Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Muzzleloader season bill

Increasingly specialized recreation. The argument for a lot of these specialty seasons was to get more hunters in the field, which would in turn mean more conservation dollars/advocates. That never set well with me. Rather it seems that these extra seasons are really there to prop up industry. If you have 5 different weapons seasons a hunter has to buy 5 weapons and all the specific accruement. And in turn it's another pillaging of a public resource for private gain.

We'll keep divvying up the pie until the pie's not worth having.

I don't know why we even have seasons anymore

@JLS beat me to it. I want to be able to shoot spotted elk calves. I wonder what senator I can get to carry that bill for me

Won’t be long till elk season is as long as wolf season and there will be more ways to kill them.
Every damn session this muzzleloader season crap comes up and we we have to find a way to kill it. It gets real old.

Edit: never post angry

Last edited:
Why not make the Shoulder Season Muzzle Loader, archery, or crossbow only ? You would satisfy the push for crossbow and ML seasons by inserting these weapons into a season that is already on the books.

Why not make the Shoulder Season Muzzle Loader, archery, or crossbow only ? You would satisfy the push for crossbow and ML seasons by inserting these weapons into a season that is already on the books.
You can already use all those weapons during the shoulder seasons.

You can already use all those weapons during the shoulder seasons.
I understand those weapons can already be used. It appears that the folks pushing for the ML season and maybe the crossbow season, are wanting a season where centerfire rifles are not allowed.

I understand those weapons can already be used. It appears that the folks pushing for the ML season and maybe the crossbow season, are wanting a season where centerfire rifles are not allowed.
That's not it at all, they didn't try to cut into the rifle season. I would be all for the muzzleloader bill if it reduced the general rifle season by a week or two.

I would be all for the muzzleloader bill if it reduced the general rifle season by a week or two.
That's crazy talk. Montana doesn't reduce any season until there is damn near nothing left.

I
That's not it at all, they didn't try to cut into the rifle season. I would be all for the muzzleloader bill if it reduced the general rifle season by a week or two.
I think ,bigsky2 we are thinking along the same lines. Don't add more season days for the special weapons folks. Just take a block of the current season dates (maybe a week), and dedicate those days for the ML and CB folks.

Take the last 3 weeks of rifle season and make it Primitive Muzzle Loader season(no scopes or in-lines) and I can go for it. Upside, no reduction in days able to hunt, less impact on resource, win/win.

Downside is only for the deer/elk, round ball in the ass, goes well with the broadhead someone stuck in them during archery season. Now that there is funny...unless you're an elk.

Take the last 3 weeks of rifle season and make it Primitive Muzzle Loader season(no scopes or in-lines) and I can go for it. Upside, no reduction in days able to hunt, less impact on resource, win/win.

Downside is only for the deer/elk, round ball in the ass, goes well with the broadhead someone stuck in them during archery season. Now that there is funny...unless you're an elk.

Only if archery season is reduced to strictly the month of September. No free lunch for anyone, archers included.

Because of course nothing is ever wounded with a rifle...

I know there were some comments earlier in the thread about the support given by The Montana chapter of Back Country Hunters and Anglers, they (MT BHA) did issue a statement through email today, explaining where they were coming from initially. It is worth a read in my opinion, and does show that they’re trying to represent their members as best they can, and are willing to admit when they make an error. See the email/statement I got from John below.

The Montana Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is a member-driven organization. Listening to our members and maintaining our member-driven mission is what makes us effective.

Montana BHA’s board leaders are members of the organization and volunteers, myself included. Our goal is to carry out BHA’s mission and represent our members across a wide variety of access, habitat and fair chase hunting and fishing issues in Montana. I am proud of our record on behalf of BHA, on behalf of you and on behalf of our sporting heritage.

One week ago we gave conditional support to HB 242, which would establish a primitive muzzleloader season for nine days after the end of the general big game season.

It's become clear that we made a mistake.

Time and again we have opposed wildlife management legislation on the basic principle that the legislature should not be passing laws that interfere with the job, expertise and responsibility of the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks and the FWP Commission. We also believe - and have gone on record in the past - that Montana’s big game deserve a break after six weeks of archery-only hunting and five weeks of the general big game season.

Yet, against the backdrop of a challenging and fast-moving legislature, we gave conditional support to an improved HB 242 (believe it or not, the first proposal was even worse, and there were details that we overlooked).

We received a lot of feedback from our members re: our conditional support of this bill. Please know that as we strive to represent you, we truly value your input. We hear you. And we're willing to admit our mistakes.

To that end, we are pulling our support for HB 242, and we will oppose this bill and any similar efforts.

Sincerely,

John B. Sullivan III
Chairman / Montana Chapter
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
[email protected]

Last edited:
Only if archery season is reduced to strictly the month of September. No free lunch for anyone, archers included.
I’m thinking you’ve had a bad experience or 10 with archery? Damn bow hunters.

I’m thinking you’ve had a bad experience or 10 with archery? Damn bow hunters.
Not really, just if we're going to get serious about giving wildlife a break, we don't need to be archery hunting them for 10-12 more days in the month of October. We want rifle hunters to give deer a break during the rut, but not expect archery hunters to do the same with elk during the rut.

Makes no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back