Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Is the price of gas hindering your out-of-state or in-state hunt plans?

Are high gas prices forcing you to eliminate your hunting plans>

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Between the rising costs of everything and the plethora of points required to draw sexy tags I’m definitely going to change where, and what I hunt for. I turkey hunted for the first time this spring and had a blast. This fall I’m going to start duck hunting. I’m already daydreaming about ducks coming into my decoys with my retriever at my side. I’ve always enjoyed the challenge of hunting whitetail bucks and will continue to do that.

It will not stop my trip to MT this year. Family member and I will be splitting fuel costs this year. I have always drove myself, so it will be nice to split the 28hr drive with someone else and have someone to talk to besides myself.
i did not go in 2021 so for sure going in 2022.

I'm hunting in-state this year, and only a couple hours from home so I'm not thinking too much on it. I'd like to be scouting roads and stuff right now, but NM forests are locked down so I guess I'm saving money.

This is a great thread.

I work full time. I will sacrifice all year to hunt. I do feel sorry for the fixed income hunters. i will make ends meet. I’m looking forward to my 40hr round trip 2600 mile road trip to Kentucky to hunt elk that are 2 miles from my house in Colorado. Might cost me 1k in gas round trip. Damn! That’s nuts. Oh well. beats not going. I just have to hunt!

I'm broke and hunt/drive solo so yes. I was actually relieved I struck out on my NM deer draw. I live in Reno and have buck tags in Rubies and central Idaho (definitely won't be a scout trip). Didn't put in for WY cuz it's too far. The controlled ID hunts I put in for I chose the best and closest units to home. Gas is nuts. It's like a nice pair of boots or a bino's just to get to your unit!

I average over 4,000 miles during my week to 10 day trips. Solo driving most often which is bad enough. Now gas has doubled, It'll be about $1250 or more. I’m rather dreading the whole ordeal…. except for any hunting part of course. Now….to draw a tag… c’mon Colorado!!!!

I normally drive way too much during hunting season. Maybe the gas prices will force me to stay in one spot longer, which I keep saying I need to do anyway.

A friend is driving from Boston to SW Montana to hunt. He's pulling a large 5th wheel with him. I asked if he was still going to do that, and he is. He will stay for 6 weeks though, but still that's a lot of expense.

i think that for the first time ever i will be returning a colorado deer tag i drew,,just too expensive to go on a single animal trip from oregon to colorado and back without being able to combine into a multi-animal trip,,just not gonna be worth $1200 in diesel besides the tag cost

My son and I are headed to Wyoming in October for general elk and my brother in law drew a cow/calf tag for the same area. Fuel is going to hurt so that’s why I don’t say no to the OT very often. You only live once and I am not getting any younger.

0cd1da2388c4f7e426d2aff7334a8515--cargo-the-road.jpg
Been testing out this bad boy for possumHunt. She gets bout 50mpg with a Jersey cow strapped to her. Top speed of 45mph and she handles like a dream. Crazy Dan's Auto Emporium in Hooterville had several in stock and will do an even swap for any late model full size truck..but hurry in cause they won't last long!
Also if you subscribe to possumHunt you'll get yourself entered to win one of these bad boys which includes the tire chains (a 23.99 accessory) a genuine Crazy Cooters Towing beer coozie ( a 4.75 beer saver) and 2 free breakfast buffet dinners at the Mud Flap Sausage Shack! (a 15.99 of mouth watering artery cloggen goodness *tip not included *) So get on the web and sign up for possumHunt for 9.99 and be sure to use code BR549 an save 20%!

It hasn’t effected my hunting plans, but I’m 100% cutting back on rec trips this summer in order to save money to hunt this fall.
This. Wife and I are canceling our vacation trip for July. I’m still heading to Wyoming this fall, but splitting fuel cost with 2 friends.

I'm debating wether to put up a second poll: if gas is $7 a gallon, will that put a dent on your hunting plans? Same set of questions. I personally think that we haven't seen the worst on gas. I believe that when China goes back to work, oil may head toward $200 a barrel. That's my bet, and probably nothing anybody wants to hear. However, that may be reality. I suppose gas would be at $7 when oil is at $150. All depends on the crack spread, etc.

What say you?

Will be doing alot more camping instead of coming home every night. We drive anywhere from 50-100 miles per day round trip to hunt mule deer and antelope. If we get drawn in our desired unit this year it will be about 75 miles each way. So I will be setting up camp for 2 week intervals as I am retired. My buddies can drive up on their days off work.
Wll do less scouting and fly fishing this summer, no doubt.
Communism sucks!

I live in California Diesel almost $7 now. Last year I made 3 out of state trips ( Arizona, Nevada and Colorado) this year I’ll try to keep it at 2.

I'm debating wether to put up a second poll: if gas is $7 a gallon, will that put a dent on your hunting plans? Same set of questions. I personally think that we haven't seen the worst on gas. I believe that when China goes back to work, oil may head toward $200 a barrel. That's my bet, and probably nothing anybody wants to hear. However, that may be reality. I suppose gas would be at $7 when oil is at $150. All depends on the crack spread, etc.

What say you?
Personally, I am just going to go hunting regardless. I am not going to change my application strategy or any of my hunting plans due to gas prices, inflation, tag prices, etc.

With that said I may have to buy less new gear or spend more nights camping than in a hotel just because of cost/benefit analysis.

I spent most of my life sacrificing in order to be in a position now where I can actually do some of the things I wish I could have done sooner. Time to make it happen while I still have the physical capacity to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back