A Boat Full of Po-Boys: A Louisiana Alligator Adventure!

We were expecting some thunderstorms Sunday morning, but we figured we would be able to get the lines checked before they hit. As I got to the launch, Colton called me and asked me if I was seeing all of the lightning. Of course I was, it was pretty hard to miss! Looking at the radar it was pretty ominous with one of the most severe looking red covered radars I’ve seen in a while. But what the heck, let’s get after it, and check these lines fast, we should be able to make it back to the launch before the brunt of the storm hits.
That was a mistake to say the least.

We took off down the lake with the wind picking up and the lightning getting closer. I was actually somewhat relieved whenever the first several lines did not have anything on them. Then the rain started, and when I say rain, I mean rain so hard the bilge pump could barely keep up. The lightning was some of the most intense I have been in, and here we were on a lake in an 18 foot long chunk of metal. It wasn’t the dumbest thing I’ve ever done, but definitely ranks in the top 10. I know when it is my time to go there will be nothing I can do to stop it, but I also know that I should not do stupid stuff to help it along faster! I don’t have hardly any pictures from this morning because I had put my phone inside the rod box to keep it dry.

We had a very hard time finding several lines because visibility was so bad that we made a few wrong turns weaving through the cypress. Only one had been hit, the line was down and all excess was pulled out but there was no gator anttached and the chicken was still on the hook. It had been chewed on but not swallowed for some reason.

We finally found a well built duck blind to pull the boat inside and ride out the last of it. The worst had already passed though. Inside the blind was a sign that said “The Parker Hole” so if you know any of the Parker family tell them many thanks for the use of their storm
Shelter! I pulled my phone out and had a warning on the screen from the national weather service “severe thunderstorm warning in affect, 80 mph wind and lightning, advising all residents in the area take cover away from doors and windows” etc. No kidding! At least we had a duck blind. As it cleared enough for us to chance the open water again we ran back up the channel to the launch and there were big cypress limbs and debris blown all out all across the lake. Shivering and soaked to the bone I was glad to get back to the truck!

No more alligators for that weekend. I’m still trying to find some time to go make another run at it but time is in extremely short supply. I do have a good lead on a place where one is hanging out that’s estimated to be about a 9 footer so I’m going to go try for that one if I get a chance. Wish me luck, I hope I have some more news to share in the next few days or weeks.
Archery season opens Sunday Oct 1st for me and the idea of skipping deer hunting to catch a gator seems crazy. But we will see, gator tags don’t come along that often.

@JohnBud of you ever decide to go, look into Florida, in Louisiana, you are required to catch them first on a hook and line but other places you can actually make a hunt out of it and shoot them a few different ways. My brother has killed them with a bow in Florida.

@TOGIE if you can imagine any form of a duck blind, someone in Louisiana has already done it lol! I have found old steel drums, bolted up high on the side of cypress trees with railroad spikes driven in for steps that people used for duck blinds.

This is so foreign to me. I want to do it someday!
When I went I used someone else's tag as a helper. That allowed me to shoot it. Not sure if that still works now or not. I paid him what he would have gotten for the gator so I could keep it. One of his neighbors skinned it for me and put the meat in my cooler for the trip home. Another friend of my guide tanned the hide and I also had the head and front feet done. Maybe the OP can comment on current situations.

It was a neat experience! As stated, it was not quite the drama shown on Swamp People. We pulled mine up to get a look at size then checked all the other lines before coming back for me to claim this one. A shot in the skull with a .22 revolver and it was in the airboat!

1695922351313.png

When I went I used someone else's tag as a helper. That allowed me to shoot it. Not sure if that still works now or not.
You can still get a helpers license to be legal to assist in the process and fill the tags as long as you have them in your possession. But, I thought I read somewhere that NRs don’t qualify for a helper’s license now. Maybe that is available for people to help on commercial operations, but I am not sure. I am not super well-versed in all the alligator catching legal details beyond knowing that I am legal, and unless the people with me have helpers license, they can only be uninvolved observers. This is why I was pulling up the line and shooting myself, and doing all of the hook setting etc. The other guys could only observe.

When I went I used someone else's tag as a helper. That allowed me to shoot it. Not sure if that still works now or not. I paid him what he would have gotten for the gator so I could keep it. One of his neighbors skinned it for me and put the meat in my cooler for the trip home. Another friend of my guide tanned the hide and I also had the head and front feet done. Maybe the OP can comment on current situations.

It was a neat experience! As stated, it was not quite the drama shown on Swamp People. We pulled mine up to get a look at size then checked all the other lines before coming back for me to claim this one. A shot in the skull with a .22 revolver and it was in the airboat!

View attachment 294318
Dave before the hippy hair!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back