Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Beware the Portland Pizza

In one of our many meetings when I was Board Chair of Jim Posewitz's Orion-The Hunter's Institute, Poz once told me, “When you get to the pearly gates, Saint Peter ain't looking for diplomas, awards or medals; he’s looking for scars.”

I think I’ll get in the gates with this one. It’s not going away anytime soon.

First post-op appointment was this morning. Three months of PT and restricted to lifting nothing over 5 pounds. That's a major problem for my POW Alaska black bear hunt in May. I’m going to learn how to shoot left-handed, wear a pirate eyepatch on my right eye, and I'll try to go on my bear hunt in Alaska as a lefty. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

View attachment 267361

In one of our many meetings when I was Board Chair of Jim Posewitz's Orion-The Hunter's Institute, Poz once told me, “When you get to the pearly gates, Saint Peter ain't looking for diplomas, awards or medals; he’s looking for scars.”

I think I’ll get in the gates with this one. It’s not going away anytime soon.

First post-op appointment was this morning. Three months of PT and restricted to lifting nothing over 5 pounds. That's a major problem for my POW Alaska black bear hunt in May. I’m going to learn how to shoot left-handed, wear a pirate eyepatch on my right eye, and I'll try to go on my bear hunt in Alaska as a lefty. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

View attachment 267361
Get well soon Randy! Thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery!
In regards to the hunt have you considered going along as an observer and maybe presenting the hunt through the eyes of an observer? I generally agree with the mantra hunt until you can't but when you're talking about shooting left handed with an eye patch I wonder if a video from the perspective of an observer might be something to consider.

Get well soon Randy! Thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery!
In regards to the hunt have you considered going along as an observer and maybe presenting the hunt through the eyes of an observer? I generally agree with the mantra hunt until you can't but when you're talking about shooting left handed with an eye patch I wonder if a video from the perspective of an observer might be something to consider.
Good points. In this case, I am the only tag holder. If I'm not able to shoot accurately, I will eat the tag. I will bring two camera guys with, and I will have the benefit of a very good friend, Jim Baichtal.

The physical therapist is a very fanatic hunter, which is why I went to him. He feels he can fully immobilize my right hand for that trip and if I'm able to shoot left-handed, I should be OK to go by early June. Fingers crossed.

If you want to get more used to doing left handed things… i bought a few pieces of Fjall Raven clothing the other day and didn’t realize until I got them home that all the zippers are left handed!

After a couple days of wearing their shirts I feel surprisingly more useful with my left hand.
I have been forcing myself to button my shirts, to tie my shoes, and some other daily necessities with my left hand. It is surprising how quickly your non-dominant hand can catch on. Shaving each morning has turned into a rather tenuous exercise. If I end up with another wound, it is because my left hand is not as adept at shaving as I had hoped it would be.

Good points. In this case, I am the only tag holder. If I'm not able to shoot accurately, I will eat the tag. I will bring two camera guys with, and I will have the benefit of a very good friend, Jim Baichtal.

The physical therapist is a very fanatic hunter, which is why I went to him. He feels he can fully immobilize my right hand for that trip and if I'm able to shoot left-handed, I should be OK to go by early June. Fingers crossed.
I understand, I'm sure there are a lot of moving parts.
POW is a beautiful place, I hope you get a little fishing in on the trip as well. Or at least get to eat some.

I have been forcing myself to button my shirts, to tie my shoes, and some other daily necessities with my left hand. It is surprising how quickly your non-dominant hand can catch on. Shaving each morning has turned into a rather tenuous exercise. If I end up with another wound, it is because my left hand is not as adept at shaving as I had hoped it would be.
Think outside the box, guy. A bunch of us over on the rotator cuff thread are dealing with the no right hand problem. For your button downs, don't use the buttons. Just pull'em on like a t-shirt. right hand in the sleeve first.

Speed lace your boots without untying them so you don't have to re-tie them.

Good luck shooting one handed. Shouldn't be too hard, but you may have to pass up a shot you might have felt comfortable with as a righty.

More than one way to skin a cat. :)

Randy, I am continued to be amazed at your positive approach to your recovery and push forward. You've inspired many of us over the years with honest and somewhat humorous attitudes. I'm sure the Alaska hunt will happen and be more motivation us HTers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back