Food plots

TC prohunter

I have been using antler king for the past 6 years and now I am getting ready to redo them this year with clover crush and rack radish crush and some buckwheat. Not my hunting season starts OCT 1 when should I start planting these? I was thinking end of August or September

That'd probably be the correct time, but it's hard to tell since you don't list your location. I think I'd way at least 6 weeks from planting to when you want it up and I'd want that to be a frost free time. Just keep in mind that perennial clover often doesn't do a whole lot until the 2nd year. May want to think about a nurse crop of oats or winter rye for the clover plots. Good luck!

1pt is correct again, depends on where you are at. If you don't want to go the pre bagged route, your local grain elevator can put together whatever seeds you want at a fraction of the cost and in 40 lb bags this allows you to mix whatever you want. I try and mix things so that as one thing dies off the next is coming on strong and so on. Good luck.

I've always trusted the old Farmer's Almanac, when it comes to planting times. I also do not favor national branded seed or seed mixes, but prefer to go with seed and seed mixes from a local source. I usually plant at least 7 different plots on about 78 acres, and I'll usually plant some different varieties on at least 3 or 4 of them, while keeping the other plots planted with the same mix. I also try to plant taller growing varieties on the outer edges of the plots.

As for the soil tests, many places such as Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, and Ag Supply even sell ph meters and soil tests that you can do yourself. Also, your local state agriculture agencies (at least down here in the South) will test soil samples you provide them with, at no charge. Hell, that's about the only good thing that Clemson University will do for SC residents, so they aren't a total waste of state dollars!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back