Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Muzzleloader season bill

Gevock

A bill to mandate in state law a muzzleloader season is in the draft stage. LC 1512, sponsored by Rep. Caleb Hinkle, R-Belgrade, calls for a "muzzleloader heritage hunt." This looks to be the first of many bills to micro-manage Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, and put into statute things that should be the purview of the state Fish and Wildlife Commission.

I'd encourage Montana hunters to pay attention to these bills, go to montanawildlife.org and click on the Bill Tracker. You can also join our Legislative Action Team on our homepage.

Nick Gevock, MWF

Hopefully MWF and other groups testify against this bill. I haven't heard much opposition to it and it's a little alarming. Not that I have anything against muzzleloaders, I'd even support the bill if it replaced a week or two of the tail end of the general rifle season. I just think the last thing the mule deer need is 9 more days of pressure.

I'd even support the bill if it replaced a week or two of the tail end of the general rifle season.
Same sentiment however, limit the # of tags available and I'd be curious how many would actually jump onto a muzzleloader end season 9 days. IMO, it would be a fraction the # of archery hunters. Not sure it would be "adverse" to our wildlife conservation.

The harm I see is legislature managing FWP's role however, maybe someone can chime in here, isn't FWP only able to work within the legislative laws, as it is?

Example: Our law does not allow wolf trapper funding support organizations to promote trapping wolves as Idaho allows. It would take legislative branch to remove the so called, "bounty".

Is FWP able to create a traditional muzzleloader only season? Maybe so...

If I recall, this is specific to traditional cap and ball muzzleloader. Not sabot, etc.

Same sentiment however, limit the # of tags available and I'd be curious how many would actually jump onto a muzzleloader end season 9 days. IMO, it would be a fraction the # of archery hunters. Not sure it would be "adverse" to our wildlife conservation.

The harm I see is legislature managing FWP's role however, maybe someone can chime in here, isn't FWP only able to work within the legislative laws, as it is?

Example: Our law does not allow wolf trapper funding support organizations to promote trapping wolves as Idaho allows. It would take legislative branch to remove the so called, "bounty".

Is FWP able to create a traditional muzzleloader only season? Maybe so...

If I recall, this is specific to traditional cap and ball muzzleloader. Not sabot, etc.

@Sytes, The Fish & Wildlife Commission could institute a muzzleloader season right now with their existing powers. Why hasn't anyone brought this forward? Some folks have griped about not having a muzzleloader season while being prolific Blue Minivan hunters, but I've not seen a petition to do this in a long time at the Commission level. Has anyone else?

Like you, I am fine with a muzzleloader season after the general season. Keep it restricted to front stuffers w/ no breech loaders and no scopes and have at it for 10 days, 2 weeks.

Here's a link to the bill: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billpdf/HB0242.pdf

If someone were to bring this to the Commission, rather than the legislature, then I think it could actually pass. It's the setting of seasons in statute that should worry every single one of us.

Some folks have griped about not having a muzzleloader season while being prolific Blue Minivan hunters, but I've not seen a petition to do this in a long time at the Commission level. Has anyone else?
Toby was beating this drum when he was with the muzzleloader industry back in the early to mid 2000's

1612379097187.png
... seems like plenty of time to take the old smoke pole for a walk if that's your thing

Have fun with that transferable landowner tag you got to shoot that outfitted elk, with a muzzy during the rut...

1612379516951.png

Toby was beating this drum when he was with the muzzleloader industry back in the early to mid 2000's
I’m surprised he’s not more vocal about this. His stories of his “hunts” from last fall are worth a read for comedic value

I’m surprised he’s not more vocal about this. His stories of his “hunts” from last fall are worth a read for comedic value
Where would one find these fine literary works?

Facebook. Heres the short version, “Everyday I drove my suburban over into my neighbors field and sat inside it hoping something would step out”

I will say he does have a good looking Labrador

The rabbit hole / slippery slope.

Montana has managed pretty well in this area, imo. No baiting, specifics for archery equipment, etc. If we kept it raw traditional, iron sytes powder, patch, ball...

Well here's an example. I'm usually pretty humble with people taking photos of me though, I'll share this one. ;)

2cc16ec58458c354a0b2edcba973c1c5.jpg

The rabbit hole / slippery slope.

Montana has managed pretty well in this area, imo. No baiting, specifics for archery equipment, etc. If we kept it raw traditional, iron sytes powder, patch, ball...

Well here's an example. I'm usually pretty humble with people taking photos of me though, I'll share this one. ;)
Great read, I think it will really help you understand the issue at hand

1612384936291.png

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back