Need a lighter rifle

Depending on how much you want to spend, for an inexpensive rifle (300-400) look into either a Ruger American or a Stevens m200. I have owned two m200s and they are extremely accurate and reliable. they weigh around 8lbs. with the scope. I don't own a Ruger, but have heard good things from several friends who have them.

get a Weatherby ultralight, standard calibers 5 3/4pds, mags 6 3/4 pounds naked. new $1500 used $850-1k. has a B&C stock, fluted 26" barrel on mags, 24" on standards

I bought a Browning xbolt medallion in 300 win mag last year. Beautiful gun, only weighs 7lbs and is 8 ounces lighter than the Winchester Featherweight in the same caliber. Hands down, the least felt recoil of any .300 win mag Ive ever shot.

I have been all over the map as far as price and different rifles. I don't really want to spend more than $1200 on the rifle alone. I don't think I can find a Finnlight for that price. The Winchester 70 extreme looks like it might be on my short list. I have never even handled a Howa, but will tonight. Still regretting not buying the 700 mountain stainless -06 for $700.

The only animal I have ever shot offhand (that I can remember) was my wolf. I always try to find some sort of rest. I like being able to naturally point a rifle for quicker acquisition in the scope.

Thanks again to everybody here.

That's nuts, they can be had on the used market for $600 (blued) $700 (stainless) all day long.

Another option in the $1400+ range is an original Remington Ti, you can get a 30-06 based chambering for around that, anything in the .308 family tends to run $1600+ with 260 closing in on $2000.

I assumed we were talking about new guns. Sorry.

If your considering the winchester extreme weather then you should check out montana arms co, i have the xwr and its very similar to the winchester ew.

I was with you....just think it's odd with such disparate pricing between new and used. For a few more bucks I'd go with an original Ti.

I actually think the 90's 700 Mountain Rifles are better than the current ones anyway. I have a .270 Win that shoots as good as my .308 LR rig.

If your considering the winchester extreme weather then you should check out montana arms co, i have the xwr and its very similar to the winchester ew.
Agreed! Especially like how the MRC trigger is so simple and open, like the one Winchester built their reputation on.

Chuck- I asked that question as I have never heard anyone think the TIkka was too barrel heavy. Most folks like a bit forward balance for offhand shooting. If it works for you...

Weatherby vanguard series 2 backcountry! Or model 70 extreme weather ss would be my suggestions. From the sounds of your rifle though, anything would be a step in the right direction! Good luck

I handled both the Win extreme and the Kimber Montana today. I Thought the fit, finish action, and stock on the Kimber felt a lot better. Both rifles were the same price. $1200. I don't know if I can find a Montana for any cheaper or not, but I think I may have found my rifle. I'm looking at the 300wsm as to be able to stay with the shorter action. Anyone have experience with this combo or more insight into the Kimber Montana?

Head over to 24hourcampfire and look around. Lot's of Montana shooters there with a ton of info. mtmuley

Call Lolo sporting goods in Lewiston ID. I bought my Kimber from him. Good price.

I own two Kimber Montana and love them. Great lightweight rifle.

I killed my Mt Goat with a .280 Rem MR(2013 SS model). It shot sub MOA out to 500 yds easily, but took a lot of effort to keep the barrel whip in control. Be mindful of this when looking for a super light rifle, particularly in higher recoil guns. Of course laying prone on a 30 deg slope didn't help the situation on my goat.

Thank you for the leads. $1200 seems to be the standard price new for these rifles. There is one in town here for just under $1200 that looks like it has been on the shelf for a long time.

I think it will be interesting learning to shoot a rifle like this. Going from my current rifle to something half its weight will hopefully teach me to be a better rifleman.

Back