Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is the price of gas hindering your out-of-state or in-state hunt plans?

Are high gas prices forcing you to eliminate your hunting plans>

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess if there is a bright side of not drawing tags I have applied for it would be not worrying about the fuel cost of getting there. 🤷

I had the points to do a archery hunt in CO and was also going to try a late season otc deer in AZ. With the price of gas driving from Ontario, i'd have to take out a second mortgage on the house lol.

gas price's limit my trips to the grocery store! 32 miles to the nearest one! Seldom use my diesel truck anymore, fuel just cost to much. Had to get my riding mower fixed about a week ago and closest place was 70 mi one way. needed the diesel truck to haul it. Cost me just under $100 for diesel to do it! When I do go to town now I see a lot of RV's being pulled around. Guess the price just isn't high enough for some people!

70's deja vu all over again. Don't do it Joey! I can't drive 55!
Funny you mention that. I saw an economist on Bloomberg TV say that this is a repeat of the 60's and 70's. I find that very interesting. Basically the govt was spending money like a drunken sailer due to the Viet Nam war, and then the oil crisis hit. Slam Bang. I maintain that oil will be much higher once China goes back to work. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it hits $180-200 in the Fall. But who knows. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, right. But mine is a professional opinion.

Seems like these prices are not limiting travel, actually consumption is increasing.
STAY TUNED:
Won't be long, pumps will be running low.

Yeah the amount of rv’s being towed through Montana is impressive. Everyone must be spending their helicopter cash on fuel I guess. Impressive!

It will cost more than most people expect, I drove from Kalispell, MT to about 20 miles east of Broadus and back for work. I camped each way at a FAS along the Yellowstone and I bet I was over $700.00 in fuel/food. I bought a pizza and one tall boy, no eating out or other items. I couldn’t imagine driving from out east or the west coast to hunt and have a 10-20% chance of bringing back game. Gas prices were between 4.99 to 5.19.

I also couldn’t buy any gas gas between Lame Deer to Hardin due to a major windstorm that knocked out power for 4 hours. I spent over 3 hours at the gas station in Crow Agency waiting for the pumps to turn on. There were a lot of travelers waiting for fuel, kind of like the 1970s….

Not a chance I drew my first bull elk permit and I’m gonna go every chance I get

I really not that upset regarding not drawing a Kansas tag this year. 3000 mile round trip filling the diesel tank would hurt.

I’m planning to drive 1000+ miles on my MT trip this year and prices won’t impact my plans. The gas price will be less than I’m use to in New Zealand.

Gas prices are not helping, but the 3 separate trips to the hospital in the last 8 months and the bills and extended time off of work are what is effecting my plans. The final nail in the coffin was the 8200$ i spent this spring to replace the motor in my BIL's side by side, that i blew up. That pretty much wiped out my account that i had for my hunting and other extra curricular activities.

I bet with the price of travel/lodging cost more people will shorten or completely cancel trips and do more things local. I checked on a motel in western KS about two months ago and it was over $200.00 for a comfort inn. Motel/hotel prices have almost doubled, unless you are staying in Sidney or some other remote location. Secondly, a majority of spouses aren’t okay with their husband spending $2500 on a trip with a 10-20% chance of bringing back 50-200 lbs of meat. Two years ago people could take a scouting trip in the summer and several weeks hunting for more like $1000. Thirdly, as peoples 401k/IRAs tank due to market correction will not help either.

Back