Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Morning or Evening?

Morning or Afternoon/Evening?

• Morning

Votes: 45 60.0%
  • Evening

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters
The thing I like about the morning is once the sun breaks I've got as long as I want to keep going. In the evening you've only got so much time before shooting light ends.
This plays a big part too!

I typically hunt more evenings than mornings. It depends on the time of year too for sure. Of the last 2 big bucks I've shot, one was in the morning with a rifle (peak rut mid November) and the other was in the evening with a bow (early October).

I can't pick one... I love them equally!

Depends what you’re hunting. WT in November all day. WT in October evenings cause easier to sneak in. Elk I have always had best luck in the morning. I have never shot any in the afternoon. Same with moose. Moose especially I don’t usually hunt afternoons. Shooting a moose just before legal then having to get out in the dark doesn’t sound fun and I have never had an empty enough freezer to have to try. Bears evenings cause I’m on bait

4 of my last 5 bucks have come within 15 minutes of the end of shooting light. Evenings for me.

edit: my last 2 elk have also been afternoon/evening.

-anything bear country morning
-rut whitetails mid-day
-reg season muley/whitetails sunset
-early season (late summer)muley morning
-cow elk whenever they get to the road
-pronghorn if you found good one night before is almost unfair to hunt morning...almost

Weather is a HUGE factor but It might surprise some how well I have done on many species during midday. Elk especially are VERY predictable at times if you know area.

Depends on the species for me. I'd usually go with morning though because I hate running out of light and the hunt being over

For a half day hunt I'll take a morning just about every time, other than spring bear. I have no interest in getting up at like 2:30am to go be somewhere interesting at daylight.

I’m from Texas…we drink beers in the morning and shoot deers under the feeder in the afternoon. Out the window. With a crossbow.

But, if I can’t do that then I much prefer the morning for all species. I’ve had about equal success morning and evening though.

Definitely situational for me. For deer hunting here at home, evenings all the way. I've killed almost every deer in the evening because of the way I hunt. I can slip in in the afternoon and find fresh sign to set up over without blowing deer out. In the mornings, without an established place to set up, I just end up either blowing the deer out or setting up in a cold area.

One of the things that I like about the evening compared to the morning is that the likelihood of seeing something increases with time. As dark approaches, that perfect light hits and you can feel the deer starting to move, and on a good hunt it just builds until you finally manifest that crunching in the leaves.

Hunting turkeys? Well there's nothing that compares to a beautiful spring sunrise getting rattled by a gobble ringing out. I love that moment so much, it's really the perfect time in the woods to me.

Out West, I really like the mornings and the chance to spot animals moving on a new landscape.

I prefer hunting the morning, mainly because I get up early anyway. I very much enjoy a cold clear morning glassing session with a hot cup of coffee. However, there's not a question that I have been more successful in the evening. So I voted evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back