Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gianforte gets warning in killing of Yellowstone wolf

Never said wolf that was shot was starving
In your continued explanation of your shooting an animal in someone else’s trap, it was starving and on the verge of death. I’m confused.
When someone sees an animal starved near to death in a trap and does nothing to end the suffering, well they can go ———- themselves.
I don’t care if the warden was standing beside me I would dispatch an animal starving to death in a trap.

It is EASY to hide behind an anonymous moniker and take shots at individuals who actually identify themselves.
Its not R vs D for me with Gianforte. I don't like the man for how he behaves and what he represents. I also am embarrassed that our state elected him mostly based on party lines. I can think of a slew of previous Republican Governors and Senators who were true to their "Right" values but also looked out for Montanans because they were from Montana.
As for hiding...funny. Its a talk forum.

I suspect no one would care if I dispatched an animal in someone else's trap ... as long as I left it there and didn't mess up the hide killing it. Not an issue up here. Leg hold traps have been banned for at least thirty years. Killer traps only.

And Eric, if you happen to come onto an animal in a leghold trap that's been there long enough to starve, you damn well better be calling the authorities. Not a likely scenario though. The critter would have a better chance of being maimed by a meteorite.

Never said wolf that was shot was starving
Widespread I don’t know. I live in microcosm in NE Mt. I’ve seen a couple coyotes and 1 fox in my tenure. I know others who have seen similar.
I have little use for predators, wolves, lions, coyotes, but I do not wish nor want to see them wiped from the earth. All have their place. I do not think predators have a place ahead of game animals. That said I would harbor and protect the last 2 coyotes left on earth to see them not go extinct(as I would with lions and wolves). Eastern Montana would not be eastern Mt without an occasional serenade from a coyote. Eat mule deer and antelope they may, they still hold a place, more deserved than a lot of people I know.

I suspect no one would care if I dispatched an animal in someone else's trap ... as long as I left it there and didn't mess up the hide killing it. Not an issue up here. Leg hold traps have been banned for at least thirty years. Killer traps only.

And Eric, if you happen to come onto an animal in a leghold trap that's been there long enough to starve, you damn well better be calling the authorities. Not a likely scenario though. The critter would have a better chance of being maimed by a meteorite.
Really? You are less informed daily

I think I just went into the Twilight Zone of mental masturbation.
Whoa, Mtmiller censured me a while ago for being obnoxious, wait til he reads what you just wrote.

I laughed, I know I’m a bad person but not just for laughing at this.
dang funny JLS.

I figured this would stir some. Morally and ethically when you see an animal in a trap that is emaciated(starving for those less
Literate) what is the correct thing to do???? So if you’re not good with that you can go f_ck y_ _rs_lf. Need to buy a vowel???

I don’t know much about trapping but I have a friend that is very dedicated to it. I have seen him mention several times the issues this causes for him and him begging people to not shoot coyotes that they find in traps.
I can’t even remember the exact reason. Maybe it makes the hair slip? I’m not sure, but I remember it being a big deal to trappers that they wish people would not shoot their trapped coyotes.

Really? You are less informed daily
It’s 2:40 time to check heifers and thought I’d take a reading and see if I did not understand your post last night, as I was extremely tired. Upon reading it again this is what I glean.
You really believe an animal has a better chance of being stoned in a meteor shower than being happened upon in a trap?
I’ll leave the creativity of my last comment for someone else to run with.

I don’t know much about trapping but I have a friend that is very dedicated to it. I have seen him mention several times the issues this causes for him and him begging people to not shoot coyotes that they find in traps.
I can’t even remember the exact reason. Maybe it makes the hair slip? I’m not sure, but I remember it being a big deal to trappers that they wish people would not shoot their trapped coyotes.
I would not do this unless the animal was obviously starving. The other reason ifor not wanting a dead coyote in a trap is they become eagle fodder, and they don’t skin the dog prior to dining.

I haven't read the whole thread. Not a fan of his. But, I don't think he knew the law, and I also don't think he intentionally broke the law either. He brought the animal in as required. If he knew he was breaking the law, he would've not brought it in. The FWP states that par for the coarse is to issue a warning the first time. And he enrolled in the class. So looking at the available evidence, I'm not spending any time being mad on it.

It’s 2:40 time to check heifers and thought I’d take a reading and see if I did not understand your post last night, as I was extremely tired. Upon reading it again this is what I glean.
You really believe an animal has a better chance of being stoned in a meteor shower than being happened upon in a trap?
I’ll leave the creativity of my last comment for someone else to run with.
The reference was to happening upon a STARVING animal in a trap. Let me know the next time you see something like that ... right after you call the hotline.

The reference was to happening upon a STARVING animal in a trap. Let me know the next time you see something like that ... right after you call the hotline.
That’s what I thought. I’d be willing to wage there are a few others on here who’ve seen the same thing.

I haven't read the whole thread. Not a fan of his. But, I don't think he knew the law, and I also don't think he intentionally broke the law either. He brought the animal in as required. If he knew he was breaking the law, he would've not brought it in. The FWP states that par for the coarse is to issue a warning the first time. And he enrolled in the class. So looking at the available evidence, I'm not spending any time being mad on it.
A voice of reason, you’ll soon be crucified. Haters hate, they don’t reason.

People tend to shoot em in the head which makes a mess when skinning . I'd rather they were shot in the lungs which is way less messy . I have had people shoot a couple wolves in the head and it isn't only messy it ruins the skull which is worth a hundred bucks .
I have been a trapline helper and we encounter wolves accidentally caught in lynx or rabbit snares but very rarely. We never set for them. Mostly a waste of time. They are damn smart. Also, they are awful to deal with.

As to unwanted observers shooting a trapped animal. I think it's something any decent trapper can put up with. The animal's suffering is ended quicker. Maybe not what you'd prefer but oh well. Lots of things don't go just right when trapping. That thing is not totally wrong. As a knowledgable person who formerly helped with trapping in the leghold States, I know how to dispatch bobcats, coyotes, and foxes without leaving a mark. But I sure as hell would not get that close to a wolf! I have seen wolf pelts at the trappers show that went for up to $1,000 Canadian ... but no big holes in them. The fantastic arctic wolf we were considering for full body showroom mount was shot in the head with .22.

We charge $250 for cleaning and whitening a deer skull and I'm not sure we're making any money on the deal. Are you selling a raw wolf skull for a hundred bucks?

Back to topic. I have no doubt that the governor made a mistake not reading the regs. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, as they say. It shows me he is careless, something confirmed by his earlier mistake shooting a spike bull that he thought was legal branch antler. And punching out a reporter. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to continue making excuses for a leader who is habitually careless. But I guess those folks have had a lot of practice making excuses over the last four years.

Last edited:
Also during the press conference, Gianforte said he made a mistake when he trapped and killed a wolf near Yellowstone without first taking a required course. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks issued the governor a written warning. The governor told reporters he took the course Wednesday night.

“I've been trapping for nearly 50 years. I started when I was just a tot. Again, I think it's an integral part of our heritage and an important tool in predator control and wildlife management. So, the class -- I made a mistake. I'm glad I was able to check the box last night. It was a good refresher for me. But in hindsight I wouldn't have done it any differently.”

Back