Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle test drive

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
The other day I picked up the first Howa Alpine Mountain rifle to be shipped from Howa. Got a Leupold scope mounted on the Tally lightweight rings, adjusted to trigger to 2.5# and this week, finally had some time to start breaking in the barrel.

I did the break in as recommended by Howa. Takes a bit of range time to shoot a round, scrub the fouling and copper, let it cool, clean it of any residue, then shoot again. I repeated that step ten times with one round between cleaning. Then, do five more sessions with two shots between cleaning. By the time that is finished, a 20-round box has been spent and you see a difference as things progress.

Tonight, I did some more break in, wanting to make sure things were in good shape before heading to Alaska. By the time I did my last five-shot group, it was pretty dang good. Especially for a 20" barrel that was a little heated up by the time the fifth round cleared the tube.

I am very impressed with the feel and balance of the rifle. Very compact and solid. The rifle I have weighs in at 5lb 6oz before the scope. I think that is where the final production rifle will end up.

Rifle #00001, is a 7mm-.08, as I requested. I love that caliber and it seems to make a lot of sense for a rifle of this weight. I see some guys going with longer cases and larger calibers for their lightweight rifles, then brakes on them to handle the increased recoil. I hate muzzle breaks and the ear trauma that comes with them, so no breaks for me. If I can't kill it with a 7mm-.08, then it is my fault.

The barrel and action is completely Cerakoted. The new Howa HACT two-stage trigger is very crisp with no creep. I might put a little more weight to the trigger, as right now, it pretty fast at 2.5#.

This rifle has a Leupold VX-3 CDS 3.5X10X50mm. Might be more scope than makes sense on a lightweight rifle, but for now, that is what it will wear.

I don't expect great groups while I am still cleaning in between every shot during break in on a new barrel. This is about what I expect during the process.

Getting a little better as the fouling is less and the barrel seems to be getting a little smoother.

By the time I finished a final five round group, I was pretty pleased. This group was with a clean and dry barrel. Shoot two, then clean with an Otis Mongoose, followed by a dry patch. Shoot one, then another pass with a Mongoose and a dry patch. Finish with two more shots.

I am interested to give this rifle a serious test in Alaska. I really like the feel of the stock. In addition to proving its worth at the bench, this is a very nice looking setup.

They are finalizing production plans to start dealer deliveries in August. They expect to have 200-250 of these hitting dealer racks each month. Once I know for sure the scope packages and pricing options that will be available, I will post them here.

Now, all I have to do is find an Alaska black bear who wants to be a TV star and give a proper christening to this rifle.

This is sweet! I like the 7mm08, I sometimes regret converting mine to a 6.5 Creedmoor. That rifle should treat you well all over the US.

Has Howa beefed up their floor plates at all? All of the rifles I've checked out have a very light "tinny" floor plate. So light in fact that the hinged end of the plate will bend if it is over extended. Just wondering if this has been seen by other guys.

That is a fine looking rifle. I am kinda interested in buying a lightweight mountain rifle been eye balling them for some time.

What's the stock on it? Glad to see they found a way to lighten your pack.

Has Howa beefed up their floor plates at all? All of the rifles I've checked out have a very light "tinny" floor plate. So light in fact that the hinged end of the plate will bend if it is over extended. Just wondering if this has been seen by other guys.
This one's apparently DBM.

Nice looking, but if that last group doesn't cut its self in half soon, I'd be sending it down the road. Some folks might consider that acceptable accuracy, but I'm not one of them. Sure is nice looking though, and I'm a big fan of the 7mm08. I've had one or more since they first came out in a factory rifle back in the 80's.

Nice looking, but if that last group doesn't cut its self in half soon, I'd be sending it down the road.

I'm guessing it would look a lot better if all 5 shots were through a fouled barrel. As it was, 3 shots were with a clean barrel.

I bet tinkering with hand loads might change that group a bit as well.

I like the looks of the rifle...should be a winner for Howa.

I wonder if there will be a couple different barrel lengths available?

What's the stock on it? Glad to see they found a way to lighten your pack.

The stock is from the former company owned by Mark Bansner, High Tech Specialties. It is their Ultimate Lightweight Stock, with Bansner/High Tech now owned by Legendary Arms, a subsidiary of TROP, Ltd.

Some of you are familiar with the High Tech stocks, or at least if you are a fan of Bansner's custom rifles. Those stocks are injection-molded with urethane foam over seven layers of fiberglass and epoxy composite. Probably over-built for a guy like me, but I'll take it.

This one is OD, with a textured finish. It also has a Pachmayr Decelerator butt pad.

To maximize strength between the action and the stock, these come pillar bedded. Some guys like that, some don't.

Yes, the magazine is a 5 round detachable mag. It does come with the traditional floor plate, if you want to go that route, and in doing so, you will have the standard 3 round magazine. That floor plate kit is included in the box when you buy your rifle. Pretty simple to swap those out.

Probably the thing that would best improve those groups is to have a different guy behind the trigger. The last five-shot group is about the norm for any rifles I have just broke in and shot through clean barrels. I suspect my talent could be part of the issue and that a better trigger man will get those groups even tighter, especially when the rifle has a few more rounds and I am not cleaning it every few shots.

Someone PM and asked if the rifle was weighed with our without the magazine. I weighed mine without the magazine and without the rings. With both of those, I suspect you are getting closer to 5 lb 10 oz.

Nice looking gun, maybe I need to buy one of those "for my daughter":D

Back