Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle test drive

The weight advertised was 5.7 lbs. That equals 5lbs 11 oz. No mention in the advertisements of different models weighing different amounts. A consumer would expect, from the info given in the advertisements, that the weight of the rifle would be 5 lbs 11 oz.
My rifle weighs 6lbs 1 oz. That's a difference of 6 oz. This is confirmed on 2 different digital scales, thus minimizing the notion of scale deviations.

Apparently, therefore, the tolerances of the factory producing the stock are rather lose, allowing for 6 oz variations.

Either that or there is dishonesty in the advertising.

That's the only explanations.

I have not yet had the opportunity to take it out to find out for myself. But there is a youtube video on the interweb of the shop owner shooting my exact rifle before I bought it from him. In it he's able to get it to shoot MOA-ish with factory hornady ammo. I'm hoping I can do better with handloads. But, as I said, I haven't had the opportunity as yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qdhoh81iQ

The weight advertised was 5.7 lbs. That equals 5lbs 11 oz. No mention in the advertisements of different models weighing different amounts. A consumer would expect, from the info given in the advertisements, that the weight of the rifle would be 5 lbs 11 oz.
My rifle weighs 6lbs 1 oz. That's a difference of 6 oz. This is confirmed on 2 different digital scales, thus minimizing the notion of scale deviations.

Apparently, therefore, the tolerances of the factory producing the stock are rather lose, allowing for 6 oz variations.

Either that or there is dishonesty in the advertising.

That's the only explanations.

I'm guessing this is average weight for all calibers/chambers.

The larger the caliber the lighter the rifle should be. By my math the difference between a 243 and a 308 is about 8oz assuming a 17" bore on a 20" barrel. So by average, you should be off about 4oz than what is advertised on the extreme end of the calibers offered.

The only manufacturer I know of that actually lists the different weight by caliber is Kimber.

I'm guessing this is average weight for all calibers/chambers.

The larger the caliber the lighter the rifle should be. By my math the difference between a 243 and a 308 is about 8oz assuming a 17" bore on a 20" barrel. So by average, you should be off about 4oz than what is advertised on the extreme end of the calibers offered.

The only manufacturer I know of that actually lists the different weight by caliber is Kimber.

That is actually a very smart point. If they only took the weight from the .308, then the 7-08 would be more. If you wouldn't mind, could you show your calculation? I'd like to see what assumptions you've made for mass of steel, and the calculus you used to come up with the volume of a hollowed out cylinder that is 0.024" thick.

I'm not sure I would come up with the right equation.

Thanks

Last edited:
That is actually a very smart point. If they only took the weight from the .308, then the 7-08 would be more. If you wouldn't mind, could you show your calculation? I'd like to see what assumptions you've made for mass of steel, and the calculus you used to come up with the volume of a hollowed out cylinder that is 0.024" thick.

I'm not sure I would come up with the right equation.

Thanks

I suck at calculus, this is simple math and conversions... its nothing more than the difference in volume of a cylinder and the density of steel.

I took the volume of a .308 cylinder and subtracted the volume of a .243 cylinder, to get the the volume of steel difference between the two bore sizes. then multiplied it by 0.275lbs/in3. then by 16 to get oz.

This assumes the barrel contour is the same on the outside.

Good thoughts.

So the volume of a cylinder is V=pi x r x r x h
first cylinder is 0.308". So radius (r) = 0.154"
h=17" therefore V=3.14 x 0.154 x 0.154 x 17= 1.266 cubic inches.

the next cylinder is 0.284" for the 7mm-08. Therefore the radius (r)= 0.142"
V=3.14 x 0.142 x 0.142 x 17= 1.076 cubic inches.

So the volume difference = 1.266 - 1.076 = 0.190 cubic inches.
Multiply that by the density of steel to get the weight difference in pounds = 0.190 x 0.275 lbs/in3 = 0.05225 pounds. This answer times 16 = ounces
0.05225 x 16 = 0.836 ounces.

So the difference in weight due to caliber is less than an ounce. 0.836 ounces to be exact.

The difference in weight that I'm seeing is 6 ounces. Clearly caliber differences do not account for all of it.

Good thoughts.

So the volume of a cylinder is V=pi x r x r x h
first cylinder is 0.308". So radius (r) = 0.154"
h=17" therefore V=3.14 x 0.154 x 0.154 x 17= 1.266 cubic inches.

the next cylinder is 0.284" for the 7mm-08. Therefore the radius (r)= 0.142"
V=3.14 x 0.142 x 0.142 x 17= 1.076 cubic inches.

So the volume difference = 1.266 - 1.076 = 0.190 cubic inches.
Multiply that by the density of steel to get the weight difference in pounds = 0.190 x 0.275 lbs/in3 = 0.05225 pounds. This answer times 16 = ounces
0.05225 x 16 = 0.836 ounces.

So the difference in weight due to caliber is less than an ounce. 0.836 ounces to be exact.

The difference in weight that I'm seeing is 6 ounces. Clearly caliber differences do not account for all of it.

before I bought my Howa Alpine Mt Rifle I picked up one in 6.5 creedmoor and it felt heavy so I asked the dealer to weight it. it was also roughly 6 oz more than the advertised weight. that discouraged me so I contacted Howa and they informed me it was because the 6.5 only comes in the hinged floor plate model. not sure why and maybe they do offer the drop box magazine version now. so I went ahead and ordered a new in box Howa Alpine in .308. which comes with both the drop box and hinged floor plate. the reason your rifle weights more is because of the floor plate. I weighed mine with both the DBM and the floor plate and there is about a 6 oz difference between the two. not sure where you bought yours but it should have come from the factory with the magazine too. might want to ask them what the deal was.

I will tell you this. the lighter weight is nice and I love the rifle. but the drop box magazine is not designed very well. it will literally fall out of the rifle with the very smallest bump of the magazine release lever. I tell you this because I would not purchase the ammo boost magazine separate to save 6oz. stick with the nice cerakoted floor plate until Howa revamps that magazine which I hope they do in the future.

Good thoughts.

So the volume of a cylinder is V=pi x r x r x h...

Good catch, I was using "d" instead of the "r". Should have thought about it a bit more. ;)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back