Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sell or Send back first?

Nope sadly not. With being a newly married man and a recent (Sept 23) home owner amongst other things I haven’t gotten around to either trying round two of trying to get that brake off, have a gunsmith do it or even chop and rethreaded, or sent back to Savage, or sold and use that money 💰 for a lefty in either something that starts with 7 or 30 (whether bought or built).
Oh I have sent you a couple texts this year to see how your hunting season and such went.
Congratulations and congratulations! Lol

Yeah, my old phone bit the dust.
Switched from Tracphone.
Their customer service is majorly lacking!
Tried to bring my old phone number over, but was easier to just say eff it!!

I'll text you my new #.

Some threadlockers only release by boiling in water, like Rocksett. You'd have to get it over 2k degrees to break the bond with a torch.
I know the red Loctite needs heat to release it.
Never did get the bolt out of the end of that crank shaft!!

I really can't see the factory using a thread locker on a muzzle brake.
Betting it's just carbon caked.
It's amazing how carbon penetrates in places!!

Or maybe soak it in Kroil, then tap it lightly with a brass hammer. Fill a jar with Kroil, and stand the rifle in a corner muzzle down with the device submerged in the Kroil.
We used Kroil but we didn’t try it in that manner. Might have to try that before the torch or I could sell it as is.

PB Blaster, Kroil, trans fluid mixed with paint thinner. Any of those three will do some surprising things.

Heat next.

Savage won’t replace the rifle, but they might replace the break for a low fee.

Sounds like you need a left handed rifle. Sell, and I buy something worth having.

PB Blaster, Kroil, trans fluid mixed with paint thinner. Any of those three will do some surprising things.

Heat next.

Savage won’t replace the rifle, but they might replace the break for a low fee.

Sounds like you need a left handed rifle. Sell, and I buy something worth having.
I believe that is what I am going to do. I will try Kroil again then controlled heat to hopefully fix it.
It’s a good shooting rifle with a variety of factory ammo (I haven’t reloaded much for it), but good luck finding 300 WSM on the shelf. Thankfully I can reload and have a decent amount of brass if I need to. Sadly powder is expensive and large magnum rifle primers are hard to find.

Since it’s hard to find a left handed 300 WSM that’s threaded outside of the Savage M110 Timberline and Ultralight which I could get for a replacement, but part of me wants to try a different brand since Savage is all I have ever known. I am thinking about building one myself piece by piece over a couple years or I could go with a lefty in either 7 PRC (I am waiting on the Bergara B14 Sierra Wilderness), a 300 Win Mag since there is plenty of ammo available and I already have 30 cal bullets for reloading, 7 mm REM Mag (no one in my immediate family has one, but two of them have 300 WM) or 280 AI (but that runs into the lack of ammo availability options like the 300 WSM.

I have options since I won’t need it this year since I have a 270 Win for WV and PA and my new home state of Ohio is straight wall. I don’t “need” it next fall, but I want to take my 270 Win for pronghorn and possibly that other rifle if I have it for mule deer 🦌 in Wyoming. Yes I know my 270 Win would work great on big mule deer 🦌 but if I have two rifles I wouldn’t mind taking one animal with each. But if I don’t have one by then I know that my old 270 will do the job l just might upgrade to a much lighter and durable stock to replace the wooden one. Something from Stocky’s perhaps.

Thanks for your input as well

I believe that is what I am going to do. I will try Kroil again then controlled heat to hopefully fix it.
It’s a good shooting rifle with a variety of factory ammo (I haven’t reloaded much for it), but good luck finding 300 WSM on the shelf. Thankfully I can reload and have a decent amount of brass if I need to. Sadly powder is expensive and large magnum rifle primers are hard to find.

Since it’s hard to find a left handed 300 WSM that’s threaded outside of the Savage M110 Timberline and Ultralight which I could get for a replacement, but part of me wants to try a different brand since Savage is all I have ever known. I am thinking about building one myself piece by piece over a couple years or I could go with a lefty in either 7 PRC (I am waiting on the Bergara B14 Sierra Wilderness), a 300 Win Mag since there is plenty of ammo available and I already have 30 cal bullets for reloading, 7 mm REM Mag (no one in my immediate family has one, but two of them have 300 WM) or 280 AI (but that runs into the lack of ammo availability options like the 300 WSM.

I have options since I won’t need it this year since I have a 270 Win for WV and PA and my new home state of Ohio is straight wall. I don’t “need” it next fall, but I want to take my 270 Win for pronghorn and possibly that other rifle if I have it for mule deer 🦌 in Wyoming. Yes I know my 270 Win would work great on big mule deer 🦌 but if I have two rifles I wouldn’t mind taking one animal with each. But if I don’t have one by then I know that my old 270 will do the job l just might upgrade to a much lighter and durable stock to replace the wooden one. Something from Stocky’s perhaps.

Thanks for your input as well
I’m a big fan of Remington 700’s, but would lean hard toward 700 footprint based “clone” or not quite clone over a 700 these days as the price and availability has changed. Tikka and Howa are great options that might actually be better if you don’t plan to do any future work on the rifle.

280AI is a fantastic cartridge, but so are the 30-06, 300 SAUM, 300WSM, and 300 WM. I have 30-06AI, which is the painful way to equal a 300SAUM, and I flat out love it. If you want to dedicate yourself to reloading, I would strongly consider the 280AI, or 300SAUM/300WSM. If you want factory ammo availability, I would suggest 300WM unless some folks suggest that it’s not as available as I imagine. Tikka’s are great for long cartridges, and frankly they’re about as accurate a custom rifle. If you told me you would give me a factory rifle, but I could never modify it, I would have a hard time choosing between a Tikka and Howa. I might pick a CZ, but I’m an odd nut. I don’t know what exists for lefties.

I’m a big fan of Remington 700’s, but would lean hard toward 700 footprint based “clone” or not quite clone over a 700 these days as the price and availability has changed. Tikka and Howa are great options that might actually be better if you don’t plan to do any future work on the rifle.

280AI is a fantastic cartridge, but so are the 30-06, 300 SAUM, 300WSM, and 300 WM. I have 30-06AI, which is the painful way to equal a 300SAUM, and I flat out love it. If you want to dedicate yourself to reloading, I would strongly consider the 280AI, or 300SAUM/300WSM. If you want factory ammo availability, I would suggest 300WM unless some folks suggest that it’s not as available as I imagine. Tikka’s are great for long cartridges, and frankly they’re about as accurate a custom rifle. If you told me you would give me a factory rifle, but I could never modify it, I would have a hard time choosing between a Tikka and Howa. I might pick a CZ, but I’m an odd nut. I don’t know what exists for lefties.
I have wanted a Tikka for a very long time, I was going to go with one in left hand 300 WSM (the T3X Lite Stainless actually) but got a good deal on the RH Savage M110 Long Range Hunter.
Sadly they don’t make a left handed 300 WSM with a threaded barrel nor have they adopted 7 PRC yet even though they have 6.5 PRC. I have been on JA Outdoors looking at the left hand complete actions there even though they are $875 with no barrel.

Howa/Vanguard only come in right hand and one would have to pay $2000 for a lefty Weatherby but most of their barrels are 26 in long, which is not good for using a suppressor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back