Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lefty's shooting Right hand rifles

Rooster52

I have a few left hand rifles but this yearI will be heading west with my right hand Browning stalker 300WSM . Great shooting gun.

I've got a buddy that's a lefty and can't get used to shooting left handed guns after years of shooting right handed guns.

Being left eye dominant and right handed, for years I shot right handed scoped rifles lefty. Fortunately didn't have to crank the bolt often. Finally retrained to shoot right....much better muscle memory for trigger control IMO.

Lefty - right eye dominant. All shooting is right handed. Basically writing is my main left hand use now-a-days. I can feel a Cushman-ism rising from that statement. haha! :p

being a lefty myself, I could never get used to shooting left handed guns either. When looking for a semi auto shotgun, it took a couple of tries before I found one where I could shoot trap loads without getting plastic in the face.

'Nother lefty who shoots w/ a right handed bolt gun. Never had a problem chambering a round when needed, just takes practice.

That being said, I'd never turn down a left handed bolt, especially in calibers that start at .375 and above.

The other option is to go with single shot rifles. Plan on hunting a Ruger #1 a lot this fall.

I have always shot left handed though RH guns work fine. But when I need to shoot fast, or with Brown Bears I was always concerned I would screw it up if I switched. Most lever guns work fine for me but the safety is odd unless it's a tang safety (on bolt guns). I have 45-70 guide gun which has a snap ring on the button safety so it can't be used and that has worked well. I watched Boddington, who is a leftie carry a RH rifle on a Grizzly hunt, but I am no Craig Boddington, so I'll stick to left handed guns.

As a lefty as well, I learned to shoot right handed bolts. I could never master the reach over to work the bolt and always brought the gun to me knee to eject the shell. I only hunted that way for 3 seasons before getting me current left hand 270. Its weird, I still bring the gun to my knee to eject the shell even with the bolt on the opposite side...

Guess what I learned when I was young I never bothered to try retraining myself. Make the first shot count is what I always tell myself.

Many a good reason stated in this thread why my left eye dominate, right handed son is shooting lefthanded and will only get lefthanded/ambi firearms from me.

Right handed but left eye dominate. I shoot guns and bows left handed. I bought a left handed rifle once but couldn't get used to it after years of shooting and a gun safe full of right handed guns.

The first shot is the most important,if done right no need for a fast second shot.

Greenhorn might call you all pillow biters.
Sorry Cushman didn't pipe in.

How about lever action rifles for you types?

Left handed and right eye dominant here. My bolt rifles are all left handed and works well for me, but when I am shooting my wife's right handed rifle I don't have a problem because most of my shooting is prone or off a bench and I can use my right hand to work the bolt. I have not had an issue with autos other than my 10/22 occasionally getting some particles in my face with cheaper ammo.

True lefty. Remington BDL 270 left handed. Shotguns are either Browning BPS or break action. Looking at CVA Single shot in 35 whelen right now.

What I would like to find is an AR in lefty version. Hot brass flying by your head is really distracting.

Our oldest son is a lefty shooter, so he's been using a 1970ish BLR 243 which ejects the brass out the top. Speaking from my experience during his first youth hunt, a guy doesn't want to be standing directly behind him when the brass starts flying...

Back