Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY/MT season wrap up

BuzzH

Wrapped up the WY and MT seasons the last few weeks, over all pretty darn good.

I had more fun in 2 days of elk hunting than I thought possible, helping both my nephews with their WY elk.

First up was my youngest nephew. The weather was pretty windy, but after a bunch of glassing I finally found 3 bulls bedded in a good spot to try a stalk. My 2 nephews and I made our way to the elk, which were about a mile and a half away. I got to large rock outcrop where I knew the bulls were bedded, but we couldn't see them due to a thick stand of pine trees. So, I decided to take a chance and move through the trees and we found them up and feeding in the small opening they were bedded in when I glassed them.

Logan got lined out on his bull, which was just under 100 yards away. One shot with his Tikka 7-08 and factory Hornady interlock 139 grain bullet and his bull made it about 5 yards and tipped over dead. His first bull elk:

40187.jpeg

Another look:

40191.jpeg

With one down and back to the truck with an hour to spare we went to another place to try to locate some bulls for my other nephew. I found 7 other bulls but we didn't have enough time to make a run at them. So we went back the next morning and I couldn't find them. But, I did find another group of 11 bulls that gave us the slip before we got into position. We tried another spot and found nothing. I decided to pick apart a timbered ridge with my spotting scope looking for bedded bulls as it was about 11 AM. After maybe 10 minutes of glassing I found 3 bulls. Aiden and I took off on what was again about a 1.5 mile stalk. The wind was iffy, but I felt like we could get close and it was worth a try. I tipped over the ridge and figured I was a bit too low, so hiked up another 50 yards, peaked over again and there were the original 3 bulls plus another 4-5 others I had not seen through the spotter. Aiden picked one out and resting over a tree limb made the 102 yard shot with ease. One shot tight behind the shoulder with his rem 700 7-08 and 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip and his bull was down after staggering downhill maybe 10 yards.

40475.jpeg

40337.jpeg

Went with a buddy after they were done to see if we could find a couple cows to fill our last WY elk tags of the season. Sure enough, found 3 large herds and we each killed one.

40419.jpeg

40417.jpeg

Going to hunt one more time for elk with a couple friends on Sunday and that should be it for elk for the year.

The end of the MT season was pretty good too with my brother getting a cow elk:

39336.jpeg

I found a pretty good whitetail buck a couple days later:

39542.jpeg

Took the nephews out the last couple days of the season in Montana and they both killed whitetail bucks, one shot each with their 7-08's. With all their other activities (cross country for the oldest and the youngest being a black belt in taekwondo) time was pretty limited for both of them.

IMG_20221123_100245658_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20221125_152155090.jpg

Great to see your young nephews getting out and being successful! I have similar plans next year and am looking to bring my son over to try a western hunt. Cant' wait.

Buzz, you are one serious and successful hunter. Also, like the write ups.

Absolute bloodbath.

Congrats on the fantastically efficient success and making some great memories with the nephews! And great buck!

Another parade of success from the “H’s”.

Congratulations on another year full of memories and full freezers

Damn! That’s a lot of fun to be had in such a short amount of time. Well done!

Back