Fastest way to find some 6.5’s

Given the questions asked by OP my guess is capabilities at 1200yds is the least of his concerns. ;)
Just an example demonstrating the versatility, great for pretty much any North America game animal at reasonable range, even have some fun learning how to read wind, mirage at longer ranges to become a better shot. Sometimes best to start with a classic instead of the new shiney thing when trying to figure things out for yourself. The fact that it was easy to develop 6 MOA or better loads with 4 different powders and 3 different bullets is probably more relevant in the current environment of shortages.

did you mean osteopath, orthopedic shoulder doc or chiropractor? Recoil actually quite manageable in a 9 lb rifle, and you don't even think about it with a Cape Buffalo at 20 yards!
They will definitely demand your attention- you’ll be happy to be alive for the subsequent doctor’s visit ;)

Get the .308. The 6.5, despite all the "get off my lawn" haters is the latest greatest simply because of good bullets and low recoil. The problem is that folks without much experience made it into an elk rifle, when there are far better choices, including .308. Ammo will be much harder to find for a long time. If you're just getting into rifle shooting, you're going to need to shoot at least a hundred rounds from field positions to feel comfortable killing game efficiently. .308 is a buck a round, 6.5 CM $4 a round.

Get the .308. The 6.5, despite all the "get off my lawn" haters is the latest greatest simply because of good bullets and low recoil. The problem is that folks without much experience made it into an elk rifle, when there are far better choices, including .308. Ammo will be much harder to find for a long time. If you're just getting into rifle shooting, you're going to need to shoot at least a hundred rounds from field positions to feel comfortable killing game efficiently. .308 is a buck a round, 6.5 CM $4 a round.
If OP is truly new to rifle shooting - they would be well served by first buying a $300 .22LR and put a 1,000 rounds through it just to learn the basics.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and just get a 270 Winchester...

You can save yourself time from reading the whole article, here is the last paragraph:

Whether you choose to risk your inches to wind deflection or bullet drop, you can't dispute the wonderful performance and versatility of both these cartridges. In energy, velocity and drop, the 270 Winchester wins.

270, 280, 308, 30-06 - anything in that flavor. The Creedmoor is a fine cartridge, but is less flexible than the others in terms of terminal performance on large antlered game. But if that's your kink, then be sure to stock up on 1 round that will be your hunting round & practice with that.

Ammo availability is going to be tough over the next year or so. Probably until midterms. So take that into consideration more than the flavor of cartridge your going to consider. 308, 30-06, 270 are the primary hunting cartridges in the USA, so they will have a higher rate of production than the boutique rounds

As for the Rigby versus Remington Debate: It's a wash so long as it's featured in a single shot or a controlled round feed action. If you do go with the Ruger #1, I would suggest the 450/400 3.25" - Because that's class.

The only reason I’m vibing towards a 6.5 is because it’s what they have in stock.
I was looking for a 30-06 because it won the freezer filler thread, but no luck.

they do have the same gun in .308.
is .308 good?
looking for 1 rifle to rule them all.
A couple stores down the street each have several left hand Savage Axis rifles in .30-06, .243, .270 6.5 Creedmoor, but 5 boxes of 6.5 ammo on Gunbroker could set you back more than the cost of any of those rifles might.

A couple stores down the street each have several left hand Savage Axis rifles in .30-06, .243, .270 6.5 Creedmoor, but 5 boxes of 6.5 ammo on Gunbroker could set you back more than the cost of any of those rifles might.
Just keep looking if you're down to thinking about Axis's

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back