Need a lighter rifle

I have/had a 700 mountain stainless synthetic. It is the base for my new custom. I personally didnt like the feel of the stock and because of the thin barrel the gun didnt balance right for me. I don't think I would have been steady enough to shoot without a rest. Putting a new stock and fluted barrel on it. I forgot that winchester makes a rifle stmilar to mt custom build, not sure if the model though.

I'd suggest first you decide what weight you want the rifle to be. The options suggested so far range from 5 to nearly 9lbs. Once you decide that suggestions can be made for about any price range.

That said, even a rifle that comes in at 7-8# is going to feel like a feather compared to what you're carrying. Once you ballpark a weight and price folks could be a lot more specific on their suggestions. Right now about all hunting rifles are "lighter" than what you are using... ;)

The Rem 700 mountain contour barrels usually shoot well. With my 30-06, the POI really goes for a walk when the barrel heats. So for the first 3 shots it was fine, after that it was anyones guess. I also had to relieve the barrel much more than expected. I was getting erradic grouping, and finally pinpointed it on the whipping barrel. I didn't think it was possible for a steel tube to whip that much.

I just picked up another 700 mountain adl in 30-06. Ijust had the bolt fluted and skeletonized. I'll do some other crap to it and see if I like it.

Another lightweight option to consider is the lowly Ruger American. My daughter has one. It shoots with the best of my rifles. Bang for the buck, it's a front runner at $450 for a stainless version.

My 700 -06 started to have problems when I cracked the stock on a fall.
I replaced it with a Hogue Overmolded full bed and a new Timney trigger.
It is tack driver again and weights a fraction of that beautiful walnut one was.

I am a huge Winchester fan, and love the featherweight. My go to rifle now is a Winchester Extreme weather. Great lightweight rifle, with fluted standard taper barrel. Comes in the classic claw extractor action. Hard to beat, mine is in 270 WSM. They make a blued and stainless version.

Doesn't make much sense, but my featherweights are so pretty....I don't like to carry them in the field.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001c&mid=535206

I have/had a 700 mountain stainless synthetic. It is the base for my new custom. I personally didnt like the feel of the stock and because of the thin barrel the gun didnt balance right for me. I don't think I would have been steady enough to shoot without a rest. Putting a new stock and fluted barrel on it. I forgot that winchester makes a rifle stmilar to mt custom build, not sure if the model though.

I bought a tika lite hunter and have the same prob. No way of ever being steady enough to take a off hand shot. It's way out of balance. I perfer heavy rifles but can be hard when carrying all day. Been looking at getting a laminate stock for mine

The Winchester Extreme weather looks like an awesome rifle. I was handeling a Kimber Mountain last night, and it was very hard to naturally point off hand. I think something with a little more barrel weight would be a far better hunting rifle. The Rem 700 mountain seemed to point very naturally for me. The Tika t3 light might be a good shooting rifle, but if feels extremely cheap to me. I would prefer something with a carbon/kevlar/fiberglass stock as opposed to plastic.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

What's your budget, and what caliber do you prefer, you seem to be bouncing around a bit.

IMO:
$500-800 - M70 FWT, Remington Mountain, Tikka T3 with a stock swap.
$1000ish - Howa Alpine, Kimber Montana
$1300-2000 - Sako Finnlight, Semi custom 700 (donor action + premium barrel)
$2000+ - Kimber Mountain Ascent, Full custom.

I bought a tika lite hunter and have the same prob. No way of ever being steady enough to take a off hand shot. It's way out of balance. I perfer heavy rifles but can be hard when carrying all day. Been looking at getting a laminate stock for mine
Are you saying you want the Tikka to be more back heavy than it is?

As others have said, I'd figure out how much rifle you really want to carry in the field. Most sporter weight rifles should be about 7lbs naked, in a synthetic stock. That will translate to about 9.5-10lbs with a scope, mounts, sling, bipod and ammo, or 8.5-9lbs w/o the bipod. This will be a very noticeable difference from the 13-14lbs you are currently lugging around. I know what that's like... 3 of the last 4 seasons I hunted with a rifle that tips the scales around 13lbs.

The lighter you want to go, the more $$ it will take to achieve. If it were mine to do, I would be looking at a Winchester M70 Extreme, Sako Finlight or the syntetic sporter weight rifle with your personal favorite action. I do not personally have experience with the Howa Mtn rifle, but it is intriguing.

If I was looking at a Winchester, I would look at the Extreme Weather, lighter than the Feather weight.

I would also say a Tikka shouldn't be scratched off your list. I won one in 7mm RM, and swapped out the stock for a B&C Medalist, and it made all the difference in the world for recoil and handling.

The other maker you might take a look at is Forbes Rifles. they can be found for the price of a Kimber Montana and I have heard good things.

Are you concerned about doing a lot of off hand shooting, or do you expect to shoot off a rest primarily? I was a little worried about this too with my recent build, but it shoots great off of a pack or other rest. Might be a different story if you are trying to make an off hand shot in a crosswind though.

Wow! You guys are great. I will be reading about different rifles for a couple more months. Thanks BigFin, I didn't even think about the Howa. The Sakko finlight looks awesome, but I should be looking for a less expensive rifle...maybe not? Anyone have any experience with the REM 700 Mountain? I was going to buy a used stainless/synthetic one and hesitated.

Have you priced a Remington Mountain Rifle lately? They're pushing a grand. Get yourself a Kimber Montana for $1200 and forget everything else.

Have you priced a Remington Mountain Rifle lately? They're pushing a grand.

That's nuts, they can be had on the used market for $600 (blued) $700 (stainless) all day long.

Another option in the $1400+ range is an original Remington Ti, you can get a 30-06 based chambering for around that, anything in the .308 family tends to run $1600+ with 260 closing in on $2000.

Have a Ruger liteweight in 30-06 & really like the gun. Easy on the body. Shoots great. Does have a little kick in 180 gr & 200 gr. bullets on the bench, but very nice with 150 & 165 gr bullets.

If money is not big problem, then you can't go wrong with Forbes rifle

http://www.forbesriflellc.com/home.html

I've had/have quite a few "light" rifles. Some others on the less expensive side to consider besides what has been mentioned.

Ruger Ultralight
Remington M7

I've had the above mentioned, a couple actually, as well as 700 Mountain Rifles, a Kimber Montana, and a couple Winchester Featherweights, as well as a smattering of "sporter weight" rifles. M700's are probably the lightest of the sproters, and really with a stock swap and a light scope/ring setup you can keep them under 8lbs on a short and just over on a long.

They all have a bit different feel to me, they all were more than accurate enough for my level of shooting/hunting, and others shoot way better than I can shoot them in the field.

I'm pretty partial to the Mountain Rifles, I agree with T-Bone, they take a wander after about 3 shots, before that... the two I have are the most accurate rifles I own, of about a dozen currently.

I've been using a Kimber Montana for the last couple years, it shoots well on the bench, but I'm on the fence with how much I like it when hunting/shooting. Its really hard to shoot off-hand, and I have to be really diligent about trigger break to make sure the movement doesn't pull it target. The trigger is pretty light already. That's 100% my fault for not shooting it enough, though. Its a dream to carry though. Right at 6lbs scoped and loaded.

I really don't see any advantage to the Mountain Accent or Adirondack. The weight savings is minimal, and if you are really hung up on the couple oz, you can swap the Montana trigger guard for and aluminum one and swap out the bolt for a Ti version and get half way to the weight difference for about $150...

Good luck with shopping.

I have a Browning Xbolt synthetic stalker in 30-06, i think it is everything you are looking for in a lightweight rifle.
Cheers
Richard

If you are a Facebook user, there are a pile of Buy, Sell, Trade groups that are strictly for guns and ammo. I watch them for deals and there are some good ones out there for people willing to wait. At lunch time I was on it and saw a Remington Mtn Rifle in 280Rem with Leupold VXIII & 80rounds of ammo for $550. I thought that was a good price.

Back