Fastest way to find some 6.5’s

Which ones do I buy to practice with?
which ones do I buy for shooting at a deer at 8-10k ft in Colorado this October?

As an apparently new rifle shooter, practice with whatever reputable brand you can find. But for hunting you will want a quality contructed bullet designed for that type of game. If I had to go "one rifle" and I wanted to shoot copper (lead-free) I would go VORTEX factory loaded 150grain TTSX bullets. If I wanted lead I would go with Federal Fusion. There are literally 100 options (including the much recommended Acubond bullets in various factory loads) that would do the trick but sometimes simple is best - these two will simply get the job done and I figured a 20-30 option list would only confuse matters.

At some point when you are comfortable with the gun (and scope) at various distances and from various shooting positions you will want to switch from practice ammo to your hunting ammo. You will at least want enough of the hunting ammo to set your 200 yard zero and then comfirm your drop at 100y and 300y. Then you are ready to hunt.

Buy a 7mm...
6.5 will be that much more plentiful then...

Wait....

I meant 338.... yeah...... :rolleyes:

Ok so like sorry if this is an overly basic question, but is there like an ammo/gun shortage going on right now?

Im thinking about becoming a rifle hunter and the local gun store has a tikka tx3 in 6.5 that looks pretty cool that I’m thinking about picking up.
I’d like to get it setup and ready so I can shoot it when I go to Colorado next month, but obviously I’m having trouble finding rounds for it.

I’m not asking for your honey holes but does anyone have any websites they’d recommend checking or do I need to put my name on a waiting list somewhere or something?

does tracking down a couple boxes before March 1st seem like wishful thinking?

thanks for any help!
There's plenty of ammo out there just get the checkbook out.

@rwc101 makes a great point... do you really want a 6.5 creedmoor to be part of your brand.

You need to make a statement if your going to stand out on this forum.

Snowy's got his high alpine pellet gun, Muley has the RUM, Vikingsguy has his harem of economy rifles...

You could be this guy.

It'd be a hell of a squirrel gun...
1612914186395.png

Last edited:
I am not a fan of one gun rules them all. I like the golf club approach - sure I could play a whole round with my 7 iron, but I prefer to use all 13 clubs. I also like having different rifle options for different situations. Not because I have to, but because it is part of the fun.
Tin Cup did fine with just a 7 iron... but I agree with your thought on different rifles/different situations.

@rwc101 makes a great point... do you really want a 6.5 creedmoor to be part of your brand.

You need to make a statement if your going to stand out on this forum.

Snowy's got his high alpine pellet gun, Muley has the RUM, Vikingsguy has his harem of economy rifles...

You could be this guy.

It'd be a hell of a squirrel gun...
View attachment 173422
Willm - why the infatuation with the Rem Mag - why not the classic Rigby? I suspect Ben Lamb and BrentD would be on my side for this one.

The only reason I’m vibing towards a 6.5 is because it’s what they have in stock.
I was looking for a 30-06 because it won the freezer filler thread, but no luck.

they do have the same gun in .308.
is .308 good?
looking for 1 rifle to rule them all.
Go 308, I have found ammo available from Africa to New Zealand. It is probably the most forgiving caliber to start reloading if you go that direction. Ammo very available almost anywhere at ok prices even today (was in two pawn shops that had 308 factory on the shelf this weekend at $30 a box), more 30 cal bullets available in factory ammo, the heavier bullets are helpful for larger game like Moose and Bear. I am using a 308 in long range matches out to 1200 yards, developed half dozen loads that are MOA or much better.

Go 308, I have found ammo available from Africa to New Zealand. It is probably the most forgiving caliber to start reloading if you go that direction. Ammo very available almost anywhere at ok prices even today (was in two pawn shops that had 308 factory on the shelf this weekend at $30 a box), more 30 cal bullets available in factory ammo, the heavier bullets are helpful for larger game like Moose and Bear. I am using a 308 in long range matches out to 1200 yards, developed half dozen loads that are MOA or much better.

Given the questions asked by OP my guess is capabilities at 1200yds is the least of his concerns. ;)

.416 Rem Mag
Here me out...
Impractical ... yes
Getting to trump MtMuley on every thread... Priceless
View attachment 173421
Yea the 416 Remington does it all! Be glad to ship you some as I have plenty, the 400 grain solid should not do too much pelt damage on Coyotes and the shock of a near miss might leave them stunned for a second shot.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back