Yeti GOBOX Collection

Glad I had a tourniquet

That's a great one though the SOF unit has a clip release and metal triangle to lock the metal bar.

The clip release allows a person to slip the webbing around the arm or leg w/o having to keep a loop and slip it up over pants legs to the crotch / or arm pit areas.

They hold an annual review of how to better enhance IFAK's and that SOF Tourniquet is the "latest and Greatest".

Wow. Good reminder to everyone.

The old dogma behind tourniquets is bullshit. Applied correctly, you aren’t losing the limb or anything silly like that.

If you only carry one first aid item in your pack it should be a tourniquet. Practice getting it on with one hand as well.
That dogma is only bullshit if you know how to apply it. Not necessarily an easy thing to do.

That dogma is only bullshit if you know how to apply it. Not necessarily an easy thing to do.
How hard is it to put it above the wound and not directly on a joint?

Probably your worst case scenario of improper application (other than not stopping the bleeding, which has its own consequences) would be nerve damage. Having nerve damage > being dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn man so sorry to see and glad you’re ok! Thanks for the post/reminder esp. on the putting one on dingle handed! Used to go through this training every three years as a fireman but then as a manager the City thought it “unimportant” for that position (read as don’t want to pay for the training) I need to brush up now retired! Mend up my friend!!!

How hard is it to put it above the wound and not directly on a joint?

Probably your worst case scenario of improper application (other than not stopping the bleeding, which has its own consequences) would be nerve damage. Having nerve damage > being dead.

Also, going at least 2 inches above the wound or amputation is important, some arteries and veins can retract once severed. You'll stop the blood loss below the TK but not above.

Bloody hell, that gave me shivers seeing and i have this ability to just randomly injure myself. gonna grab a few of these now including one just to throw into my backpack when i go out along with a snake bite bandage (same concept to a tourniquet but with marking on them to show when you have reached the right pressure with them)

This is what the snake bite one looks like

snake-bite-bandage-w-indicator-153928.jpg

Also, going at least 2 inches above the wound or amputation is important, some arteries and veins can retract once severed. You'll stop the blood loss below the TK but not above.
Aren’t you suppose to go above the joint? Where there is only a single bone, not so the artery can go between the bones of the forearm and shin? It’s been a long time since I’ve done cls or applied a tourniquet. Dude couldn’t even tell us his name. That shit sucked. Glad you’re ok @Mlgrace

Aren’t you suppose to go above the joint? Where there is only a single bone, not so the artery can go between the bones of the forearm and shin?

Its definitely better to go above the joint where you would have one bone, but you can still apply one below a joint. All injuries are different and I would much rather go above the joint for heavy arterial bleeds. Another thing to remember is not to remove an ineficient TK, leave it in place and add another one.

All the best to you as you recover man! Glad you’re alive to tell the tale.

I keep one with me while hunting all the time. This is a good reminder to pull it out and practice getting it on solo from time to time!

Its definitely better to go above the joint where you would have one bone, but you can still apply one below a joint. All injuries are different and I would much rather go above the joint for heavy arterial bleeds. Another thing to remember is not to remove an ineficient TK, leave it in place and add another one.
Exactly what the doc did. So the injury is lower leg. The tourniquets were both applied mid thigh.

All the best to you as you recover man! Glad you’re alive to tell the tale.

I keep one with me while hunting all the time. This is a good reminder to pull it out and practice getting it on solo from time to time!
Absolutely. An occasional practice and re-read of the instructions is the key. I actually have the instructions posted on the shelf at my handloading station. That way I reread it often when I am sitting there. I took the down time opportunity to watch severa YouTube videos on CPR and the ADH machine use As a brush up.

Stick/screwdriver and a belt…

On the semi, I have some 1” straps that would work as well if needed.

Nice reminder…

I added some blood clot packets to the truck too.

ETA:

Speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back