Montana Muzzleloader season bill

Folks will be psyched until they realize its hard to hit a pie plate at 100 yds with a roundball/open sights....consistently.
But the lead will fly regardless.
Harvest won’t be high but harassment will. Push the animals right off public where they prefer to be without pressure. It’s just dumb, I would be all for doing it in November that would be better than nothing. This is just dumb and will lead to less animals on public.

Folks will be psyched until they realize its hard to hit a pie plate at 100 yds with a roundball/open sights....consistently.
But the lead will fly regardless.
Correct...but wait a few years, they'll be back demanding powder pellets, sabot's, 209 primers and 6.5-20 power scopes.

Count on it.

They'll frame it as reducing wounding loss and being "better for the resource".

Harvest won’t be high but harassment will. Push the animals right off public where they prefer to be without pressure. It’s just dumb, I would be all for doing it in November that would be better than nothing. This is just dumb and will lead to less animals on public.
But I will be able to sell more hunts, Might even be able to cash in on the late arrivals that only winter on the property.

Correct...but wait a few years, they'll be back demanding powder pellets, sabot's, 209 primers and 6.5-20 power scopes.

Count on it.

Any restrictions on the snowmobile? Does it have to be a one lunger? If not does anyone have intel on a scabbard for a Polaris RMK that will fit a Pennsylvania long rifle?

Any restrictions on the snowmobile? Does it have to be a one lunger? If not does anyone have intel on a scabbard for a Polaris RMK that will fit a Pennsylvania long rifle?
I doubt it...but maybe we could talk JM77 into loading up his tracks and we can all cruise north together.

What is hard about that? Seriously.
Rifle hunters have a process to reach their shooting satisfaction with a given firearm. Having gone through the learning curve of dialing in a patched roundball I feel the process is different enough to be frustrating for the average hunter. Its not as simple as jacking a round in and fussing with your sights .
Maybe the BP process is easier now with readily available Intel.
Even though I have harvested a moose and a handful of muledeer with a patched ball I still am not a huge fan, preferring,say, a Hornady Great Plains bullet. The lead bullet is more predictable, accurate, and does more damage.
Even after the smoke pole is shooting properly external factors can still disrupt things.
So , yeah, guys can figure it out but I still feel the learning curve is more challenging.

Will this season start in 2021 or 2022?

I see the comments in this thread about patched roundballs, but as I read the bill you can use a conical. The only specific requirement is that the bullet be a "plain lead projectile." That will extend the effective range and the real limitation will be open sights.

Last edited:
Will this season start in 2021 or 2022?

I see the comments in this threat about patched roundballs, but as I read the bill you can use a conical. The only specific requirement is that the bullet be a "plain lead projectile." That will extend the effective range and the real limitation will be open sights.
Thanks for bringing to light this aspect.
I haven't read the bill. All things considered, I am relieved they are allowing a conical bullet for a variety of reasons I stated prior.

Muzzleloaders work fine in the general rifle season.

4324B65B-7244-4B64-8B53-E45C991A4D21 (1) (1).jpeg

Why did we need yet another hunting season - its because of that 'opportunity' thing, isnt it?

Why did we need yet another hunting season - its because of that 'opportunity' thing, isnt it?

Why muzzleloader seasons elsewhere? Seems there is a division within hunters for specific seasons (and that's not traditional either). I'm opposed to extending the time frame involved with hunting though supportive of removing the last week of archery and creating it as a one week traditional muzzleloader hunt.
Why? For myself, it upholds Montana's core of traditional take of big game. No bear baiting, no *electronics, etc.

Great pic! What a great way to take one!

*electronics is getting gimpy permitting electronic assist rifle scopes... Ya, the fear, if electronic rifle scopes what's to say muzzy lags off the traditional bandwagon... Heard it. Hopefully it would be fought to maintain the traditional. "hopefully..."

Count on it.

this will definitely happen...it will take time but it will happen.

I got my 50cal Double rifle ready so I can ride shotgun on someone's sled

On the plus side, there were a couple of spike muley bucks left after season last year that played hell with my quakies in the yard. I shouldn't have to worry about that again.
On the minus side, now I have to buy a muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back