Looking for a Colorado Bighorn

Sweet! Keep it up, you guys will get it on film!!

I have no idea what the plans are for the show, but I honestly think there would be very little better than a hunting show that showed it like it really is... which is what you guys are doing. SPend 5-10 days hunting hard and not getting a shot on a big critter... Then...once in a while, like this hunt...you'll get a good kill shot on film!!!!

Maybe your outfit should use "The Truth" as your motto...

Just heading off the mountain. Only took a couple pics today. Complete whiteout blizzard all day. Spent most the time tucked in the scrub alpine trees hiding from the 40+ mph winds. Saw 6 ewes/lambs today - no rams.

We have to move camp. We are in 8" of snow and it is piling up fast. Forecast for up to a foot more by tomorrow. To give you.a feel for the road that comes up to camp, it is less than four miles, but takes 1:15 to get up here in good weather.

Probably no other posts toniught. Will be late by the time we get to civilization.

Will hunt lower tomorrow, but forecast is for zero visibility above 6,000', which is the entire unit.

Thanks for the help with the weather forecast, Oak.

Ram down at 2:30. Finally coverage on this side of the mountain. One hour to the truck.

This will be a classic.

Pics tonight.

Congrats guys. Way to get it done in some tough conditions. Can't wait for the pics. Fin just so you know it is NIGHT right now. :)

Where are the pics?!? I won't be able to sleep until I see them. Good job on a tough hunt guys.

Congrats to the crew. Hopefully I will see the pics in the morning.:D

After pulling camp last night, I was completely exhausted. Courtney, the tagholder, had a friend who let us use his cabin last night. Everyone crashed and none of us woke until way past daylight. We needed the rest.

Finally, after a good breakfast, we scoured the maps to determine what lower areas we could hunt, at this low level of visibility. We spent most the morning looking for places that had some visibility.

Courtney decided to look at a place he had heard of, but really was way down his list of possibilities. We drove up the mountain, to the point where visibility was getting really bad. Finally, we pulled off on a spur road that would get us up the valley a little, and allow us to glass the opposite hillsides (cliffs as most people would call them). The first pic is what we had for visibility.

We had no more than stepped out of the truck, and Troy, lead camera guy/pack mule/all around great guy, says he thinks he sees sheep in amongst the snow swirls. Courtney confirms Troy's sighting and exclaims they are rams. I am in disbelief. I really expected the day to be a bust, given how poor the visibility was. To find rams, even as high up as they were, was very encouraging.

Within short order we had a plan. Courtney and Troy would climb to where the rams were bedded, and I would stay down to glass where the rams might move to, and give hand signals with my large orange hat, hoping to guide them to where the rams were. If I heard a shot, I would climb up with packs and other gear, and help with the task at hand.

Almost as soon as they started up the hill, I lost sight of the guys. The rams were staying put, but I was struggling to see them through the ever increasing snow fall.

In a stroke of luck, the snow stopped for about fifteen minutes. I was able to locate the guys crossing the chute way above. They had now been in progress for almost an hour. They stopped and glassed me for hand signals. They were almost exactly at the same elevation as the rams. They now had to traverse about 700 yards west, and they would have a shot at the rams across another chute.

As quickly as the storm had subsided, it fired back up, with even more vigor. I was now completely lost as to where these guys were at. They were somewhere near the level of cloud cover, but seemed to be just high enough that I could not give them any of the agreed upon hand signals.

It was very frustrating to be 600 yards across the canyon and not be able to see the hunters. I was frantically trying to give them directions based on where I thought they were, but had to do so in a manner that did not spook the sheep.

About a half hour after losing sight of the guys, I noticed the first of the six rams get up and relieve himself. A few minutes later, all the rams were up and milling around. The rams now walked slowly down a chute and then crossed over a ridge to a small opening that was slightly below where I had last seen the hunters.

I was now frantic in my attempts to gather the attention of the hunters. I knew they were above the rams, but was not sure how far east or west. The cloud cover was so thick, I was having trouble even seeing the rams. Figuring the rams would struggle to see me, I started a long spell of signalling "down and left, down and left." I was not sure if Courtney and Troy could see me. The other camera guy, Randy, was filming my antics, and probably laughing at the level of panic in my efforts.

I had all but given up that the hunters had crossed above the rams. I sat down and watched the rams alternate between grazing and bedding in a small opening. The cloud cover was now starting to lighten, and the snow was tolerable. The rams seemed completely unaware of my presence, or the presence of any hunters anywhere nearby. Given the relaxed nature of the rams, I was certain that Courtney and Troy could be no where nearby.

I resolved that another chance had slipped through our hands. I was watching the rams, trying ever imaginable mental exercise that could help me guide Courtney to these rams.

As my hopes sank, I watched as the band of rams sprung to action, with five going up and across the cliffs, with one ram heading straight down. In a nano-second, I hear the report of Courtney's .270 WSM, followed instantly by the smack of a bullet hitting its mark. I watched as the one ram headed down and stopped in some trees and then disappeared. As my focus returned to the location of the rams, Courtney and Troy emerged not ten yards from where the rams had been. Wow, that must have been some close quarters shooting.

I watched as Courtney and Troy scoured the rocks and snow for signs of a hit. I watched in despair as they followed the tracks of the five rams that had quartered uphill. I wanted to yell and give then directions as to where the wounded ram had went, but in the wind, it would be of no value. I continued to watch the timber, where the ram had went, making sure he did not leave.

Finally, Courtney and Troy came back to the original location. I was relieved to see them start following the track that went downhill. About five minutes later, I heard a great yell, which I knew was a sign that all had come together.

I quickly grabbed the packs and headed down the slope and up the cliffs on the other side. I gave instructions to Randy, as to where we would most likely come out, as we would try to come straight downhill, as much as possible. He would drive down and pick us up, wherever we might emerge from the cliffs.

My adrenaline was high as I started up the chute to where I knew the ram had expired. Even with that much energy, it was 45 minutes before I was within hearing distance of two very happy and chattering guys.

The ram had died under a tree. Courtney and Troy explained that they had seen my signals and started dropping downhill, back from where they had originally climbed, though they questioned the sanity of going downhill. They stated when the peaked over the rocks, the rams where in the thick brush a mere 40 yards away. The timber was so thick with small aspens, that finding a shooting lane was almost impossible.

Courtney was almost in disbelief, given all we had been through, the weather conditions, and the effort required. He was a happy man.

In his usual calm and collected self, Troy just smiled, as if he knew all along that we would get it done. I really cannot over state what an amazing camera guy, hunter, hiker, and friend Troy is. He is a large part of why our show is what it is.

I had promised Courtney that I would skin, quarter, and cape his ram. Given how relieved I was that we had pulled it off, I was more than glad to provide such services. Courtney protested, but I demanded.

Within two hours, we had the ram caped, skinned, quartered, and loaded in the Mystery Ranch Crew Cabs. Now for the challenge of coming across these steep faces, with full packs, on fresh slippery snow. This was going to be very difficult. We tried a short cut, which took us lower, and allowed us to side hill some steep slopes, but slope much tamer than if we had tried to go directly to the truck.

Two hours later, and we had the truck in sight, and what a great sight it was. It is taking my last ounces of energy to type this post. We are all exhausted. Hunting sheep in these conditions, at high elevations, is very draining. And the ups and downs of blown chances and difficult weather, make sheep hunting as much of a mental game as it is a physical game.

Anyhow much to tell, but I am too tired to go on much longer. It will be an episode that will show how many of you struggle and persevere in your hunts, just as we have tried to do in our hunts. The scenics will be off the charts, as will the conditions under which this was filmed.

Enough for now. Thanks for following along.

Somewhere in the snow, at the top of that chute, are six nice rams bedded and unaware that the On Your Own cameras are coming their direction.
IMG_4305.JPG

Two happy guys.
IMG_4318.JPG

Courtney, still smiling, and Troy, sharing some recognition for a hard earned episode.
IMG_4325.JPG

A little plug for the Mystery Ranch packs. This ram, along with all the filming equipment, came out on three Crew Cabs.
IMG_4331.JPG

Almost dark as we drop the final 600'.
IMG_4341.JPG

WOW! If that doesn't make you yearn for a rocky mtn. bighorn tag I don't know what would. Congrats guys. Great photos and an incredible trophy.

Back