Handy Skills You Do and Don't Possess

This morning, I shower and get dressed, then walk into the kitchen for morning coffee. My husband instincts instantly pick up on the fact that Mrs. Fin is doing that "whistle while she waits" routine. Uh oh, something's up. I've been married to this woman for 26+ years and I know when the "fertilizer is about to hit the ventilator."

I look at her laptop and she is logged in to Hunt Talk, with this thread opened. :eek:

I say nothing. I tell her it was all an attempt to find humor in my self-deprecating admission of my "handy man" short comings. Not sure if she bought it, or not. The next hour is a critical time for me to dismiss any thoughts she has to the contrary. Time to put on a good display if my ineptitude.

As if right on cue, she unknowingly serves me up a home run pitch. She instructs me that it is May 1st and the old plates on the SUV are expired; that they must be changed for the new charity plates she bought, before we run into town. The kitchen and utility room are now partially disassembled from my search for a Phillips screwdriver or a 3/8" wrench. A half hour of searching and a few cuss words and still no luck.

Before heading into town, I pull over to the shop and find my most versatile tool; Channel locks. By that time, I am in the "don't speak to me mode" so she and the dog sit in the vehicle and wait while I try to overcome this sophisticated challenge of changing license plates. I bang on the back hatch to knock the dust off and cuss a few more times. Then knowing I have feigned enough ineptitude, I grab my hidden tool set from a dark corner of the shop and quickly swap out the plates.

She says nothing for the first mile of our drive into town. The silence in the car is broken by her lap dog trying to lick my face as a peace offering. It works. The Newberg household has survived another mechanical marital event. Coffee and scones are picked up at the local coffee bar and without saying a single word, it is evident we will continue our truce where I do not ask her about her Vegas budgets and she will not ask me to do anything mechanical, maintenance, or construction related.

Whew, a close call. :eek:

Anyone want to buy a POS string trimmer?! I'm keeping my Stihl chainsaw though. One day the arborist inside me will die...possibly soon since I now longer own a house with trees to mangle.

I disagree, i think Big Fin is a very unwise man, doesn't his wife read this forum?:D
Cheers
Richard

This morning, I shower and get dressed, then walk into the kitchen for morning coffee. My husband instincts instantly pick up on the fact that Mrs. Fin is doing that "whistle while she waits" routine. Uh oh, something's up. I've been married to this woman for 26+ years and I know when the "fertilizer is about to hit the ventilator."

I look at her laptop and she is logged in to Hunt Talk, with this thread opened. :eek:

I hate to say i bloody told you so:D

Cheers

Richard

I'm pretty good at drinking beer.

+1

I wish I could think of something I wasn't good at..... in my mind anyway.

I seem to have a problem finishing projects. Lets see.... right now I am building a bow (I have one side of one limb whittled in the direction its supposed to go), reloading my rifle ammo, building a dog kennel/ end table (it is almost finished, but I started it in June), building my wife a night stand ( I do have the lumber for it), fixing a scratch in the living room hardwood floor..... Supposed to be building a bedroom and RR in the basement.....ugh I know there is more.

I am a good carpenter, but I don't carpenter much anymore. I love playing my guitars but kind of like NHY.... been learning since I was 6 and not very good at it. I think I like organized chaos but not sure about that.

My secret special skill is "weather interpretive dancing". My wind and snow can make a grown man weep.

I'm pretty good at drinking beer.

I second this.

The good: I once lived in a single room cabin with 32 14-year-old girls (mostly from NYC) for seven weeks and survived (barely). I can hit a ball off of a galloping horse at 35+ mph. I can also pack a horse for the hills, though my diamond hitch def needs refreshing. I average three books per week. I grew up with an Italian father and a french mother so cooking is simply a part of who I am. I can write a damn good essay. I backpacked 150 miles of the Montana/Wyoming Continental Divide by myself last summer and only invoked the wrath of one grizzly out of the fifteen bears that I saw. I'm pretty g/d self-sufficient but I think that can be a big flaw in a lot of ways as well. I can throw a football with the best of them (thanks Dad, for raising me to be your only son.) I'm pretty durn handy with a camera, getting better with that all the time.

The bad: I'm a dingbat when it comes to anything car-related or generally mechanical (hint hint wink wink you guys). I currently feel like a fish out of water heading into my first hunting season. Waking up early is my nemesis. I refuse to swing dance although I can def two-step.

The ugly: I love to sing but no one loves to hear me sing, not even my poor dog, who I sing to all the time.

I feel pretty great about this thread. But I think WV owned everyone with the worm. He sounds like the coolest dad on HuntTalk at this point. Catch up, dudes. Oh--and Big Fin--I hope to meet Mrs. Fin one day. She continues to escalate to higher level of hero status every time I learn something new about her.

Last edited:
I can procrastinate with the best of them, I'm a master of delegating, a pretty good hunter and fisherman, a decent beer drinker, I can make a can of Copenhagen disappear in a day, I'm a pretty good father and a decent husband(this is open for debate I suppose lol). I do taxidermy better than some and worse than others.

I suck at mechanics, physical work, yard work, building things anything NOT hunting or fishing related.

The things I'm good at:
Public speaking.
Statistics, I even do regression equations for fantasy football.
Getting lost, probably my best skill.

The things I'm not so good at:
Knots, which was awkward when packing horses.
Getting found, my wife is fully convinced some day I will go hunting and make it back home outside of a week later.

Reading this made my night!
I consider myself a jack of all trades and a master of none! I a perfectionist at half assing things.
I have enough tools to be able to fix or build things but it all goes down hill once I start. I'm a
tool-a-holic even though I don't use or know how to use most of them The one thing that I'm good at (which is bad) is getting married. I'm on my third marriage but it's the best one and it will last! (That's what she tells me). Nap's are my specialty.

Back