Montana Muzzleloader season bill

I've been told that MT BHA is releasing their statement of support this afternoon. Disappointing to say the least.

The archery season isn't adding new seasons at a time of year elk and deer are more vulnerable.
I understand that. My comment was specific to the thoughts for a specific traditional muzzleloader week - within the current seasons. Not increasing the season time frame.

Montana has an already very generous rifle and archery season. ADDING a season instead of reallocating some of the existing seasons to muzzleloader is asinine.

Montana has an already very generous rifle and archery season. ADDING a season instead of reallocating some of the existing seasons to muzzleloader is asinine.
Muzzleloaders may be used from August through the middle of February, with shoulder seasons, wilderness hunts, restricted weapons area seasons, and general season. There is already ample opportunity for use of that weapon to hunt big game.

With that thought process, no reason to have an archery season. There are reasonable limitations for traditional muzzleloaders as with archery.
I believe the first archery season was in the 1970s? 73 maybe and was 1 week for elk and 2 weeks for deer.

I understand that. My comment was specific to the thoughts for a specific traditional muzzleloader week - within the current seasons. Not increasing the season time frame.
Honestly, I think a traditional muzzy season the last 9 days of the current general season might be a good idea.

Give the deer a break, during the rut.

I'm with you on that point, though I don't that that is what this conversation is about.

Here is the response I received from MT BHA:

"We strongly believe season setting authority should remain with the commission, however many legislators don’t agree. This is a challenging session and committees have shown they will push through bills despite overwhelming opposition. Our support of this bill is highly conditional based on working with the legislator to move it from the originally proposed time (which was to be between archery and general), keeping any extra season short, and adding strong weapons restrictions that prohibit optics, breech loading, etc.

I share your frustration but please know this decision did not come lightly and was made in an effort to preserve what we love about Montana."

I share your frustration but please know this decision did not come lightly and was made in an effort to preserve what we love about Montana."
Preserve what we love about shooting the hell out of every available animal on public land for half the year? No way for me to mince words, their support of this bill flat out pisses me off.

I'm with you on that point, though I don't that that is what this conversation is about.
Agree. Conversation wasn't specifically about BHA either... guess that's the nature of HT threads. A valid concern for BHA or those affiliated.
I think we'd like to keep it within the FWP commission - or speaking for myself, I'd prefer it to stay there vs State legislature.

My question was based on opposition towards a specific traditional muzzleloader season, as archery or the extended season - if presented for FWP. I should have added.

Unless I'm missing something the original date was week six of archery, which is mid October.
Correct, I mistakenly said peak rut in response to the post I quoted. Not peak of the rut, but the tail end of the rut in mid October.

I would like to see what's now called the rifle season shortened a week or two and bow season to completely go away. Archers can hunt in the general season as could muzzle loader guys.

Last edited:
Always got a chuckle.

Joslin, G., and H. Youmans, coordinators. 1999. Effects of recreation on Rocky Mountain wildlife: A Review for Montana. Committee on Effects of Recreation on Wildlife, Montana Chapter of The Wildlife Society.307pp.

Physiological Impacts of Human Disturbance
The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks has, for many years, prohibited public access to dedicated big game winter ranges between December 1 and May 15. This closure is intended to prevent disturbance and harassment of game animals during a period when physical stress is already relatively high. Managers also recognize the counterintuitive logic of compounding climatic stress with late hunting seasons, but such seasons are sometimes the only available management tool. Very often, road closures can be used as an adjunct method of reducing simultaneous disturbance by hunters and vehicles. Gates and Hudson (1979), found that activity by elk in cold temperatures results in a thermoregulatory penalty, that is, it takes more energy to move in winter than in the fall. Thus, while inactivity provides an energetic advantage for animals exposed to cold, forced activity caused by human disturbance exacts an energetic disadvantage. Geist (1978) further defined effects of human disturbance in terms of increased metabolism, which could result in illness, decreased reproduction, and even death.

Muzzleloaders may be used from August through the middle of February, with shoulder seasons, wilderness hunts, restricted weapons area seasons, and general season. There is already ample opportunity for use of that weapon to hunt big game.

I think you're missing the point of my post...

I think you're missing the point of my post...
No, I get your point. I was merely trying to point out the muzzleloader hunting opportunity coinciding with the "generous rifle and archery" seasons. Yes, even during archery only season in weapons restricted areas. The intent was to further make your point, but show no need to "allocate" any special season.

Add in 9 more days of muzzleloader season set in statue, and now pounding cows in HD 580 till Feb. 15 because a landowner thinks elk may end up on his property. Shoulder seasons on top of shoulder seasons.

And to top it off BHA’s support of the muzzleloader season is beyond puzzling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back