Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Elk Management Plan Citizens Advisory Committee

Trying to decide if “Kill them all from a helicopter “ is a clear and concise statement that reflects the current and future objectives for MT elk strategy.
The level of hyperbole in this statement is uncomfortably low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically, said NR would have a MUCH deeper knowledge of the issue than most of the people shaping the EMP (although helicopters can't be part of his solution :) LOL). Also, I see landowners are already lobbying to have a strong presence in the shaping of the new EMP. If they have the same level influence, then may as well change the date on the old one and leave as is. Sorry to be so negative. I agree, some on this forum would be excellent ambassadors for the sportsman in the shaping of the new EMP (if truly listened to).

Ironically, said NR would have a MUCH deeper knowledge of the issue than most of the people shaping the EMP (although helicopters can't be part of his solution :) LOL). Also, I see landowners are already lobbying to have a strong presence in the shaping of the new EMP. If they have the same level influence, then may as well change the date on the old one and leave as is. Sorry to be so negative. I agree, some on this forum would be excellent ambassadors for the sportsman in the shaping of the new EMP (if truly listened to).

Where do you see this lobbying? ( I ask curiously, not combatively.)

It will take a massive effort from sportsmen to ensure that this plan remains in the domain of the public trust. It's not going to be enough to have people on this committee to advocate for elk & good management. We're going to need to step up as citizens and keep our engagement strong.

Where do you see this lobbying? ( I ask curiously, not combatively.)
If you read the link OP provided, I'm referencing the comment quoted by Brian Ohs. For the record, I don't mean "lobbying" in the sense of them in Helena at the Capital building (although they may already be doing that).

How about you?

Due to our platform profile, I carry too much baggage. No matter what I might suggested or position I might advocate for there will be some who oppose. And those critics who did not like a certain position would say I was doing it to benefit our many platforms, not because it is good elk management. Just a reality of sitting in this chair.

I will gladly push forth any of the many qualified Hunt Talkers who throw their hat in the ring. I'll let them use this forum and our other platforms to be a megaphone for the points they advocate for that represent the best interest of hunters who hang out here and on our other platforms.

When you jump into the place I have, you cut the ropes to a lot of other mechanisms, this EMP committee being one of many.

Due to our platform profile, I carry too much baggage. No matter what I might suggested or position I might advocate for there will be some who oppose. And those critics who did not like a certain position would say I was doing it to benefit our many platforms, not because it is good elk management. Just a reality of sitting in this chair.

All due respect, I guess I don't know why your case would be any different than someone with AG interests, or an outfitter, or any other person with a somewhat economic relationship to elk. Not trying to argue or convince you otherwise, but I wouldn't see them as any less indifferent. Maybe that is your point, we need people who aren't economically associated with elk.

I really hope some HuntTalkers apply for this group.

All due respect, I guess I don't know why your case would be any different than someone with AG interests, or an outfitter, or any other person with a somewhat economic relationship to elk. Not trying to argue or convince you otherwise, but I wouldn't see them as any less indifferent. Maybe that is your point, we need people who aren't economically associated with elk.

I really hope some HuntTalkers apply for this group.

My own thoughts here, Fin has done a lot of heavy lifting in the past. It's time for some new blood to step up to the plate.

Randy's wisdom & thoughtfullness are legendary. Those are the tools of experience. I hope he continues to pass that wisdom and thoughtfullness on to the next generation of conservation leaders, Bret (staring uncomfortably at you).

Fin has done a lot of heavy lifting in the past. It's time for some new blood to step up to the plate.
I agree, but there are benefits to all that heavy lifting. He has built a support network that gives him immediate legitimacy. That and the fact that he is thoughtful on the subject, understand both sides, and knows a lot about how other states' management plans work means he would be respected by the members of the committee. Whomever chooses to run will need that network of support and Big Fin's personal knowledge regardless.

I agree, but there are benefits to all that heavy lifting. He has built a support network that gives him immediate legitimacy. That and the fact that he is thoughtful on the subject, understand both sides, and knows a lot about how other states' management plans work means he would be respected by the members of the committee. Whomever chooses to run will need that network of support and Big Fin's personal knowledge regardless.

No disagreement with any of that, but if we don't build up new leaders, then we won't have them to teach the generations behind them.

You are correct, but sometimes the baggage reduces the ability to reach across the aisle and drive a point home.

I see @Big Fins point. Look at the political spectrum of you need plenty of examples, and we are all guilty of it, myself included. If Kerry White has the best idea in the world, it would still have an incredibly difficult time gaining traction simply because of baggage.

No disagreement with any of that, but if we don't build up new leaders, then we won't have them to teach the generations behind them.
On board 100%. I have found in similar instances that even highly qualified volunteers may be reluctant to submit the app because they might not feel comfortable with the self-promotional process. Ironically, these people tend to be great listeners and often understand the complexities better than others. So...who do we need to put peer pressure on?:)

You are correct, but sometimes the baggage reduces the ability to reach across the aisle and drive a point home.

I see @Big Fins point. Look at the political spectrum of you need plenty of examples, and we are all guilty of it, myself included. If Kerry White has the best idea in the world, it would still have an incredibly difficult time gaining traction simply because of baggage.
It seems today everything is political and becomes baggage at some point. Anyone who walks into this is going to get assigned baggage whether they like it or not.

It seems today everything is political and becomes baggage at some point. Anyone who walks into this is going to get assigned baggage whether they like it or not.
True....

On board 100%. I have found in similar instances that even highly qualified volunteers may be reluctant to submit the app because they might not feel comfortable with the self-promotional process. Ironically, these people tend to be great listeners and often understand the complexities better than others. So...who do we need to put peer pressure on?:)

I've already leaned on a couple to submit. I can easily think of 10-15 on this site that would be excellent choices.

But just as importantly, there needs to be an increase in activism from hunters individually, or through their favored organization on this. MWF, RMEF, BHA, local Rod & Gun Clubs, whomever - be involved and become a leader. Leaders are the ones who show up and do the heavy lifting while others show up for just the rallies & selfie-ops.

Back