Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Need a lighter rifle

Thank you to all who provided their insight. I took a road trip to Shedhorn Sports in Ennis today. I think they had six Kimber MT's in stock. I was able to pick between two in 300wsm. It was very nice to talk to knowledgeable folks at a gun counter, and to not be treated like I'm a first time gun buyer/idiot. Had two folks at Missoula Cabelas tell me that they don't make a Kimber MT in 300Wsm after I already told them I had researched and held one in my hands. Sorry for the rant, but I highly recommend Shedhorn. The price difference there more than paid for my gas.

I plan on adjusting the trigger on this thing before shooting. I will have to save some to put the scope on it that I want, so it might be a little while before I can update on how well I can make it shoot.

I use a Kimber in 325 WSM, great shooter and easy to carry. Does a number on a bull elk.

I have read through the thread on 24 hour campfire. I already checked my magazine box, and it is good to go. Both of the action screws are the appropriate length, and the chamber looks smooth as glass. The trigger has a very small amount of creep, and it is a little heavier than what I like. Other than a trigger adjustment and possibly bedding, I think it should be a great shooting rifle.

I should have listened to the guy at the "other" gun counter who told me a 300wsm won't kill elk! That was from his personal experience of "double lunging two cows, and having both run and never stop." Makes sense, since the 300wsm is almost balistically identical to the 300 wim mag, and we all know those just bounce off of elk! All kidding aside, I chose the 300 wsm for multiple reasons, some being; ballistics, availability of factory ammo, availability of reloading components and info, the short action, and to have something a little different.

Congrads on the rifle !!!
I have made so many trips to that great store (SHEDHORN SPORTS ).
My wife just cringes when im heading there.
PS.
Thanks for the info on the 300wsm ....guess they will just stay in the safe...wife and I are stuck on the three 300 ultramags we have . I havent seen any bullets bounce off yet from them .😆😆
Any way hope the new rifle treats you well . I will be watching for a report.

MT.PERCHMAN

Shedhorn Sports had a great display at the Bozeman gun show last weekend. I handled a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and a 280 AI they had there. Both rifles felt so light compared to my old Model 70 300 mag. I think Shedhorn is a top notch outfit from my visit with them.
Congratulations on your new rifle.
Dan

Back