Light weight rifle options

midwesthunter

Thinking about buying or building an ultra light rifle. Something in the 6.5lb or less range. When looking at factory options I know of the following, am I leaving any out, anyone have any experience with any of these?

Savage Ultralight 5.8lb or 6lb depending on chambering.
Savage lightweight storm 5.6lb or 5.8lb depending on chambering
Weatherby Mark V backcountry 5.4lb or 6.3lb depending on chambering
Tikka T3 lite 6.4-6.5lb's depending on chambering
Kimber Ascent 4lb 13oz or 5lb 6oz depending on chambering
Bergara Mountain 6.2-6.4lb's depending on chambering

I left Remington out as I am unsure what their future holds as a rifle manufacture. I do have a Rem 700 30-06 mountain rifle but that round is obsolete lol, just ask around the gun forums and FB pages. And thinking I may want something in the 6.5- or 7mm bore.

Of that list, I would take the Tikka T3X lite in a new stock every time - and if the pound was that big a deal I would find it somewhere else in my "kit". Also, with rifles, lighter is not always better - you add recoil and "whispiness" both of which can reduce practical accuracy.

I would add Kimber Hunter to this list. If you want to go very light, google <So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.>

was just in this boat and went slightly used Barrett Fieldcraft in 264 O’Connor

few people complain about Tikkas. I like mine

Thinking about buying or building an ultra light rifle. Something in the 6.5lb or less range. When looking at factory options I know of the following, am I leaving any out, anyone have any experience with any of these?

I left Remington out as I am unsure what their future holds as a rifle manufacture. I do have a Rem 700 30-06 mountain rifle but that round is obsolete lol, just ask around the gun forums and FB pages. And thinking I may want something in the 6.5- or 7mm bore.

Have you tried working the bolt on a Kimber Mtn. Ascent? I ask because I thought I wanted one of those until I went to Sportsmens Warehouse and worked the action on one. The bolt bounced up and down on the rails and was not smooth at all. I don't know if it was due to the fluting on the bolt or what but it was a show stopper for me.

Browning x-bolt pro - 2020 was 6lbs 1oz or 6lbs 5oz the new 2021 xbolt mountain pro listed at 5lbs 14oz and 6lbs 2 oz.

Sako Finnlight is listed as just a hair over 6 lbs, although mine in 6.5cm is 6lbs 0oz according to my rapala scale.

Also Sako Carbonlight.

Have you tried working the bolt on a Kimber Mtn. Ascent? I ask because I thought I wanted one of those until I went to Sportsmens Warehouse and worked the action on one. The bolt bounced up and down on the rails and was not smooth at all. I don't know if it was due to the fluting on the bolt or what but it was a show stopper for me.

I second this. The gun salesman told me that it would smooth out over time, but when you run the Kimber bolt then run a sako or even browning xbolt there really is no comparison. Once you are paying $1200+ for a rifle these things are dealbreakers for me. Also the bolt lift on the kimber is close to 90, the sako and xbolt have around 60 degree which is another preference.

Last edited:

I'd like to handle one of these....

Tikka is probably the most common - they are very prevelant.
I have a Ruger American that is pretty light and for the cost of a Tikka you can get the American and put a nicer stock on it that is still light weight but might bump you a tad over the 6.5.
I am having a some work done on a Kimber Montana and it will be about 6.5#s.

Also Winchester Featherweight and Sako Finnlight should be in there.

and .30-06 isn't obsolete - just impossible to find ammo for like everything else. Having said that I went with an oddball caliber instead of the .30-06 because I wanted something more exciting. I don't regret it but I will get another .30-06 in the future.

Browning x-bolt pro - 2020 was 6lbs 1oz or 6lbs 5oz the new 2021 xbolt mountain pro listed at 5lbs 14oz and 6lbs 2 oz.

Sako Finnlight is listed as just a hair over 6 lbs, although mine in 6.5cm is 6lbs 0oz according to my rapala scale.

Also Sako Carbonlight.
Figured your rapala scale would have said it weighed a pound or two heavier ;)

I'll have a similar setup - Leupold VX3i though on the 280AI Kimber Montana and Talley's. Guys doing some customer work to it for me so mine might be a tad heavier.
I pulled 8 ounces of gel from the stock, makes it sound hollow but I dont really mind it. I stumbled across a great deal on that swaro otherwise I would have stuck a vx3 on it.

I pulled 8 ounces of gel from the stock, makes it sound hollow but I dont really mind it. I stumbled across a great deal on that swaro otherwise I would have stuck a vx3 on it.
Nice, I'll look at that.
I am going to throw it on the scale once I get it in hand finished. Then I'll look at options. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back