Having a bad couple of days...

John - I wish you knew how much inspiration you provide to me, and others, when you tackle challenges the way you do. Life has a strange way of connecting people and I doubt I am alone when I say that your connection to me, via this forum, has been very beneficial to me and the way I see the world. By your example, you are providing a lot of value to many. Please keep at it. You are in my prayers.

John,
I just wanted you to know of my belief and confidence that you will see Izzy again. Ultimately all that happens to us is a result of our decisions and God's will. Think about how many soldiers had "close calls" or how many times you yourself somehow made it out alive without harm. These aren't coincidences they are times when God has stepped in because we either needed that experience to help us grow or it wasn't our time to leave this life. Unfortunately most people don't recognize these "coincidences" and simply say man I was lucky and never reflect on who,why or how they were preserved.
While death sucks and hurts this life really is a blip of something larger. Izzy is fine along with all the others who have gone before us. I'm as confident of this as I am of anything in this life. It's impossible for me to know how you truly feel but there is One who has suffered and felt all the pains we encounter in this world.
Hang in there my friend and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Bart

Cush:

Those who haven't been in the midst of it have no idea of the demons that follow. You're continuing to fight your way through. You've got a boatload of HTers who love you and are pulling for you! Know that you've been a source of encouragement for me in ways you don't know. Grace and peace to you, John ...

Thanks you everyone for your kind words and PMs and everything. I shouldn't have dumped my problems on all of you, so I'm sorry for that. I appreciate your kindness and thoughts and friendship and how you all accept me.

Thanks you everyone for your kind words and PMs and everything. I shouldn't have dumped my problems on all of you, so I'm sorry for that. I appreciate your kindness and thoughts and friendship and how you all accept me.

Stop apologizing or I'll drive to Colorado and kick you in the nuts.

Praying for you brother.

John,
While death sucks and hurts this life really is a blip of something larger. Izzy is fine along with all the others who have gone before us. I'm as confident of this as I am of anything in this life.

Bart

I don't know John's religious beliefs, if any, but wanted to add to this comment because it's a good one. If we look at death within our human context, we see it as the end point and there is nothing more. From a Christian viewpoint, death is simply the transition from one life to the next, and one that offers us freedom and beauty beyond what this world can ever offer.

From a worldly level, death is horrible. From a heavenly level, death is the start of something wonderful.

Make the most of every day, and never miss an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of those around you.

As a VietNam veteran who also lost those close and still wonders Why? and Why not me? , I can tell you that Izzy will always be with you, but as time heals the memories will become more dear than more dire. 'Best thing that happened to me was returning to Montana values and those who share similar attitudes. I encourage you to stay associated with veterans who can relate to your mindset ... for the sake of both of you. There are many opportunities to find that camaraderie. It is good to realize that HUNTTALK provides some of that also.
For me, flying and hunting and fishing with other VietNam veterans as fellow Montana Army Guard members was the best therapy I could have asked for. My wish and prayer for you is to find similar relationships and dynamics. Keep the faith and best to you.

Although we have never met John, I think about you more than you know. I cannot and will never begin understand what you have gone through because I myself was not in the military. The only possible ones are the people who have walked your walk. I have told you in the past you are an inspiration to myself and to many other people. That hold"s true today as you can read by all the posts and PM"s. . I myself believe deeply in my faith and know your friend is in a better place. We will all be together again, one day soon enough my friend so until then I'm not done trading jabs with you Yankee. My prayers and gratitude are with you always. If you need to talk, shoot me a PM anytime.......:cool:

It's pretty obvious what a caring crew there is here on HT! Many have mentioned that those who have not walked in your shoes don't know the pain, but please realize that doesn't discount the amount that those people care and that those people can still help you. Your wife is a prime example, she wasn't there, but from what you have said before she is a good woman and I'm sure you are blessed to have her in your life. We can go through a lot of things in life and even though someone else, a friend, relative, pastor, counselor, may not have been through it themselves they can still help us in some way. You have been in my thoughts and prayers all morning since I read your post before leaving for church. My mind drifted to you many times during the service. I bet I am not alone in this. Don't apologize for telling us, it takes a real man to admit his troubles and reach out. Continue to let others help you, I know they will !

Appreciate your service and sacrifice. Takes a strong man or woman to say they are not always strong. Thinking good thoughts for you and all those you helped along the way through your service.

I for one think this is truly what this forum is really for.

John, as a proud American, I deeply appreciate your service and sacrifice. You are a genuine man I am honored to call a HT friend. You are epic in your spirit! Greatly enjoyed our time around the campfire last year and a main value for our campfire and hopefully some good fishing coming soon. :)

Stay strong. Good times and bad times. We're going to make some good times here soon. Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work so I am looking forward to tapping beer bottles or cans over the water, firepit or at the micro breweries I plan to drag you to in Missoula! Besides, Erika is looking forward to serving some prime time elk "tacos" that I call burritos though try and tell her otherwise... not I - Happy wife, happy life! :)

See you soon!

Last edited:
John, if you didn't care so much, it wouldn't hurt so much that he didn't make it. Your kids, wife and step kids all need you to be there for them, and to be as healthy in your head as possible. You need to take care of yourself at least half as well as you do your dependents.
JOHN, I can not feel that pain but I can only say what has been stated above plus we do not know the hr which we are called home, each of us individually for what ever reason. You were there for him as much as you could be. Your in my prayers.

John,
As a Nam Vet, please ask yourself how Izzy would want you to handle your remaining time here on earth. I hope you are around a long, long time in service to others who may have gone through what you did.
God bless

John,

Just don't ever forget that you are not alone, if nothing else you have my cell number. If you have any obligation to Izzy, it is to live your life to the fullest. War is a heavy cross to bear, and you got big shoulders brother.

Talk to you soon.

Ross

There's not a man on this forum or in the service anywhere who wouldn't feel honored to shake your hand and thank you for what you did accomplish.
God never intended for you to carry this on your own strength. Let Him take care of the past and what you couldn't do. Living a life that Izzy would be proud of will never bring him back, but it will honor his memory and will provide security and example for the ones you love. Hang in there buddy! It will be great to sit around the fire and swap stories with you in a few weeks.

John,
While death sucks and hurts this life really is a blip of something larger. Izzy is fine along with all the others who have gone before us. I'm as confident of this as I am of anything in this life. It's impossible for me to know how you truly feel but there is One who has suffered and felt all the pains we encounter in this world.
Hang in there my friend and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Bart

If we look at death within our human context, we see it as the end point and there is nothing more. From a Christian viewpoint, death is simply the transition from one life to the next, and one that offers us freedom and beauty beyond what this world can ever offer.

From a worldly level, death is horrible. From a heavenly level, death is the start of something wonderful.

Make the most of every day, and never miss an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of those around you.

Yep...Yep...and Yep. FWIW John, there are a lot of guys here would never hesitate to take a late night phone call or drop what they were doing to offer whatever support you needed. I've yet to share a campfire with you, but I am honored to know you and your story.

Hang in there Cushman, i don't think the alternative is a better place to be bloke.

We probably all have decisions in our lives that we wish could have had a better outcome, but its the journey we take and we must just keep on keeping on. I always try to look ahead to the future and think how lucky i am to have two arms and two legs some days...if you can keep working on your life being that little bit better every day then hopefully you will be in a good place carrying a positive attitude to all the hurdles you will face.

Nobody truly has it easy, life wasn't meant to be glamorous, i just believe we all have to make the most of each and every day we have knowing we have given it our all.

Stay strong and keep busy.

I'm sure you did your best, and that is all anyone can do. Your cheerful and gracious presence here on HuntTalk is one we all can admire and emulate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back