Gunshow Loophole

Ben, I am fine if you want to tackle that. I have no problem closing that "loophole". Like I said, the law is already in place in my state, and like Buzz, I can't remember the last time I went to a gun show. And, I don't mind having to complete a background check for a gun purchase. If it makes you feel better......

It makes me feel better Oak, haha

Don't mean to be blunt but... is this really the most important issue that our country is facing right now? Is this really what we want our leaders thinking about?

Anyone that uses the bodies of 20 children to further an agenda is a piece of s*** in my book be it politicians, media or activists. This is not a time for any of this.

Don't mean to be blunt but... is this really the most important issue that our country is facing right now? Is this really what we want our leaders thinking about?

Anyone that uses the bodies of 20 children to further an agenda is a piece of s*** in my book be it politicians, media or activists. This is not a time for any of this.

+1
But in the famous words of Rahm Emanuel, "never let a good crisis go to waste." The media, politicians and activists feel important again. Finally a distraction from doing our "real" jobs.

Cool, since you never found a deal at a gun show we should close the loophole

No, closing the loophole makes sense to me...a gun purchase is a gun purchase. Background checks, whether at a gun show, gun shop, or sporting goods store...whats the difference?

Background checks are not an infringement on anyones right to purchase a firearm or the 2nd, period.

I'll not wade into the pool regarding how much good background checks do, or the ease of getting around the checks,...thats a completely different topic.

I think Hillary's concussion is wearing off on others. But hey, I do think the shooting is worth talking about. But doing something about it now before taking care of other things...I dunno.

Ben -

When you sell me that little 8x57 mannlicher I hope you don't make me go thru a FFL for a FTF transaction.

I do not favor closing the loophole. As stated previously, straw purchasers will keep the criminals awash with guns, and the only people that will suffer are the law abiding citizens. More expense, time, and government knowledge of gun purchases is bad all around. The more legal guns that can be sold without government knowledge, the better. If big gov came looking for our guns, it would be good to not have your name on record as an owner. Hence why I buy most of my guns used.

on this i can agree totally,if the government has a record of who owns the guns,then it just makes it easer to remove them from law abbiding people,now if everyone,including the governments of the world were willing to get rid of there guns,then i might be willing to relinquish mine,and the odds of that happening are 0 to none.:cool:

NCIS checks have stopped 1.8 million people from illegally purchasing firearms. The law also acts as a deterrence, keeping some who would normally go to a gunshow with the understanding that there's no check to purchase from actually going to a gunshow and purchasing a firearm. While it certainly won't stop everyone from illegally purchasing a firearm, it would stop some. And it would do so with no infringement upon your right to own a firearm.

Show me one piece of evidence that says leaving the loophole open reduces crime.

Unfortunately Ben, none of those 1.8 million people are prosecuted for trying to buy a firearm.

Please explain to me how going through a background check at a gunshow is an infringement upon your right to own a firearm.

Ironic that if you put the same logic to voter ID, the same politicians sound a little.....

How easy do people really need it to be to buy guns? I have purchased probably a dozen guns in my life (all have been long guns), and I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes from the time I said I want this gun to the time I left the store with the gun in my hand. With the exception of handguns, this is about as difficult as it is to purchase a gun in this country. I've never bought a gun at a gunshow but from what I'm gathering, it's even easier than that.

My concern is that there are enough legally purchased guns that are used to commit horrible crimes that it one day may ruin it for the rest of us. People like Jared Loughner and James Holmes should have never been able to legally purchase firearms. I understand that this may open up plenty of extremists talking about further invasions of privacy and a reduction in our rights. And I know those further restrictions may result in some folks being unable to purchase guns that should, and I know it won't guarantee that it'll eliminate every mass shooting from ever taking place again.

But frankly, if you think that we shouldn't do all we can to eliminate the possibility of these nut jobs legally purchasing firearms (I'm not talking illegally, and I'm not talking about eliminating firearms)...then I can't take you seriously.

a person should not have to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes,to purchase a firearm,and if a nutjob runs into a person that allready has his or her firearm in there hand,the odds are good the nut job will be gone,and if a person wants to own a fully automatic ma duce,he should be able to,now a fully automatic weapon,a person should have to go through a background check. and no i do not think a law abiding person who sells a fire arm privatly should have to do a background check

Last edited:
Evidently the gun shows out in your parts of the country are much different than the shows down here. I'd say that 99% of the vendors at our gun shows are regular retail gun dealers who visit the gun shows and sell the same guns that they sell in their stores. The biggest thing is that smaller shops can operate in the same location as the big boys and get the same group of shoppers. This allows those of us who go to the gun shows, to compare, haggle, and get the best price. At the last show I attended (last month) I don't remember seeing but 3 private dealers among about 150 booths. Those 3 dealers were mostly selling collectable guns and none of them I saw even had a semi-automatic gun of any type. The problem with closing the so called "loophole" is in it's application. Exactly where would the restrictions begin and more importantly where would they end? Just as in a gun ban, the antis may succeed in taking away our AR, but which design will they go after next? In the gun show scenario, we already know that many of the anti-organizations want to completely stop all gun shows, so at what point are we willing to concede any individual point? The more cognizant response has to be in simply enforcing the current laws through prosecutions, and strict penalties for violations. Get the courts to actually lock people up, instead of giving them community service, a slap on the wrist, or a fine. If people want legislation, then do something about the HIPPA laws and the privacy laws that prevent psychologists and doctors from reporting really fugged up people to law enforcement officials........but that won't work, since then it becomes a matter of each individual's interpretation of their patient's mental status. I know, let's have all psychopaths have "mental defect" tattooed on their foreheads, and have proactive prison sentences for people who show a propensity for violence and criminality, doesn't that make just as much sense as closing a "loophole" or banning a semi-automatic gun simply based on it's design????????

Evidently the gun shows out in your parts of the country are much different than the shows down here. I'd say that 99% of the vendors at our gun shows are regular retail gun dealers who visit the gun shows and sell the same guns that they sell in their stores. The biggest thing is that smaller shops can operate in the same location as the big boys and get the same group of shoppers. This allows those of us who go to the gun shows, to compare, haggle, and get the best price. At the last show I attended (last month) I don't remember seeing but 3 private dealers among about 150 booths. Those 3 dealers were mostly selling collectable guns and none of them I saw even had a semi-automatic gun of any type.

Evidently gun shows in other areas are diffferent. I went to a Bozeman gun show a couple weeks ago. There were about five retail dealers who had tables and were selling. The other 200+ tables were private guys selling used guns, not to count the hundreds who were walking around with a "For sale" flag in the end of the barrel of their personal guns.

Sounds like a big difference in each part of the country.

Alrighty, I have unfortunately a different question on this and I hope I am not Hijacking the thread. A couple of weeks ago my Daddy passed away and my sister brought over all his guns to me. Let's say I am Bubba in and out of jail and Daddy dies and all of a sudden Bubba has several pistols and rifles, no paperwork. How many guns in a year in this country are "Traded" this way and how will the Gunshow Loophole stop it? Guns like this can quickly spread to others without any paperwork. John

Alrighty, I have unfortunately a different question on this and I hope I am not Hijacking the thread. A couple of weeks ago my Daddy passed away and my sister brought over all his guns to me. Let's say I am Bubba in and out of jail and Daddy dies and all of a sudden Bubba has several pistols and rifles, no paperwork. How many guns in a year in this country are "Traded" this way and how will the Gunshow Loophole stop it? Guns like this can quickly spread to others without any paperwork. John

Sounds to me like you're making a pretty good case for confiscation ;)

John if ''Bubba'' has been in and out of jail he is most likely not allowed to ''possess'' any firearms.

What would be the chances realistically of Bubba's family having anything to hand down? :D

In my opinion, that's the kind of logic that's going to end up costing legal, responsible firearm owners in the longrun. And the previous analogy is completely rational...I'm hearing say we should not institute laws or have them on our books because they will be broken. And I haven't heard one person here advocate against not being able to own guns...this thread is about closing loopholes and fixing a flawed system.

Not being able to compromise on these issues, which I have yet to hear a sound argument against why closing loopholes and enhancing background checks is bad (ie, limiting gun ownership to responsible, law abiding citizens), is going to cost us all a chance to own firearms in the future.

Ben Lamb hit the nail on the head, the tide is not on our side right now.

i am all for closing a loophole at gunshows,but who i sell my guns to is no bodys bussiness,but mine,if you want to make a list of questions a person should ask before selling a gun to a private party,ok,i can see that,but a background check every time i sell a fire arm to say my eighty year old grandad,or my wifes father,or her grandfather,and pay some but head flunky 15-20 dollars to run a background check on someone i have known half,or most of my life,is just plain stupid,not to mention costly,and quite frankly it really is none of the governments bussiness,who i sell my firearms to.:cool:

:D well you can call me buba if you want to,i will take all the guns,and ammo you want to give away.:hump:

Back