Caribou Gear

Montana Region 6 Management hunt

Nemont

If you want to extend your hunting season a little and don't mind taking a few whitetail does, there is ongoing management hunt going on in Region 6 and they are begging for hunters.

FWP reopens Milk River whitetail management season roster to all-comers

Hunters who missed last month’s invitation to participate in a management season for antlerless white-tailed deer in the Milk River Valley can call or visit Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ Glasgow office to join the roster of eligible hunters.

Fish, Wildlife & Parks hopes to harvest about 500 antlerless whitetails during the management season, which extends through Feb. 15. The special season’s boundary extends from Saco to Nashua and includes properties that were open to free public hunting during the general season.

“We need hunters’ help to balance the whitetail herd with the available forage,” says Harold Wentland, FWP’s regional wildlife manager. “It’s especially important to give landowners who allow hunting some relief from depredating deer. We didn’t get enough harvest during the general season, and our initial call for participation generated about 150 hunters. We can use even more, so we’re reopening the roster on a first-come, first-served basis.”

Hunters interested in participating in the season should stop by FWP’s office on U.S. Highway 2 West in Glasgow, call 228-3700, email [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> or fax 228-8161. Hunters should provide their name, their ALS (unique license number) number, phone number and address and indicate how many unused deer tags they possess from the 2006 season. Any unused deer tag that was valid in the general season will be valid in the Milk River management season, and hunters can also purchase up to 3 additional antlerless whitetail tags for the management season.

Hunters will be added to the roster and will receive a letter detailing the opportunity and a map indicating properties that are open during the management season. Hunters who participate in the management season are required to report their success via an electronic link at FWP’s Region 6 website, www.fwp.mt.gov/r6 <http://www.fwp.mt.gov/r6>.

My freezer is pretty much full but I have signed up for one doe tag since it will give me an excuse to get outside. I am thinking if taking one with a muzzle loader.

Bambistew said:
Are most of these ranches with "problem deer" leased durring hunting season?

No, as the press release states this hunt is to:

“It’s especially important to give landowners who allow hunting some relief from depredating deer.

This is open on lands open to the general public during the general big game season.

Nemont

Just because it says the ranches are open to hunting doesn't mean that they aren't leased and closed off to the public. If they are leased that would mean that they allow hunting does it not?

I find it hard to belive that if they allowed the public to hunt that they would have much of a problem with too many deer, unless the F&G underestimated the herd size.

This is the biggest problem with hunting today. One ranch allows hunting, the next doesn't, the next is leased and the one that allows the public on has very light kills because the deer just hop the fence.

Bambistew, ummm dude first off consider the size of Montana. Then consider the human population. After look at how many tags are sold to hunters. Once you have done all that you will realize that yes indeed, we have a lot of deer on public land in some places. It's the difference between MT and MD. ;)

Bambistew,

I completely agree with what you are saying but the intentions of this hunt is to help those ranchers that allows the public to hunt. In region 6 there is a fair amount of block management. I guess a guy could go ask the ranchers that have their place leased to the Real Tree boys but that isn't the intention. I think there is a problem with the trophy hunting syndrome that says shooting does is not acceptable. I watch guys every year hold out and they shoot a yearling spike or tiny 2 point just to fill their tag. If they were going to want to eat one why not take a doe?

There are many problems with hunting today, access being one of them. I know I am going to help out the guys who let me and me kids on to hunt deer and birds.

Nemont

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I just called Glasgow and they have added me to the list with my 2 left over tags. Freezer is pretty full, but I might be pretty bored in late-January and it gives me something to to while my tip-ups are out over there.:D

That may change if I shoot an elk with my game damage tag. As long as the commission goes along with the biologist recommendation, I should have one of those soon.:D

Sure sucks living in MT.;) :D

Bambistew said:
Just because it says the ranches are open to hunting doesn't mean that they aren't leased and closed off to the public. If they are leased that would mean that they allow hunting does it not?

Fish, Wildlife & Parks hopes to harvest about 500 antlerless whitetails during the management season, which extends through Feb. 15. The special season’s boundary extends from Saco to Nashua and includes properties that were open to free public hunting during the general season.

Even if I had a freezer full I'd shoot the does and either make jerky or find someone who needs the meat.

Nemont, I have good private land deer hunting available to me and any friends I want to take with me. I've used it to convert many mule deer hunters to whitetails. I had a rule, though. The first year they could shoot any whitetail they wanted, even a small buck. After that they had to either hold out for a big buck or shoot a doe, if all they wanted was meat. No shooting small bucks for meat. I'd tell them, "Look, I'm letting the small bucks go so they'll grow into big bucks, not so you can shoot just because you don't want to shoot a doe." I was surprised at how many of them just wouldn't shoot a doe, no matter what. They'd give all kinds of excuses for why they had to shoot a small buck instead of a doe. I quit inviting the ones who wouldn't abide by my rule. That sure surprised them!

mtmiller said:
Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I just called Glasgow and they have added me to the list with my 2 left over tags. Freezer is pretty full, but I might be pretty bored in late-January and it gives me something to to while my tip-ups are out over there.:D

That may change if I shoot an elk with my game damage tag. As long as the commission goes along with the biologist recommendation, I should have one of those soon.:D

Sure sucks living in MT.;) :D

I am surprised that you aren't on Andrew McKean's email list. He sends out these press releases from the Glasgow office and I always get them in the same email he sends out to the newspapers. Bet if you emailed him he would add you to the press release list.

I hope you get an elk. Still a couple of does would give you another reason to come and do some hard water fishing.

Nemont

Big Sky said:
Bambistew, ummm dude first off consider the size of Montana. Then consider the human population. After look at how many tags are sold to hunters. Once you have done all that you will realize that yes indeed, we have a lot of deer on public land in some places. It's the difference between MT and MD. ;)

Ummm dude... Wasn't comparing it to MD. I've been to MT to hunt a few times, even lived there for a while, and my family has been there a couple years too :rolleyes:. I understand what the problem is, I've seen it go from hunt anywhere to 'good luck finding a place to hunt'.

If you want to dig up stats... compare the number of hunters in Maryland (a quarter to that in MT) and then compare the total kill (4 times as high) Whats your point? I believe that the MT F&G has a stat with the total number of whitetail deer shot on private lands... seems like it was up around 75-80%. Maybe someone knows for sure??? Seems like the mule deer was around 65%. The percentage in Maryland is something like 90%.

They were proposing a similar 'hunt' in the valley where my parents live in SW MT but didn't do it, because the majority of deer live on ranches that are one leased, or two don't allow hunting or its very limited. Its a fuggn joke. They sell OTC doe tags, plus you can buy another in the draw and there are always tags left during the general season. No one wants to shoot does, or IMO the main reason is you can't friggn find a place to hunt so people save thier money.

I applaud the ranchers that let people hunt, but the ones that let you shoot only does shouldn't be allowed into the program... It should be all or nothing. My ol man lets anyone with a rifle hunt his place, but none of his neighbors do, therefore he gets fugged every year! He'd condemplating putting up a 10' fence around his ranch to keep the deer out! Don't blame him when they eat half his second cutting or half his oat crop!

The neighbors covet the bucks like they are gods mightyest creation, and then tell you what doe you can or can't shoot if they even let you hunt. One ranch that has about 800-900 acres harbors roughly 350 deer maybe more... They allow doe hunting the last week of the season after the two guys that control the place have filled thier buck tags... if they havn't filled them by that time they don't allow any hunting...

Other 'ranchers' in the area are loaded $$$ so ranching/farming is not their main income. One guy basically 'raises' deer, he literly planted 200 acres of "deer food"... I can't imagine its any diffrent along the Milk with all the publicity its got in the last 10 years. The last time I hunted up there 4-5 years ago, it was a joke to try and find private property to hunt. Can't imagine its any better now. I've never seen so many signs that say "No hunting don't even ask"...

I don't dissagree that there is good hunting on public lands up there however, but IMO I doubt the number of deer on public lands is the problem.

I have no problem what so ever with them having the hunt, but its getting to the point that no one wants to control the game populations. Outfitters IMO are at the top end of the problem, with the trophy hunting mentality coming in second.

Elk hunting in SW MT is no difrent. Half the areas are open to either sex all season long, and people would still rather kill any bull than go home with a cow for the meat.

Bambistew,

I just stopped by the Region 6 HQ here in town and picked up the info packet. Here is verbatim what is allowed to be hunted:

The Milk River Valley between Nashua and Saco. Hunting is allowed ONLY on WMA's and designated private lands (see map) owned by interested landowners, that have been determined by MFWP to be open to free public hunting during the 2006-hunting season, within the boundaries of the Milk River Valley Management Season in portions of HD's 630 and HD 670. All lands closed to free general public hunting during the general 5-week season are not eligible to be hunted.

North East Montana isn't South West Montana there are still places that allow access. Whether you agree with this hunt or not it allows for does to be taken on lands open to general public hunting. I can purchase three more does tags plus the my A tag I never filled because I played guide to my girls and their hunting first.

Nemont

Thanks for the info. You are right, there are still good people around in MT but they are getting far and few between.

Like I said wasn't against the hunt, and am glad that they are giving the LO's that allow hunting the incentive to keep doing so.

Back