Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Looky what I stumbled on to.

Gerald Martin

This year I had made my peace with elk. I was going to be okay with having an unused elk tag in my pocket at the end of the season. My wife killed a beautiful 6 point for her first bull while I was with her so I got be in on a kill and a good pack job. We had enough meat for the freezer so the pressure was off for me. My goal for the rest of the season was to try to find a nice buck and just enjoy myself.

Last Friday I headed up a local drainage to look for a decent whitetail or possibly the monster mulie that my brother -in-law had seen in the area a week before. There was a slight skiff of snow and a few day old tracks indicated that some deer and one or two elk were using the ridge I was on. Around 11 am I looked across the canyon and caught this bull up and browsing in the heavy timber. It just happened that he was in one of the few openings that I could see into. A quick look through the binos confirmed he was not a raghorn and my truce with elk was off. That's the gist of the story, I wish I could act like I hunted my tail off for this bull but I guess sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

I just wish I could have had my brother or my hunting buddy from Virginia along with me. They more than anyone else I know are due an easy elk after all the years, miles, and effort they've put into trying to kill their first bull.

It sure was nice to have a bull down early in the day since I was by myself and the place he died was not fun to butcher a critter in.

Attachments

• Gerald's 09bull 018.jpg
    Gerald's 09bull 018.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 662
  • Gerald's 09bull 014.jpg
    Gerald's 09bull 014.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 689
Nope definitely not a raghorn! Congrats on a great bull!!

I keep looking at this picture and am impressed with the coloring on the antlers...I've come to the conclusion that you carry around a wood stain when elk hunting.

Last edited:
Gerald,

Great bull and the freezer should be full now! Congratulations!!

Congrats Gerald. Quite a season at the Martin residence. I am amazed that guys can even find an elk up in that thick country, let alone shoot one. Great job.

Very nice, congrats!! I'd love to work my butt off for a bull like that, let alone get it 'easy'...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back