Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My General Tag

Congratulations and awesome write up. My wife and I have 2 kids, 19 months apart. It goes fast and I got to watch my son drop a spike elk last year on a NR general tag, he will be 21 in a couple months.

I totally missed this thread back in September. Glad I found it! Great write up, as always @TOGIE. You have a great way of expressing the mental struggles many of us face, while also painting a clear picture of the hunt. Congrats on the elk!

@TOGIE - there are many on here who are more experienced at raising kids than I am, but in my opinion, you are your wife are headed in the right direction with keeping children close in age. My wife and I were blessed with three from 2013 - 2018, it's been so much fun enjoying life with them in tow.

Leaving them at home never gets easier and I've pretty much gotten completely away from it. Planning hunts becomes quite a fun family adventure. Luckily, my wife is supportive of my out-of-state hunts and we'll usually take the whole crew. Staying at hotels with a waterpark is much better than sleeping in a tent on the hard ground - even if it adds a couple extra hours of drive time each way to hunt. Speaking from experience, the best is yet to come!

i look forward so much to bringing the whole family along on hunts. my wife and i were both contemplating many ways we wanted to try and make it work for this hunt. she really would've enjoyed it too and wanted to come stay somewhere as a little family. we were also trying to look for ways to bring some grandparents along so she could join me here and there.

it just became too logistically difficult right now. and i know you're right, the best is yet to come, and I can't freakin wait.

The evening would bring a new spot. Further, it would bring a brand new spot. I got sidetracked on my plan to hike in about 2 miles in a completely different location to some meadows to try some sitting and calling by finding a wallow. For some reason, my gut just said, set up here and do some cow calling and see what happens.

View attachment 293910

Nothing happened. But as I joked to my wife, at least something is coming to my elk calls.

I've never been more ready to high tail it out of there like a coward if this cute little sniffin' about critter showed any indication of coming towards me.

View attachment 293911
Natural scent cover

calling @Nameless Range! this is an emergency! ^some yahoo from CO thinks this makes an acceptable post-hunt "burger". We need assistance, real food photos!

i ate two mighty fine local burgers from a joint known for such before taking my leave, washed down with a top notch old fashioned made behind the counter of a bar with a whisk(e)y selection that would blow your mind 👌

i take a more anthony bourdain approach to food. i don't consider myself above anything, the man was a connoisseur of popeyes for some of his favorite fried chicken. so, if it's good it's good and therefore, enjoy it.

Anyone else left handed but right eye dominant?
How about us right handed folks that are left eye dominant?

Based on my experiences, left handed shooters are better shots. I know a few right handed shooters who couldn't hit sand if they were shooting in a desert...

calling @Nameless Range! this is an emergency! ^some yahoo from CO thinks this makes an acceptable post-hunt "burger". We need assistance, real food photos!

right in line with mcdonalds timeless and ingenius marketing over the many decades, there is more to why I have to get mcdonalds on every trip to wyoming.

on some levels, i'm a sap, i got it from my mother and i'm obsessed with keeping alive small traditions from my childhood that give me warm fuzzies.

as has been touched on, we drove up to this area a lot throughout my childhood to visit my grandmother and on many other occasions to laramie for thanksgiving with my great aunt and uncle. as was tradition, my mom and dad always stopped at the mcdonalds in cheyenne or laramie to let the dog out to pee and so that my brother and I could get that rare treat that we always got en route to wyoming.

i'm a sap, it's my rule to stop at either of those mcdonalds either on my way up or on my way out, every trip, no matter the purpose.

Yes, next weekend based on the weather report should be typical hot Halloween hunting in WI! So many bucks seem to get killed on Halloween eve or Halloween for some reason around here.
Similar in MN. That has to be the best time to be in the woods! I always try to spend extra time in the woods the last week of October.

@TOGIE - Great write up and fun hunt to follow along with! Good luck in WI!

i'm a sap, it's my rule to stop at either of those mcdonalds either on my way up or on my way out, every trip, no matter the purpose.
Never spit in the face of tradition!

I'm a big fan of your story. Some parts resonate strongly with me, other aspects not so much, but I admire your ability to self inspect and reason with your psyche. We are all fearfully and wonderfully made, each with our own "special" thoughts.

Salute!

You can always "refine" traditions... to be better.

I just like pitchin' you grief.

This theory supposes that McDonald’s is not good when it is in fact great.

People only dislike McDonald’s because they wanna be “cool.”

I am my own person neff 😎

How about us right handed folks that are left eye dominant?

Based on my experiences, left handed shooters are better shots. I know a few right handed shooters who couldn't hit sand if they were shooting in a desert...
Dad is left eye dominant and right handed. As far as shooting I’d take a guy who kills animals over dots there is a difference

You keep doing you...
View attachment 297995
and I'll keep enjoying quality burgers with a beer after my hunts. LOL
View attachment 297996

ugh. IPAs?

i'd rather drink unfiltered water from a wallow. IPAs are the epitome of a culture centered around only doing something to be cool.

only the finest domestic lights or mexican imports for me and that's only if there's no whiskey available. otherwise i'll forgo the alcohol options entirely - beer in general is the bottom of the barrel option.

you forget that I enjoy a 20 dollar burger as much as the next guy, but my ego ain't so fragile to admit that gawddamn i love me a tray of mcdonalds ;)

Dad is left eye dominant and right handed. As far as shooting I’d take a guy who kills animals over dots there is a difference
Most people in my immediate family shoot left handed (all right handed, but left eye dominant)! Good shots from everything I've seen. My cousin and uncle are right handed and both have serious accuracy problems. Both at targets, and at animals...

I like to give right handed shooters shit since us lefties get harassed too!

Real talk though... Nothing makes a bolt action rifle sexier than having the bolt on the left side of the gun! Take @nhenry gun for example. Beautiful gun. Even more beautiful being a lefty!

ugh. IPAs?

i'd rather drink unfiltered water from a wallow. IPAs are the epitome of a culture centered around only doing something to be cool.

only the finest domestic lights or mexican imports for me and that's only if there's no whiskey available. otherwise i'll forgo the alcohol options entirely - beer in general is the bottom of the barrel option.

you forget that I enjoy a 20 dollar burger as much as the next guy, but my ego ain't so fragile to admit that gawddamn i love me a tray of mcdonalds ;)
I love everything about this thread.

I love everything about this thread.

i'm gonna start trying to plan a Dougie's Privileged Western Boys Hunt Jamboree for you me and a few others. we will get september bear tags, eat big macs, drink corona and coors light, smoke backwoods, and have rain dances while toasted on jack daniels around the bonfire at night.

you will learn the ways :D

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back