PEAX Equipment

Is the price of gas hindering your out-of-state or in-state hunt plans?

Are high gas prices forcing you to eliminate your hunting plans>

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Diesel went up 15cents here this morning. Won't affect my elk hunting but already hurting my local fly fishing trips and making me plan a little more for running back to the farm to prep for whitetails.

The price has made me reconsider cellular game cameras. The cost for me to run back and forth to the farm will definitely offset the cost of the cam and plan.
I got one this past winter and wish I had second for my other bait. Even the one helped save me some trips to run bear baits

I spent a night in Missoula at a Comfort Inn in May. It was $270 and some change. 2 Nights at the Yogo in Lewistown was the same.

I'm looking at a shotgun that's $2K out the door, and will need another $1K in stockwork.

There's a Benelli SBEIII with my name on it somewhere as well.

Then there's shell procurement & dog stuff.

Gas is important, but it's not the death knell to my enjoyment. That SBEIII may have to wait until next year. If you're only hunting for recreation, then multiple tags across multiple states was an expensive choice you made in order to have fun. Cost of fun always goes up. Cost of the suck never seems too.
You can’t hide money.

I keep thinking I may end up canceling my hunt if prices get too crazy. I’m already spending a bunch with a near 80 mile round trip and toll fees. I’ll also be pushing 200k miles on the odometer come October which has me worried even though I maintain my truck fairly well.

I can’t help but think that there will be a lot less people in the mountains though due to the same issue thus making the trip more enjoyable.

Edit: I have a 80 mile round trip to work 3-4 days a week, not to my western hunt. My western hunt is around 700 miles each way.

Last edited:
Going to go on 1 deer hunt only in CO, no elk. Leaving the Dodge Diesel parked, and taking the Subaru Forester. The fuel is just too much, so I'm going to have to be a little creative. Just not so creative to figure out putting elk quarters in a Subaru. A preference point for UT elk works fine for me this year.

No disrespect meant to my fellow Hunttalkers, but I'm surprised to see how many argue that all of these changes won't affect their hunting.

For me personally, I might still be able to do all the things I want to do, but it definitely won't be as easy to pull off if things don't improve. Even now, I'd love to be scouting this whitetail property that I hope to hunt this fall, but gas is so expensive I hate the thought of driving an hour to get there and scout.

Honestly, it won't change my hunting plans at all. It might change how much scouting I do though. Maybe it's time to donate plasma for extra gas money. #adaptimproviseovercome

Stay out of bars. Don’t gamble. Don’t buy shit you don’t need . Amazing how quick a person can come up with hunting cash if they prioritize a little . Fuel prices won’t affect my hunting or fishing plans 1 bit
My 82 year old dad hunts 70 + days a year and hasn't bought a piece of hunting gear in 10 years and his freezers are always full.

its not gonna change my nevada elk trip no matter what price,,767 miles each way will happen this november no matter what it takes,,still hoping on wyoming antelope and deer too add to my wyoming cow tag//ill be busy enough //kinda glad i didnt draw anything in new mexico this year with fuel the way it is.$6 dollar diesel or even more here on the west coast is a very real posibility very soon,,only .11 cents away now on diesel.

Stay out of bars. Don’t gamble. Don’t buy shit you don’t need . Amazing how quick a person can come up with hunting cash if they prioritize a little . Fuel prices won’t affect my hunting or fishing plans 1 bit
Exactly, I actually pretty much quit drinking along with my wife! Saves me about $60 a week… that’s some nice spending cash for gas!
Matt

Its not going to change my plans as far as Ill be in Co September chasing bugles but I am thinking about my usual game plan most hunts home or out west im happy to let smaller animals walk by and eat tag soup it always more about the adventure than just filling my tag
but the practical side has me thinking after taking time from work driving 2600 miles and the cost of food these days I may be more of a meat hunter this year even at home I like having a freezer full esp with cost going crazy at grocery stores

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back