Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gianforte gets warning in killing of Yellowstone wolf

Also during the press conference, Gianforte said he made a mistake when he trapped and killed a wolf near Yellowstone without first taking a required course. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks issued the governor a written warning. The governor told reporters he took the course Wednesday night.

“I've been trapping for nearly 50 years. I started when I was just a tot. Again, I think it's an integral part of our heritage and an important tool in predator control and wildlife management. So, the class -- I made a mistake. I'm glad I was able to check the box last night. It was a good refresher for me. But in hindsight I wouldn't have done it any differently.”
I was okay with what he was saying ... up to the last sentence. Sounds like he doesn't get the message. The law is there for a reason. Living in an ordered democratic society we have to accept the good ones with the bad ones. He has thumbed his nose at the regs with no regret. What a dumb thing to say. But hey, whattya expect? He is after all an arrogant asshole ... with a mug shot to prove it.

I'm not sure how you can read that other than "I really don't care that I broke the law."
Very easy. He is saying he did everything according to the class in regards to the actual trapping. He isn't referring to not following the law with respect to this class. Any person with a firing brain cell should be able to understand and comprehend what he meant by what he said.

Very easy. He is saying he did everything according to the class in regards to the actual trapping. He isn't referring to not following the law with respect to this class. Any person with a firing brain cell should be able to understand and comprehend what he meant by what he said.

The quote leaves me with the impression that he thinks taking the class beforehand wasn't necessary, even if required by FWP. You can just "check the box" if you make a mistake....errr, I guess 30-some odd days after you get caught, but as soon as the media finds out...and it's as good as if you'd followed the rules.

Do you think he cares that he broke the law?

I had been trying to wait for a slot to open up for days leading up to the trapping class. The same trapping certification class he did on the 24th (wend). As of Tuesday night the website said they had 0 openings out of 250. Somehow they must have found one more opening slot.

What? It takes some creative brain cells to come up with any other interpretation of that quote other than "I would not have done the wolf shooting in a trap any differently even if I had known the class was required first." Do you think he's talking about checking a box? How many different ways could he do that? Standing on his head? Whoever set the trap should have known the regs first. That's what should have been done differently.

Last edited:
So, I will make the assumption that all on here casting stones buckle up their seat belts every time they get behind the wheel, and never drive over the speed limit.

Or can we pick and choose? Which laws
matter? Which apply to me, which to everyone else?
I can honestly say I wouldn’t care less had it been Bullock who shot the wolf under the same circumstance.

So, I will make the assumption that all on here casting stones buckle up their seat belts every time they get behind the wheel, and never drive over the speed limit.
Eric, I've appreciated your insight re: outfitters though this and your next post... really?
If I was to place a comparison close to your "strawman" debate, this would be parallel to driving without a license not driving 1 mile over the speed limit.

Edit added: or operating an outfitter business without a license, to keep it somewhat Hunt related.

Speed limits? I didn’t know Montana had speed limits. Just another example of burdensome gubmint regulation. Speed limits are for peasants not important people.

Back