada for X amount of years (never drew my bull tag) moved to another state and the first time I applied as a NR I got my bull tag. My wife drew her Nevada bull tag (as a resident) with two points. NR people complain about the cost of the bull tags in Nevada. I would pay that fee ($1324.00) every year for my bull tag in this state even as a resident. Hunting bull elk in Nevada is an experience that can't be beat. My nephew applied this year for the first time as a NR and he ended up with a archery 6 deer tag. Good luck to all!

That's impossible, nobody draws tags in NV. Just read all of the posts by ImBillT. 😭

Last edited:
That's an interesting statement. I'm sure it happened the way you said but it was blind luck. I wouldn't suggest moving out of Nevada if you have a pile of points thinking you'll have better odds of drawing as a NR. According to GoHunt, in 2018 for the tag I drew 437 residents applied for 20 tags. If they had 14 points they had a 52% chance of drawing. On the other hand, 1006 NR's put in for 2 tags. If a NR had the same 14 points their draw odds were a whopping 0.77%!!!! A resident with 1 point had 0.74%. At 24 points a NR hunter jumps all the way up to 2.2%. I'm not great at math but the odds of a NR hunter ever drawing an elk tag in Nevada regardless of the number of points they have purchased is almost like winning the lottery. Yes, every year tags will be issued to NR's but their dollars go towards funding wildlife. Simple math says that it takes 13.89 resident license and tags(@$195) to equal the revenue of the 2 NR tags ($2710) issued and that's not putting into count the NR hunting license and app fees contributed by the other 1004 NR's that didn't draw.

That's impossible, nobody draws tags in NV. Just read all of the posts by ImBillT. 😭

All I’ve done is bring some statistical analysis to the table. Of course some people will draw with zero points. Statistics prove that too.

Not to mention the post you responded to was actually full of inaccurate information.

^^^ I usually chuckle a little to myself when someone asks “how many years does it take to draw X tag” because outside of CO there’s not a correct answer to that question. It could come at any time. The average number of years is still only slightly meaningful because it could come far earlier or far later than the average. Instead, I ask myself two different questions “about how frequently can I draw X tag?” and “how many years do I have to apply to have Y% chance of drawing X tag?” The second question is important because two hunts with identical answers to the first question can have dramatically different answers to the second question. CO aside, anyone could draw at any time. Point systems do not directly impact opportunity(the first question) they directly impact the distribution of opportunity(the second question). They do indirectly decrease opportunity by stimulating, and falsely representing demand. They stimulate demand because people who aren’t even sure they want to go on the ride get in line knowing that if they don’t get in line NOW they may never get to go on the ride, even if they aren’t sure they want on the ride in the first place. They falsely represent demand by placing a person who wanted to hunt this year and was unlucky in the draw at the same point in the line as someone who had no intention of hunting this year and just bought a point to improve his odds in some future year. Allowing a hunter to buy a point at no risk of drawing and loosing his points is the most egregious sin of point systems.

Idaho’s draw odds are an excellent example of the actual demand. Goat tags with 10% odds and moose tags with 30% odds? Throw points on it and that will become 1% and 3% in two years or less.

Last edited:
I will not be likely to apply until they drastically change their system or I have a drastic chance finances. It’s just way to much money to invest and watch my odds actually get worse year after year due to squared points placing the guy in front of me farther and farther ahead with each passing year. Their system will eventually implode.

You have previously said you would not be applying in NV so why bother with all the negativity towards Nevada's draw system? Also, I seriously doubt NV will be changing the system to make the Mr. Negatives like you happy. There are plenty of people to take your place who don't just take it as throwing their $$ down the toilet.

You have previously said you would not be applying in NV so why bother with all the negativity towards Nevada's draw system? Also, I seriously doubt NV will be changing the system to make the Mr. Negatives like you happy. There are plenty of people to take your place who don't just take it as throwing their $$ down the toilet.

And right after the bold portion I said “or have a drastic change in finances”. The cost/likely benefit ratio is not worth it to me under my current circumstances. If I could apply in NV without giving up an application purchase somewhere else, then I would apply there, but I would do so with the knowledge that I may never draw a rifle elk tag, and if I did, it would more likely be drawn twenty plus years from now than than ten or fewer years from now.

Point systems have been dismantled before, and some of them will most likely be dismantled again. Is anyone ever going to change if those who like the system sing its praises and those who dislike it keep their thoughts to themselves?

I don’t think you’d have nearly as much fun on this forum if I didn’t answer when you prompted me.

Last edited:
Back