Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT elk tags are filled!

Big O

Trying to catch up a little this week so this post is better late than never.

Hit SW MT opening weekend and went 4 for 4 in 2 days. I took a 4x5, Keith a 6pt & Seth a cow on Saturday and Jay a cow on Sunday. I say every year I'm not shooting a raghorn.......maybe next year. This is about one of the most physically demanding hunts we do, a real azz-kicker, but still fun, for the most part;). Did not see another hunter while hunting or packing. Had the place to ourselves, again.

2 years of hunting this spot we have gone 7 for 7 with 5 bulls. It is now called the "meat hole". (old post of "3 bulls in 12hrs")

Some of the pics are not great, no MT-Millers in our group. Hoping to get Seth & Keiths pics & I'll post more.

Good luck to all!

Attachments

• Alder 2011 026.jpg
    Alder 2011 026.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,530
  • Alder 2011 047.jpg
    Alder 2011 047.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,574
  • Alder 2011 043.jpg
    Alder 2011 043.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,457
  • Alder 2011 044.jpg
    Alder 2011 044.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,545
  • Alder 2011 029.jpg
    Alder 2011 029.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,500
Nice looking bulls!!

I study the genetics (mainly shape and size of antlers) of elk and am curious as to which mountain range you took these bulls from? The dropped brow tine is very, very common - almost unique to the Bridgers/Bangtails in Montana. I am definitely not trying to find out where your honey hole is (I would never try to get that out of someone) but I am curious as to what range you took these bulls out of (Gallatin range, Bridger, Crazies, Bangtails, etc).... It's pretty hard nowadays with not very many check-in stations!!

Also sent you a PM

Thanks!

Nice looking bulls!!

I study the genetics (mainly shape and size of antlers) of elk and am curious as to which mountain range you took these bulls from? The dropped brow tine is very, very common - almost unique to the Bridgers/Bangtails in Montana. Thanks!

Unique to the Bridgers? I used to load/unload about 40-60 tons of elk antlers a year, droppy brow tines are found every place elk are found...

I think I can pin point to within about 500 yards of where one of those pictures was taken... Nice to have a honey hole, might want to keep it that way. ;)

AWESOME WORK!! I'm not telling anyone! My family and I have our own honey hole and NO ONE will be told of that place.

Unique to the Bridgers? I used to load/unload about 40-60 tons of elk antlers a year, droppy brow tines are found every place elk are found...

I competely agree... drop tines are not specific to anywhere and elk everywhere and no matter the age have them. That picture that shows the entire valley below along with the mountain ranges, I could almost pin point it immediately.

Even though my honey hole is on completely private land surrounded by more and more private land, all people know is that "it's up in the mountains".

Never give any info... honey holes are ruined quickly. Law of Large Numbers!!

By the way, nice bulls! Can't complain about that trip out to Montana!!

Congrats on the elk.

I think I can pin point to within about 500 yards of where one of those pictures was taken... Nice to have a honey hole, might want to keep it that way. ;)
I was thinking the same thing.

You still have time... Edit function works for 24hrs from the initial post in Hunt Talk - Least I believe so...

Yank the horizon pic out... :) TBH, for a honey hole with that kind of success 2 years in a row w/o seeing other hunters - some pics would stay in a vault. :D

Grats on a great hunt and honey hole! Those are far and fewer every year. Awesome setting!

I think I've flown over that. North east end of the crazies. Just north of sweet grass creek. Just a guess. BTW awesome hunt. Congrats.

So let me get this straight...your hunting spot is called "Big O's Meathole"?

Back