Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Father/Son Trip

DRAFTSTUD

Ken (Noharleyet) and I have been trying to get together with our sons for a Father/Son trip fishing for awhile. I had been looking at Lake Tawakoni as it was as close as halfway as I could find. As I talked it over with everyone my son Travis suggested I hire a guide to learn the Lake and techniques that they use to catch Monster Blue cats from Dec. to March.
I got in touch with Teri at Lake Tawakoni Guide Service and she had an opening for March the 8th. She also suggested we stay at the Shoestring Bed and Breakfast near the Marina. Well we arrived Friday afternoon at the Bed & Breakfast, Patti the owner said we were to stay in the Gray House. The house wasn't painted gray, it was so old the wood was gray. I found where Davy Crockett had signed in saying he was headed to San Antonio for a vacation.........well, it was 38 dollars a night and that included a real nice Breakfast in the main house, nice!
After breakfast we drove over to meet Teri at the Marina and we were all worried about the threat of a cold front coming in, so we didn't know what the fish were going to do or if we were just going to be sitting in our rain gear wondering why we were doing this! LOL
We had a few bites right off the first set, but no hook ups, THEN it happened! Ken's rod bent over and the Guide told him to Burn the Reel to set the 10/0 circle hooks we were using and the fight was on! I will try to post a video of the fight if I can, but Ken had all he could handle in that fish! I was behind Ken acting as Cheerleader and laughing my ass off! I was loving it, Ken fighting a big fish and his son, my son all watching, then we saw the Monster! OMG what a fish, it was unbelievable the size of that Hog as Ken kept trying to reel it in, arms burning, your cranking hand starts to not work as well while you try to use the right technique to get the fish to the surface for the guide to net it.
Finally on about the 3rd or 4th time Teri gets the Fish in the net! WOW! 57 pounds!
We caught some more nice fish to give us each enough fillets for a Family Fish Fry, so it was a wonderful trip. Teri @ Lake Tawakoni was a great guide, tell her John & Ken sent ya!
Congrats to Ken and let me say it was a real pleasure doing this trip with you and Kenny Jr. We will do this again! John
picture.php

Cue up KC and the Sunshine Band.....that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it, uh huh uh huh, that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it...... Very cool you gents could get together and make the trip happen.

Spooky, I used to think that until recently. The Husband of Teri (our Guide) helped out the Texas Parks and Wildlife when a 85# Blue Cat was caught by some guys on the bank who could not speak too good English. Well he showed them how to clean it and cut the head off for the TPW so they could age the fish, turns out the fish was spawned in 1989 making it around 25 years old.
I had heard other things like a pound a year, ect. It was interesting to learn the truth and I will qualify that that was that fish on that Lake. John

Thanks to Draftstud for the legwork on a quality weekend. Ken Jr. and I banked some lasting memories. It was a real pleasure to meet Travis, an outstanding young man. It should be mentioned that he caught our biggest keeper, a 10 lb 'box' blue cat.
Catching the big cat was exciting but having my son and good friends enjoying it with me was absolutely the best part. Watching that big old fish swim away was pretty darn cool also.

Thanks again John..

Now that is a fish! Congrats on the trip. I'm gonna have to do something like that with my boys someday. Looks like a blast.

DRAFTSTUD, What an awesome way to spend time with friends and family. I was fortunate enough to live close to a lake that had quality blues and flatheads in it a few years back. We moved out west and I have pretty much quit fishing since. We truly miss the quality time that we spent on the lake hauling in the Boilers as we called them. Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.11.26.jpg
    Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.11.26.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.11.58.png
    Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.11.58.png
    453.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.12.43.jpg
    Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.12.43.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.13.32.jpg
    Snap 2014-03-10 at 08.13.32.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 276
Excellent!!! Way to make some memories! And thanks for sharing with us.
Sounds like the first of many trips...

Back