Montana General Season Structure Proposal

Hell I’d just like to get back to this. These are just over the state line in North Dakota on public. Wish I’d have saved all the photos of bucks over the years from literally 5 miles over the state line. When you hit the state line it’s night and day difference in quality and quantity. Wife even made the comment when we were heading east a couple weeks ago about the amount of deer you see on the ND side compared to MT and ND says their numbers are down
View attachment 327472
View attachment 327470
View attachment 327471
I sure wish I had a quality camera back in the 80's and 90's. I would have a photo album full of pictures just like that from the Custer.

As a separate matter from our season structure proposal I would love to see a renovation of the reservation process for Type 2 Block Management properties for the landowners who are tired of dealing with the amount of hunters trying to get a slot to hunt. They have to deal with the folks whom they give permission to as well as everyone else who calls when they’re already booked.

I would love to see a voluntary registry of properties that could be booked via a website much like a VRBO or AirBNB site where hunters could browse multiple properties online and compare open dates on the properties to the dates they want to hunt. They would then be able to enter their information and reserve a date.
If only there was existing technology to accomplish your vision…

The capability already exists, the harder part is having the state government adopt it at the speed of relevancy.

I agree with you 100% that if BMA reservations could be made online or within the FWP app, it would reduce the annoyance factor for the landowners significantly.

If only there was existing technology to accomplish your vision…

The capability already exists, the harder part is having the state government adopt it at the speed of relevancy.

I agree with you 100% that if BMA reservations could be made online or within the FWP app, it would reduce the annoyance factor for the landowners significantly.
It would also curb nepotism greatly.

Upcoming meeting​

The MDCAC meetings will be open to the public via zoom and public comment will be taken. There will be further opportunity for public engagement and input during development of the management plan. We look forward to public participation in the process through those avenues.

When: May 28 at 11 a.m.

Where: Via Zoom

Watch/Join meeting online:

public comment rumored to be allowed at 1:30PM via above link.

I cannot attend the zoom and comment, but would like to, if possible suggest 1) mandatory unbiased harvest and hunter surveys to obtain data, 2) end of all public land MD doe killing, and 3) separation of general statewide seasons that are combined deer/elk. Needs to be separated to allow for area and species specific mgt.

I'm not confident MT FWP will do anything with the input/guidance/suggestions from CAC or public, but hope is free.

Any talk of cake and eating it to?
I thought it was interesting when fwp official said most of the stuff will get passed right by if the committee isn’t more specific. I didn’t get to watch much though Tuesday after the holiday wasn’t conducive for watching a zoom meeting.

I thought it was interesting when fwp official said most of the stuff will get passed right by if the committee isn’t more specific. I didn’t get to watch much though Tuesday after the holiday wasn’t conducive for watching a zoom meeting.
Yeah most working people are you know working

Maybe I'm simple, but I felt that to be kind of contradictory to the fact they don't want them to mention specifics either. That's a tough line to walk.

Rumor has it were asked “1-2 minutes each” to hit their highlights. Process is screwed. I was not able to listen.

Reactions: DFS
public comment rumored to be allowed at 1:30PM via above link.

I cannot attend the zoom and comment, but would like to, if possible suggest 1) mandatory unbiased harvest and hunter surveys to obtain data, 2) end of all public land MD doe killing, and 3) separation of general statewide seasons that are combined deer/elk. Needs to be separated to allow for area and species specific mgt.

I'm not confident MT FWP will do anything with the input/guidance/suggestions from CAC or public, but hope is free.
I attended and carried @The Hedgehogs points there - I also suggested adding reporting that prompts you before buying next years tags and making the late parts of the season limited entry or shortening the season entirely.

I will say - there was essentially no one there i believe 6 total and most were dept employees. I understand people work... Just feel like there are lots of folks who could move lunch/break and make the call. Totally understand people cant always do that (me included) but its a good use of time. I wasnt actively listening (i was busy) until public comments and then spent all of 15 minutes listening and stating my comments. I regret not doing more of this in the last 10 years living here - imagine if 15 people all called in and provided some of the feedback they did on this thread?

Anyway - im not trying to shame anyone - just sharing that a phone call was a pretty cheap use of my time and a million times more effective than arguing in any of these threads. And it felt like more voices would raise a lot more political capital for this comittee to work with. Thanks for your efforts @antlerradar and @Eric Albus

I was only able to listen in today. I was in the middle of painting. I missed the zoom, attended threw youtube. Attended the whole meeting today, still following.

Rumor has it were asked “1-2 minutes each” to hit their highlights. Process is screwed. I was not able to listen.
Same as last time. "Please try to keep your comments within two minutes". It's good enough time to keep people rambling into the thick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jd Gardner
Back