• Tags, gas, NR permits in/out state $500-$1500

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Tags, gas, flights, out of state hunts $1500-$3000

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • You waste your retirment money on hunting... $3000+

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters

Bambistew

So I'm pondering my hunts for this coming fall and have started to add up the real $ costs of my trips. Just wondering what you guys would be willing to spend on a hunt. At some point there has to be a tipping point that its just too expensive. If its a priority I would assume most would be willing to spend a fairly substancial portion of your income each year.

I'm affraid to know exactly what I spend a year on hunting, but its a lot...

My Budget is more centered on what the Group can afford to spend. We all have one or two real good buddies that can't always get the money together. John

Ya. It does add up quickly, but I don't really have any other hobbies or vices. Hell, I could be dead before next season! Really the only thing holding me back from doing more is time off from work! I need a job like Big Fin, or at least like Buzz.

So far just in state hunting has been relatively cheap, but Im thinkin 2012 could start getting quite a bit more expensive for me tho. I would say that even only in state hunting I probably still spend atleast $1000 a year.

I did all my hunting in state and still spent a ton on gas. I really did not go back and add it all up because I don't want to actually know :)

Just paid for a trip to Kodiak to hunt Blackail's that sent me into the higher bracket! Worth every penny I hope.

In 2008 we did a 3 man hunt in Nevada, split groceries, fuel, and horseshoeing. Not including tags we were in the range of $300 each for a weeklong hunt, and we ate good. At today's fuel prices that could be much more.

Later that summer I took my family on a Colorado Antelope hunt. Traveling with the wife and 3 kids meant hotels going to and from so that played heck with the cost. I think we had 2 hotels going, For $250 and one hotel stay coming back for $75. The biggest expense was the Alaknak tent we bought at the Reno Cabelas on our way out. (Well worth it by the way). I forget what we spent on fuel, and groceries was in line with our normal expeditures. Restaurants for dinner, but Lunch was on the road, picnic style.

Then that November I spent 7 days chasing late season Blacktails 5 hours from home until a snowstorm pushed me out of the hills. Again the fuel to get there was the only additional cost.

What you will notice is that with all that , the only expense I didn't have was meat processing. That was because I didn't kill a damn thing that season, except time.

TANGENT TIME - Meat processor costs.

If you are looking for a budget figure for meat processing, $.85 per pound checked in is pretty standard. Most of my Quartered bull elk weighed 350-400 pounds, while gutless quartered (bone-in) were 280-320
Sausage is extra. usually ~$2.35 per pound of Sausage, and $2.39/pound for pork with a 30# minimum. It ends up costing around $4.00 per pound of sausage and uses 15# of game meat.
The budget blower it seems is gear. It is tough to drop a bundle on "hunting gear" so you can have a comfortable camp. I think the solution for the BIG tent dilemma is to do a Family trip and purchase the tent for that trip so you can practice setting it up in the daylight, during good weather.
While on that Family trip you mention to the wife, that some accessory would sure be good for Hunting season. And if the mornings are frosty, mention the wood stove to wifey...Works every time...

But the key is to get the family out in that tent at least 1x each summer...you will find your camp gear tends to improve the more time the wife and kids spend in it.

Shoot. I'll probably be over that $500 for in-state hunts by April--as soon as AZ G&F cashes my elk check and sends me an archery tag. ;)

I'm already in $60 on tags and $100 on gas. Haven't seen 1 stinking javelina and only a handful of deer so far.

My oldest has a javelina hunt 2 hours away starting next week. Then we both have spring turkey, fall deer, (hopefully) fall elk, my youngest may have fall javelina, etc. If I add in a CO OTC elk hunt and maybe mule deer, I'll be pushing $2k-$3k.

I need a raise to support my hunting habit. If I wasn't self-employed I'd call my boss some rotten names :eek:

I have a feeling that my relocation will have me wanting to be in the highest bracket to get the hunts in in a given year that I want to go on. Part of the price of not living very close to where you want to hunt.

However, being responsible and probably too accomodating to the wife, I'll probably be in a lower one, not get to hunte what/where I would like, and have to try hard not to develop a drinking habit...

Don't even keep track anymore. If the wifey says go for it, it's a done deal. Thank god she realizes we're only here for a short time.

"Back in the day".... I'd be around the 6k-8k mark. it would change depending if it was Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, Canada, or just local states. Last year it was under $500. And I spent most of that on my boy for his tags and hunting trips. It's a tough question because MONEY and AGE is relative. What's A LOT of money or what is OLD ? $10 for a tag is a lot to some and 10k is a drop in the bucket.

Like it was said earlier, Equipment is another factor. If you buy a 3k spotting scope or a new gun or STIKA Gear because we all know you have to have that to shoot anything ;) But I'm assuming the pole is leaving out the equipment cost ?

If you go out of state the $1,500-$3000 would be about right. Thats what I'm planning this year... Unless my wife reads this then it's $150-$300, Understand ? ;)

Depends on what the draws bring....if I draw it, I'll put maximum resources to it.

If the out of state draws poop out, then in state will offer plenty at a very affordable price tag.

This year will be a pricy one for myself and my wife of 40 years. I will hunt aoudad in Texas end of Feb. then on to South Africa in May. My wife will accompany me to RSA for a one week photo safari then on to hunt for another week. I will put in for tags in MT for bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose, antelope, limited draw elk zones, etc. MTG

I was actually interested how much this year cost me. So I kept track of my gas purchases that were for the sole use of hunting. All in state hunting in MT added up to around $900 for gas alone (included hunting every weekend in the season for deer, elk, antelope, upland, waterfowl) Not to mention all of the other costs. I should probably enter the season with a budget, but lately I have just putting most of my money towards fueling my addiction.

Really the only thing holding me back from doing more is time off from work!

+1...a little more money wouldn't hurt.

My rule of thumb is half of my vacation goes to spending it with my family and the other half goes to my hunting trips.

In 2010 I guesstimate I spent $1,000 all on in-state hunting. Gas would have to cover the bulk of that cost.

In 2009 I went to Wyoming, NM and my home state. I would guess I spent $3k easy.

Depends, Washington & Mt or just Washington. I now have an 11 year old to take and gear up also. I dont want to know the actual cost, I just know it's really the one thing I love to do. I work hard when not hunting so I figure I'm doing it, pretty much whatever it costs it costs. No guided hunts here. Just gas, food, gear....holy crap that's still alot of money. My hunting partner pays cash for everything so there is no paper trail.

If you work on the spousal matching fund accrual basis it can get expensive.:p

Ya Fin talked my wife into doing that kind of deal. Nothing like a $2000 antelope:rolleyes: That chopper hunt last year cost me a trip to Hawaii for 7 days. Oh well they're isn't any arguments anymore

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back