Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Elk Hunt

Yooper906

Well, I have returned from Wyoming with a tag still in my pocket......but that's my own fault.

I arrived in Wyoming on Sept 17 and met up with a high school buddy who moved to WY five years ago. I pulled into camp late, we caught up quick before hitting hay. The next morning we hiked into a Wilderness area for the am hunt, didn't hear or see anything. My buddy is a teacher and had to leave Sunday afternoon, so I found a new spot in non-wilderness area.

Day 2- Still during grey light, I was able to slip into a bull periodically giving away his location. Once shooting light broke, I was 200 yards or so from his location (so I thought.) I gave a nice soft cow call to confirm my guess on his whereabouts, he bugled in the same general area as he has been. There was a small ridge from me that I wanted to beat him to, knowing if he beat me to this crest in the ridge he would have a visual on me. He beat me by 20 seconds and spooked. My plan/idea was good, he just beat me. Rest of the day slow.

Day 3- Same basin as before, had bulls bugling and tried making plays on them with no luck. About 4:30 p, a bull gave a light bugle. I had a decent idea where he was and was able to slip in. Spotted a cow at 60 yards in the timber, she knew something didn't feel right and was spooky. She bounded off, but the bull didn't. Not knowing exactly what to do, I bugled letting the bull know why his cow was on edge. The bull responded immediately and he was angry. After 20 mins or so of cow calls/moving away, I was full draw on a 6 point at 23 yards for what seemed to be 1:30 min (I really have no idea how long I was at full draw.) As archery elk hunting goes, there were two good size limbs from a blowdown sticking up and blocking the vitals of the bull. As much as I wanted to "tuck the arrow between the opening" it wasn't an ethical shot. I had no choice but to let down and the bull busted.

Day 4- Again early morning elk were talking and was able to play with them for a bit. Afternoon rainstorm blew in and I was getting wet. I slowly worked my way up the closed road I have been using to access this particular basin. Around 6:30 p, I figured I would give one last bugle before making my way to the truck, as I was soaked and not much was happening. I bugled, waited a few minutes for a response, nothing (typical of the day.) I put my head down and walked about 20 yards, looked up and there was a giant 75 yards away from me, coming down the road, he busted and ran off. Lesson learned.

Day 5- Same script as before in the mornings. Afternoon, worked way into a burn and wanted to check out an area that looked good on the maps. On final approach to the area in question, I bumped a herd of 10 or so, with one good bull.

Day 6- Woke up early early, had a bull screaming, but had two hours before daylight. Half hour before daylight was within 100 from the bull, who was still screaming his head-off. At this point my buddy is here and is the shooter for this setup. We are close to this bull and another hunter slips in above us, now three of us are "talking." The bull is worked up and is between us and the other hunter, we get to a meadow and have a dilemma, cross it or don't. The other hunter is across the meadow from us on a ridge, the bull seems to be at the head of the meadow in the timber still. Buddy makes the call to cross, so we did. We get over to the other side, my buddy is set up facing into the timber about 20 yards from me, my back to the meadow. Waited two minutes, real bull fires off and it shook me to my core, I slowly turn my head and there he is in the meadow at 40 yards away, I nock my arrow and am coming to full draw. Buddy, who is/WAS the shooter in this scenario, moves thinking he is still up, bull busted out of there. We didn't talk for an hour as frustration was setting in. At that moment, I truly believed the caller became the shooter (Me) due to the location/approach of the bull.

Day 7- Got onto a herd at first light and knew where they were going to bed. I got on their trail before the bedroom and was waiting. The bull was slowly working his herd my direction, as I could hear the herd. Literally, they were feet from stepping into my shooting lane when the wind swirled and they busted. Felt defeated because everything was going as planned. Chased this herd for the next two hours, with no luck.

Day 8- Am bulls were fired up, afternoons were quite. Nothing exciting really.

Day 9-10- the elk seemed to have left the area they were in my entire hunt. Never heard or saw an elk the last two days and headed home.

Overall, this hunt in Wy was my best elk hunt without a question. This fulfilled my expectations, as I wanted a better hunt than any of my Colorado OTC hunts. I called/had 5 bulls within 60-75 yards and was full draw on a very respectable bull. I had plenty of opportunities, but the mountain had different plans!

-Yooper

Sounds like you had a great adventure. Well done finding the elk and mixing it up with them at close range. That is exciting stuff even if you never take a shot. Thanks for sharing your story, it really got me pumped up for my Wyoming elk adventure that will begin in three weeks.

Spent 14 days at camp. I had cow elk at 20yds twice in the first few days. Didn't take a shot because I was holding out for a bull with my bow. 1 bull at 30yds later on, too no shot because of trees. Another bull cam in at 50 and just stood there looking at me. Again couldn't shoot. In my mind I had a successful hunt, even with out a kill. Enjoyed the time and experience. Go hunt and have a good time and learn. The Kills a gravy.

Well, I have returned from Wyoming with a tag still in my pocket......but that's my own fault.

I arrived in Wyoming on Sept 17 and met up with a high school buddy who moved to WY five years ago. I pulled into camp late, we caught up quick before hitting hay. The next morning we hiked into a Wilderness area for the am hunt, didn't hear or see anything. My buddy is a teacher and had to leave Sunday afternoon, so I found a new spot in non-wilderness area.

Day 2- Still during grey light, I was able to slip into a bull periodically giving away his location. Once shooting light broke, I was 200 yards or so from his location (so I thought.) I gave a nice soft cow call to confirm my guess on his whereabouts, he bugled in the same general area as he has been. There was a small ridge from me that I wanted to beat him to, knowing if he beat me to this crest in the ridge he would have a visual on me. He beat me by 20 seconds and spooked. My plan/idea was good, he just beat me. Rest of the day slow.

Day 3- Same basin as before, had bulls bugling and tried making plays on them with no luck. About 4:30 p, a bull gave a light bugle. I had a decent idea where he was and was able to slip in. Spotted a cow at 60 yards in the timber, she knew something didn't feel right and was spooky. She bounded off, but the bull didn't. Not knowing exactly what to do, I bugled letting the bull know why his cow was on edge. The bull responded immediately and he was angry. After 20 mins or so of cow calls/moving away, I was full draw on a 6 point at 23 yards for what seemed to be 1:30 min (I really have no idea how long I was at full draw.) As archery elk hunting goes, there were two good size limbs from a blowdown sticking up and blocking the vitals of the bull. As much as I wanted to "tuck the arrow between the opening" it wasn't an ethical shot. I had no choice but to let down and the bull busted.

Day 4- Again early morning elk were talking and was able to play with them for a bit. Afternoon rainstorm blew in and I was getting wet. I slowly worked my way up the closed road I have been using to access this particular basin. Around 6:30 p, I figured I would give one last bugle before making my way to the truck, as I was soaked and not much was happening. I bugled, waited a few minutes for a response, nothing (typical of the day.) I put my head down and walked about 20 yards, looked up and there was a giant 75 yards away from me, coming down the road, he busted and ran off. Lesson learned.

Day 5- Same script as before in the mornings. Afternoon, worked way into a burn and wanted to check out an area that looked good on the maps. On final approach to the area in question, I bumped a herd of 10 or so, with one good bull.

Day 6- Woke up early early, had a bull screaming, but had two hours before daylight. Half hour before daylight was within 100 from the bull, who was still screaming his head-off. At this point my buddy is here and is the shooter for this setup. We are close to this bull and another hunter slips in above us, now three of us are "talking." The bull is worked up and is between us and the other hunter, we get to a meadow and have a dilemma, cross it or don't. The other hunter is across the meadow from us on a ridge, the bull seems to be at the head of the meadow in the timber still. Buddy makes the call to cross, so we did. We get over to the other side, my buddy is set up facing into the timber about 20 yards from me, my back to the meadow. Waited two minutes, real bull fires off and it shook me to my core, I slowly turn my head and there he is in the meadow at 40 yards away, I nock my arrow and am coming to full draw. Buddy, who is/WAS the shooter in this scenario, moves thinking he is still up, bull busted out of there. We didn't talk for an hour as frustration was setting in. At that moment, I truly believed the caller became the shooter (Me) due to the location/approach of the bull.

Day 7- Got onto a herd at first light and knew where they were going to bed. I got on their trail before the bedroom and was waiting. The bull was slowly working his herd my direction, as I could hear the herd. Literally, they were feet from stepping into my shooting lane when the wind swirled and they busted. Felt defeated because everything was going as planned. Chased this herd for the next two hours, with no luck.

Day 9-10- the elk seemed to have left the area they were in my entire hunt. Never heard or saw an elk the last two days and headed home.

Overall, this hunt in Wy was my best elk hunt without a question. This fulfilled my expectations, as I wanted a better hunt than any of my Colorado OTC hunts. I called/had 5 bulls within 60-75 yards and was full draw on a very respectable bull. I had plenty of opportunities, but the mountain had different plans!

-Yooper
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you were in an excellent area. Your patience and perseverance were obvious, but the mountain had different plans.

Sounds like time well spent.

I'm guessing this was a general season tag? How would you rate the hunting pressure? We pulled our WY general apps this year after drawing coveted NM tag... So just curious.

Sounds like time well spent.

I'm guessing this was a general season tag? How would you rate the hunting pressure? We pulled our WY general apps this year after drawing coveted NM tag... So just curious.
Yes, gen tag. Pressure was not a factor at all. Don’t get me wrong I saw hunters on the roads, but only ran into one hunter in the “field.”

-Yooper
thanks for sharing -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back