Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Qubo

Am I the only one that refuses to buy a gun that can’t be loaded/unloaded with the safety on?

So last year I bought a new gun. I did extensive research before my purchase because it was my first quality gun. I got it down to a Tikka or a Browning X-bolt. When I went to look at them in person I discovered while holding it that the Tikka has a 2 stage safety with locking bolt. It didn’t take me half a second to make my decision after that. I never even cycled the bolt on the Tikka because I personally won’t buy a gun like that. Now I had watched probably 10 reviews on the gun and nobody ever mentioned that as a con and that has bothered me ever since. I know they aren’t the only brand like this but I’m picking on Tikka cause it’s the only one I’ve almost bought. I see lots of people on here who love their Tikkas and I’ve never asked anyone what they thought about it. But I just happened to see a new review video of my exact x-bolt model on my YouTube feed tonight so I watched it for fun and while the guys liked it the review ended with “why pay more for the Browning when the Tikka is just as good” and it kinda got me fired up. So I’m just curious to see if anyone else feels this way? To me it’s an accident waiting to happen.

And just to clarify I’m not judging anyone with these rifles. I’m also not trying to start a debate about hunting with one in the chamber or not. Because I usually don’t hunt with one in and I’m still not ok with the idea that I may see an animal, first have to take the safety off, then load a round, not take a shot for whatever reason, then have to remove that round with the safety off. Am I just overly cautious?

To me, any time there’s a round in a chamber, that’s an accident waiting to happen. I chamber a round when I’m ready to shoot. If I don’t fire, I unload with standard safety practice. Muzzle awareness is more important to me than a mechanical safety.
All that being said, I do prefer a tang safety just because of it’s location. I wouldn’t let a safety be the deciding factor for a gun purchase.

Last edited:
I grew up with the mentality of never trust a safety.
Most of the rifles i've owned have been Savages. Safety is either on, or off.
Never had a safety where i could have it on & run the bolt.
Till i bought my first Ruger 77 MKII.
I do like the 3 position safety.
Does it change how i handle a rifle? No.

Guessing you don't like pump or semi auto shotguns either.

Keep the muzzle in a safe direction, your fingers away from the trigger, and assume any firearm no matter what kind of safety, or the position it's in is ready to shoot.

Keep the muzzle in a safe direction, your fingers away from the trigger, and assume any firearm no matter what kind of safety, or the position it's in is ready to shoot.
What model of Savage rifle have you had that didn't have a 3 position safety? My Savage 111 has one.

Honestly for me, the safety on a rifle has never really mattered because it is something mechanical and therefore can fail. I started hunting with a lever action, where the only safety was half @#)(#, and therefore when unloading the chamber, you automatically went to full @#)(#. I just always treat every rifle as if it were loaded and keep my away from the trigger until I am ready to fire.

np307, I have an old 110 in my safe, probably late 60's early 70's vintage, and it only has a 2 position safety.

To me, any time there’s a round in a chamber, that’s an accident waiting to happen. I chamber a round when I’m ready to shoot. If I don’t fire, I unload with standard safety practice. Muzzle awareness is more important to me than a mechanical safety.
All that being said, I do prefer a tang safety just because of it’s location. I wouldn’t left a safety be the deciding factor for a gun purchase.
This ^. I have 3 Tikkas and it doesn't bother me one bit. I was taught to treat any safety as If it was going to fail, and keep muzzle pointed in safe direction when loading/unloading. What is more important to me is that the safety locks the bolt. I can't stand hiking through the woods and having my bolt come open. All things equal, the 3 position wing safety on a M70 is my favorite.

Am I the only one that refuses to buy a gun that can’t be loaded/unloaded with the safety on?

So last year I bought a new gun. I did extensive research before my purchase because it was my first quality gun. I got it down to a Tikka or a Browning X-bolt. When I went to look at them in person I discovered while holding it that the Tikka has a 2 stage safety with locking bolt. It didn’t take me half a second to make my decision after that. I never even cycled the bolt on the Tikka because I personally won’t buy a gun like that. Now I had watched probably 10 reviews on the gun and nobody ever mentioned that as a con and that has bothered me ever since. I know they aren’t the only brand like this but I’m picking on Tikka cause it’s the only one I’ve almost bought. I see lots of people on here who love their Tikkas and I’ve never asked anyone what they thought about it. But I just happened to see a new review video of my exact x-bolt model on my YouTube feed tonight so I watched it for fun and while the guys liked it the review ended with “why pay more for the Browning when the Tikka is just as good” and it kinda got me fired up. So I’m just curious to see if anyone else feels this way? To me it’s an accident waiting to happen.

And just to clarify I’m not judging anyone with these rifles. I’m also not trying to start a debate about hunting with one in the chamber or not. Because I usually don’t hunt with one in and I’m still not ok with the idea that I may see an animal, first have to take the safety off, then load a round, not take a shot for whatever reason, then have to remove that round with the safety off. Am I just overly cautious?
About 15 years ago I was unloading my tikka after a hunt and the gun slipped and when I went to catch it, it fired, right through my (new) truck. I sold the tikka. This was after 25+ years of hunting with no incident. I happen to have two X-bolts now and love them. I will only buy rifles with a safety load/ unload feature now.
Out West, I chamber a round when ready to kill. Here in the midwest, when walking in/out a guy has the chance to see the buck of a lifetime at any moment... in close distance.

This discussion reminds me of the importance of the 4 gun safety rules:
1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3. Finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
4. Always be sure of what is downrange of the intended target.

Following these rules makes a moot point of firearm mechanics. In theory, one must break two of the rules before harm is done.

Shotguns in general you mean, my OU doesn’t have a safety at all.

@Qubo a lever gun is gonna make you shit your pants if you don’t like a tikka. My FILs not only doesn’t have a safety but to de-@#)(# it you have to pull the trigger and lower the hammer with your thumb... don’t slip

My handling is pretty similar to @SnowyMountaineer, when I unload I just point the rifle in a safe direction.

I'm a huge fan of the 3-stage safety switch. Part of the reason I love Savages. My Bergara has a two stage, but the bolt is always unlocked. It's ok I guess. I don't like having a round chambered unless I am expecting to shoot.

Sounds like you had made up your mind and were willing to pay more for "what you wanted". This is purely a personal issue. If you have peace of mind then that is all that matters. For me it's not a deal breaker. Browning is a good rifle. I wouldn't regret your decision.

I agree. I don't like taking the safety off to open the bolt. I sometimes will have one in the chamber but like the safety on and the bolt handle lifted.

I own a few of both.

My Remington 700SPS ( about 20 years old) can open the bolt with the safety on or off. I don't like it as I have had the bolt open while its been carried. The gun was unloaded and the chamber opened and the bolt must have rubbed something and push a 2 shells up and it fell out. (That was early on in my hunting days)

I have 2 Tikka, I love the guns, do not like the safety ( opposite of the Remington as you do have to put safety off to unload.)

I have a Browning X-Bolt Pro, 1st year hunting with it ( in fact its heading out tomorrow with me again to look bear). I really like the safety system with the push button. It takes some time to get used to in fast pressure situations. I also like the short bolt throw.

My Nosler I had made with 3 position safety which is by far my favorite.

I’ll add a couple things. Now that there have been some responses.

I currently own a pump shotgun that can be loaded and unloaded with the safety on and hunt with it every year. I’ve also shot semi autos that do the same.

This discussion reminds me of the importance of the 4 gun safety rules:
1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy.
3. Finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
4. Always be sure of what is downrange of the intended target.

Following these rules makes a moot point of firearm mechanics. In theory, one must break two of the rules before harm is done.
Also of course I don’t “trust the safety” I would never break any of these rules just because I have a safety on. It’s just an additional safety measure.

Shotguns in general you mean, my OU doesn’t have a safety at all.

@Qubo a lever gun is gonna make you shit your pants if you don’t like a tikka. My FILs not only doesn’t have a safety but to de-@#)(# it you have to pull the trigger and lower the hammer with your thumb... don’t slip

My handling is pretty similar to @SnowyMountaineer, when I unload I just point the rifle in a safe direction.

I have shot and will still shoot lever guns and OU shotguns in more controlled situations ranges/clays shooting. But wouldn’t carry a lever while hunting. Just my personal preference though.

About 15 years ago I was unloading my tikka after a hunt and the gun slipped and when I went to catch it, it fired, right through my (new) truck. I sold the tikka. This was after 25+ years of hunting with no incident. I happen to have two X-bolts now and love them. I will only buy rifles with a safety load/ unload feature now.
Out West, I chamber a round when ready to kill. Here in the midwest, when walking in/out a guy has the chance to see the buck of a lifetime at any moment... in close distance.

^ this story right here negates anyone saying “ I just don’t point the rifle at something when unloading” and really is the exact reason I avoid these safeties. It’s the times something unexpected happens.

I love the bolt lock on the tikka. Same with Winchester or howa 3 position. Hiking through thick stuff like oakbrush, bolt will catch and get pulled open if not locked down. Friend lost a bolt this way. I don’t own a rifle that doesn’t have way of locking the bolt down. Pass the kimber, tikka, vanguards, winnies for me...no thanks on Rem 700. Take you pick on the two vs 3 position safety, whatever you are comfortable with. I carry pipe empty so don’t really care.

3 position safety and a locking bolt is a big deal for me also. Solo hunting the thick stuff with the grizzly bears I prefer to carry with a round in the chamber, and see through scope caps. That being said im not reckless with my rifle either, just need it to more than a club at a moments notice. I suppose that's why I gravitate towards the x bolt, the model 77, and the model 70 for hunting rifles. For a a gun that wouldn't be used in such a manner it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Most of the rifles that I have been hunting with the past 50 or so years just have a two position (on/off) safety. I've done most of my hunting solo, and the past 45 or so years I've lived and hunted in grizzly country (a few weeks ago one was filmed less than 1/4 mile from my house), so most of the time I put one in the chamber and the safety on when I leave my vehicle.

In the past 20 some years I've been able to go on quite a few guided international hunts. On those hunts I usually load the magazine but don't put one in the chamber until I see and stalk an animal.

Over the years I have seen some rifles fire when the bolt is being closed so I am always very conscious where my muzzle is pointed when I close the bolt. On hunting reloads that I don't full length re-size I like to run through the chamber to make sure that they easily fit. I've never had a round fire when doing this, but I still get nervous doing it in my house.

In the past 10 years I've bought 3 Weatherby Vanguard rifles and they have 3 position safeties. My carrying style hasn't changed with them, but the other day I partially sized a bunch of .308 Win cartridges that I reloaded for one and I wanted to check how easily they chambered.

With the Weatherby's 3 position safety set in the middle position, I felt less nervous checking the fit of those .308 shells.

To answer the original question of "would I buy a rifle without a 3 position safety?" Yes. A 3 position safety is not one of my criteria when I am looking for a new rifle. And I will continue to hunt and shoot my rifles, shotguns, and pistols that only have on/off safeties.

Last edited:
I should say I also wouldn’t hunt with a 2 position safety that doesn’t have a locking bolt either. As a western hunter who uses a gun bearer and hunts in a lot of brush I would be worried about the bolt coming open, whether loaded or unloaded. For anyone unfamiliar with the x-bolt it is a 2 position safety with a locking bolt that has a separate button to unlock the bolt when on safe. I would also buy a gun with 3 position safety. And I will also occasionally hunt with one in the chamber depending on the circumstances.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back