PEAX Equipment

Light weight rifle options

I had a sheep hunt booked for 2020 and set up a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 WM with a VX5 3-15 for that hunt and as a general purpose rifle and have so far been super impressed by it. It's around 8 pounds, so with my sheep hunt pushed back to 2022, decided to see if I could go even lighter.

Ended up grabbing a Kimber Montana in 6.5CM, and with a Swarovski Z3 3.5-10 BRH and Talley rings, I'm right at 6 pounds flat unloaded. Took to the range last weekend to zero with some cheap Freedom Munitions 140 grain BTHP's and shot consistent 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yards with no effort and no brake installed. Really like the 3 position safety, the trigger is great and I could probably adjust it down further. The only thing I dislike is the blind magazine, but for a gun that's mostly going to live strapped to a backpack or carried in the deer woods, I can get over it. This is the gun I'll be taking to the NWT next year and I'd imagine I'll be hunting with it a lot for whitetails too.

I had a sheep hunt booked for 2020 and set up a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 WM with a VX5 3-15 for that hunt and as a general purpose rifle and have so far been super impressed by it. It's around 8 pounds, so with my sheep hunt pushed back to 2022, decided to see if I could go even lighter.

Ended up grabbing a Kimber Montana in 6.5CM, and with a Swarovski Z3 3.5-10 BRH and Talley rings, I'm right at 6 pounds flat unloaded. Took to the range last weekend to zero with some cheap Freedom Munitions 140 grain BTHP's and shot consistent 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yards with no effort and no brake installed. Really like the 3 position safety, the trigger is great and I could probably adjust it down further. The only thing I dislike is the blind magazine, but for a gun that's mostly going to live strapped to a backpack or carried in the deer woods, I can get over it. This is the gun I'll be taking to the NWT next year and I'd imagine I'll be hunting with it a lot for whitetails too.
I need to throw my Kimber Montana on a scale. I love mine, shot a .5" and .75" group this past weekend with Nosler 140 Ballistics, stacked 2 Nosler 140 AccuBonds at 200. I'm shooting a 280AI though. But it is awesome - I had some custom work done to mine - bedded the barrel - cut down to 22" - got it threaded and a break. I'm super impressed. North West Territory! That's going to be awesome.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back