Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WY/MT season wrap up

Wrapped up the WY and MT seasons the last few weeks, over all pretty darn good.

I had more fun in 2 days of elk hunting than I thought possible, helping both my nephews with their WY elk.

First up was my youngest nephew. The weather was pretty windy, but after a bunch of glassing I finally found 3 bulls bedded in a good spot to try a stalk. My 2 nephews and I made our way to the elk, which were about a mile and a half away. I got to large rock outcrop where I knew the bulls were bedded, but we couldn't see them due to a thick stand of pine trees. So, I decided to take a chance and move through the trees and we found them up and feeding in the small opening they were bedded in when I glassed them.

Logan got lined out on his bull, which was just under 100 yards away. One shot with his Tikka 7-08 and factory Hornady interlock 139 grain bullet and his bull made it about 5 yards and tipped over dead. His first bull elk:

40187.jpeg

Another look:

40191.jpeg

With one down and back to the truck with an hour to spare we went to another place to try to locate some bulls for my other nephew. I found 7 other bulls but we didn't have enough time to make a run at them. So we went back the next morning and I couldn't find them. But, I did find another group of 11 bulls that gave us the slip before we got into position. We tried another spot and found nothing. I decided to pick apart a timbered ridge with my spotting scope looking for bedded bulls as it was about 11 AM. After maybe 10 minutes of glassing I found 3 bulls. Aiden and I took off on what was again about a 1.5 mile stalk. The wind was iffy, but I felt like we could get close and it was worth a try. I tipped over the ridge and figured I was a bit too low, so hiked up another 50 yards, peaked over again and there were the original 3 bulls plus another 4-5 others I had not seen through the spotter. Aiden picked one out and resting over a tree limb made the 102 yard shot with ease. One shot tight behind the shoulder with his rem 700 7-08 and 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip and his bull was down after staggering downhill maybe 10 yards.

40475.jpeg

40337.jpeg

Went with a buddy after they were done to see if we could find a couple cows to fill our last WY elk tags of the season. Sure enough, found 3 large herds and we each killed one.

40419.jpeg

40417.jpeg

Going to hunt one more time for elk with a couple friends on Sunday and that should be it for elk for the year.

The end of the MT season was pretty good too with my brother getting a cow elk:

39336.jpeg

I found a pretty good whitetail buck a couple days later:

39542.jpeg

Took the nephews out the last couple days of the season in Montana and they both killed whitetail bucks, one shot each with their 7-08's. With all their other activities (cross country for the oldest and the youngest being a black belt in taekwondo) time was pretty limited for both of them.

IMG_20221123_100245658_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20221125_152155090.jpg
Congrats on the hunt guys pretty crazy stuff

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back