Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Glad I had a tourniquet

Good lord Mlgrace, talk about pucker factor. Jesus. Glad you were quick, calm and educated enough to survive this. Please don't take this the wrong way, but thanks for the education. I'm adding a RATS to my emergency kit.

Sorry that happened but glad you are alright. Been debating this as others but no longer. Placing an order for a couple now.

Holy cow. Glad you're OK. I do a lot of weekend stuff solo. Ie, woodcutting, hiking, hunting, cabin remodeling ect.....I guess that I never put in much thought about these types of injuries. What is a trustworthy source to read about these types of tourniquets and their applications?

Holy cow. Glad you're OK. I do a lot of weekend stuff solo. Ie, woodcutting, hiking, hunting, cabin remodeling ect.....I guess that I never put in much thought about these types of injuries. What is a trustworthy source to read about these types of tourniquets and their applications?
What information are you wanting? Truly, if your not sure if a wound needs a tourniquet, apply a tourniquet. It can always be removed later. Buy the one I linked or the one Sask Hunter linked and read then application instructions. They are made to be stupid easy. Remember, you may have 60 seconds to get one on, with blood covered hands.

I need a refresher course with the new EMS procticols...used my belt and some boat cord before in a pinch. My EMS class book is 20 years old. Going to find out what is now used by my local EMS. A new model is going in the truck, as the one in my grab bag is at home most of the time.

That's why I wanted a spotter that day mrcowboy, just in case. And you stopped me and we took more clearance/exit space,just in case.
Now 2 trees can be worked on the ground,with chaps & all.

Just in case is my motto with just Rio around most of the time.

unfortunately it was not a great hunting accident. This is the result of a deck screw. I was replacing steps on a deck and did not use long enough deck screws from behind the deck rail into the steps. Step collapsed and I went straight down and the screw caught me. Ruined a vein, ripped an artery. Ripped the muscle. Doc said it wa in the top 5% most deadly traumas that he had to fix In surgery. Yikes. It sucked. my son came immediately and applied the RATS that he keeps in his Jeep. I hope that someone reads this and gets a tourniquet and keeps it handy. I started thinking how I am always in the middle of nowhere, alone and out of range. One will be on my day pack from now on.

Holy smokes, that's a bad one, glad you're ok!

I've been carrying a tourniquet in my first aid kit for the past couple seasons, think I'll buy one for the house and one for the truck too...

Great reminder thread. Our local hunting club had Stop the Bleed come out and do a presentation a few years back. I thought it was valuable information. Basics of wrapping a wound and tourniquet application.

Two weeks ago yesterday I suffered a very severe laceration of my left leg. We applied a RATS tourniquet and headed to the emergency room. It was still pumping some from the artery. The ER doc applied a CATS style and his thumb to the artery until it quit. 4 hours later we had emergency surgery and ended with over two hundred stitches. I have no feeling now from my knee to my foot on the inside and front of the calf to the foot. The moral is keep a tourniquet in your vehicle as well as in your daily hunting pack. It literally saved me
Holy hell. Glad you're ok. Definitely something to carry and practice with. Thanks for sharing as this could save someone down the road.

Wow. Good reminder to everyone.

The old dogma behind tourniquets is bullshit. Applied correctly, you aren’t losing the limb or anything silly like that.

If you only carry one first aid item in your pack it should be a tourniquet. Practice getting it on with one hand as well.
Spot on advice. In a pinch. A shoe string/boot lace. Or a long thin torn swath from a shirt. All will work as a tourniquet. Without anything, firm direct pressure over the cut artery or vein is/can be a life saver.

It would be more important for one to get personal and buddy first aid training more than anything.

The tools are useless without training
Ya I’m an old soldier. now retired. Ive had a lot of training thankfully. It saved me. But I was bleeding very severely and was applying high pressure when my son put the RATs on my leg. Still have no feeling in the leg unfortunately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back