Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Are we lucky in some ways to be hunting in CA?

Yogithebear

So I just settled back here after living here off and on most of my life. I’ve always told people how great a state this is for the outdoorsperson, once you wade through some bureaucracy and accept spending more $ for licenses at tags compared to some states.

But reading threads like the below link, and many others regarding what sounds like crazy congestion on public land by hunters makes me think its pretty good here in Cali. At least here in the south, yes it can be hard hunting but I only occaisionally see other hunters.

Thread 'If you know, you know'
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/if-you-know-you-know.316397/

I read the above thread and I’m envisioning the opening of “The Road Warrior” with a bunch of lunatics on side by sides filling in for Lord Humongous and his crew.

Is it worse up north, is burning of honey holes and all that a thing you have to worry about up there? I know that is where most of the good hunting is, so I figured if any region gets more congestion it would have to be up there. Down here the only crowding is on a pier for spiny lobster.

Couldn't agree more. Was in CO for 1st Rifle and could not believe how many other hunters were there. In CA, I rarely see anyone else and when I do its a cool experience (if i get to talk to them) because we share a bond over a minority passion. I love the pursuit more than the kill and being out there often by myself is a really big thing for me. Didn't expect CO to have that impact on me but man it sure did.

So I just settled back here after living here off and on most of my life. I’ve always told people how great a state this is for the outdoorsperson, once you wade through some bureaucracy and accept spending more $ for licenses at tags compared to some states.

But reading threads like the below link, and many others regarding what sounds like crazy congestion on public land by hunters makes me think its pretty good here in Cali. At least here in the south, yes it can be hard hunting but I only occaisionally see other hunters.

I read the above thread and I’m envisioning the opening of “The Road Warrior” with a bunch of lunatics on side by sides filling in for Lord Humongous and his crew.

Is it worse up north, is burning of honey holes and all that a thing you have to worry about up there? I know that is where most of the good hunting is, so I figured if any region gets more congestion it would have to be up there. Down here the only crowding is on a pier for spiny lobster.
P.S. The replies to this from the ID/MT/WY crowd will be fun

We have a ton of public land in CA. What we don’t have is the quantity of the animals that other states offer. Our bear population is impressive, but there is very little in the way of elk, and those tule elk populations are very small, and have insane draw odds. Our deer populations in most areas are not in good shape (yes there are exceptions), but not enough to entice most hunters. We do not have good antelope populations either, and the desert bighorns are freak sightings, even if you know where to look. Mountain lions have really decimated deer, sheep populations in some areas. The coveted X zones are nearly impossible to draw for deer. Even in those high demand and quality units, it can be real tough to find deer (yes there are exceptions). Many of our deer seasons also fall in July-Oct. T-shirt and shorts weather for sure. We got pigs by the truckload in central coastal Ca though. They are mostly on the private land too. The prices outfitters charge to hunt up a freaking pig is insane, but if you want a piggie, you need that guide or private land access. Yes, there are pigs on public land, but access is nothing short of insane in most cases. CA is just a real drag to hunt in anymore unless you want a bear, and you like hunting in the heat. Yes, there are exceptions to all, but most hunters all know those exceptions, and yes you will run into other hunters in those locations. Go hiking in an area known to have even a remnant deer population. I’ll bet you will cut at least one lion track a day, or more. This is pretty rare in other western states unless you know where to look. CA, specifically the Southern half, is just a real mess for hunters. It was not always this way though. I could reliably take a buck each year from a D or A zone back in the late 80’s and 90’s. Between no lion hunting and horrible management, CA (southern half) is a terrible place to hunt.

Yes, Californians are lucky as you effectively have almost 0% nonresident tag allocation for antelope, elk and sheep.

Those silly Coloradans mentioned are sharing 10-35% of their comparable tags with Californians. Can you imagine how it would feel to share with your neighbors in the same fashion they share with you?

Yes, Californians are lucky as you effectively have almost 0% nonresident tag allocation for antelope, elk and sheep.

Those silly Coloradans mentioned are sharing 10-35% of their comparable tags with Californians. Can you imagine how it would feel to share with your neighbors in the same fashion they share with you?
I have never hunted out of state, only hunted local to where I was a resident and don’t really have any desire to in the future, but understand others do. So I don’t really know what the nonresident opportunities are here, but I would hope you could get a deer tag down in the south here. I don’t see many hunters though I think the published sucess rate is about 10% last time I checked. Maybe bear or bird, but I have to imagine its good for both back there. Probably less crowded here though which I’ll take that over sucess odds any day. Haven’t duck hunted here but I hear its pretty good.

Never hunted Colorado but have fished and done some great hikes there, beautiful state. Though it might be confusing when speaking about residents vs non residents when talking about our two states as so many Californians have moved there as I’m sure you are more than aware of.

I haven’t tried for elk or antelope here, maybe someday but those areas are so far away its more or less an out of state trip for me. But I did put in for sheep tags previously, might not make you feel better but I think my odds of drawing one was probably a fraction of a percent, so not buch better than the non-resident quota.

I probably lean towards fishing preference, I guess partly cause its year round for the most part and almost guarateed success, and that was a big factor in our deciding to settle back here. Again, I think its better up north, I know trout is better in the Sierras than in San Gabriel/Big Bear waters having fished them both, but have N. Cal has incredible waters. Now that would get me to drive. Saltwater also probably better up north, but I kill the surf perch, its a fun fish in the surf, and get the occaisonal corbina and Cal Halibut. Got into hoop netting for spiny lobster before I left last time, its a blast but the pier can get crowded.

Have never hunted down San Diego way but I've hunted plenty of other places in California where I wished I could cover every inch of my body in neon orange to keep me from being shot by all the other hunters.

Quit bitching, we share all of our illegal aliens, crappy voting habits, all we got back from Colorado was legalized weed

Are you saying that your lucky to be hunting in CA because game is scarce, access is tough, drawing a tag is no easy task?

I guess your right as you won't have out of state competition... I have never heard of anybody say "I can't wait to hunt in CA?"

I did see an 3 elk out there along the interstate which is more than I could have said while actively hunting elk in CO that year, so I guess you have made lemonade with your state of residency so kudos to you!

Are you saying that your lucky to be hunting in CA because game is scarce, access is tough, drawing a tag is no easy task?

I guess your right as you won't have out of state competition... I have never heard of anybody say "I can't wait to hunt in CA?"

I did see an 3 elk out there along the interstate which is more than I could have said while actively hunting elk in CO that year, so I guess you have made lemonade with your state of residency so kudos to you!
Making lemonade… may be some truth to that. I guess in the past when I said I can’t wait to hunt CA it was after being told I was coming here. But if it were that bad compared to other places then I wouldn‘t have chosen to come back permanently.

Contrary to popular belief, CA has excellent deer hunting. When I lived there I loved stomping around the Trinity Alps. Usually filled tags. Fun fact, may not seem like it, but CA has more deer than CO.

Im 51 now, been hunting here 40 years. Limits of dove- Normal, Limits of valley quail, fairly normal. Mountain quail always on the menu...Chukar....always kill some, some years kill a pile. Ducks....well rufuges are what they are....but the opportunity is there. Deer, now that its an 3-8 year wait to draw a decent rifle tag...losing its luster.....though if you are a go-getter you can get a decent archery tag in 0-4 years....but you'll earn that buck...Elk, Lope, Sheep....fugget about it. Bass fishing up the wazoo, trout in the sierras. boooohoooo

The glass is half full guys.....just quit complaining and go put some miles on. there is a lot of wildlife out there and we are lucky to have the massive eastern half of the state to hunt at will. No fences, no gates....walk till ya die...if ya want.

That bieng said, wife and I are leaving for better big game hunting and less taxes to be paid while we watched our city be overtaken by the homeless....cant barely go for a walk at sundown without being armed with a stick or something more "potent." Will miss the wide variety of bird hunt for sure, I guess some road trips will be required.

Missed your reply a while ago apparently.

Back when I lived along the north coast, I hunted humboldt, mendocino, and trinity counties - the emerald triangle for pot growing. This was before it was legal, and now that just made it even worse.

Ive come across trip wires but luckily did not trip them, large grows, water lines everywhere, and armed growers.

The two that stick out the most are…

Driving around looking for hunting spots and in the middle of nat. forest were no trespassing and private property signs - pre onx days but I knew they were not true. I came across a clearing in the woods 100 yards wide and 300 yards long with multiple massive outfitter tents along one side. Next to those were a stack of empty soil bags 30’x30’x10’. Other side were a bunch of big lifted trucks, and at the far end of the clearing you could see it led to a massive grow operation. We only pulled in far enough to turn around quickly, and could already see armed men coming out from the tents. That was a cartel op and we steered far clear of that area after that.

Other one that stuck out was along a river just trying to go tent camping with some college girls for the night. We walked just 100 yards upriver on the trinity from a bridge and ran into a grower around the corner. He was an older hippie type but dead serious. Showed us his .44 mag and told us to go back where we came from.

Anyway, I moved to MT not long after all that and enjoyed much more peaceful, productive hunting for a while. Now Im back in CA unfortunately and hunt one of the hardest otc there is. But i stick to the high sierras where pot doesnt grow well, and I backpack in now to get away from the hmong who ruined a lot of my lower elevation spots.

We are not lucky to be hunting in CA with the political mismanagement of our game. The CADFW actually impressed me recently when they defended bear hunting and hunting in general. It will be a cold day in hell before we see good hunting in CA again. Friends and I would rather put in for tags out of state, but I hunt as often as possible regardless of the suck. Even our “golden” x zones are pretty sad.

Driving around looking for hunting spots and in the middle of nat. forest were no trespassing and private property signs - pre onx days but I knew they were not true. I came across a clearing in the woods 100 yards wide and 300 yards long with multiple massive outfitter tents along one side. Next to those were a stack of empty soil bags 30’x30’x10’. Other side were a bunch of big lifted trucks, and at the far end of the clearing you could see it led to a massive grow operation. We only pulled in far enough to turn around quickly, and could already see armed men coming out from the tents. That was a cartel op and we steered far clear of that area after that.

Other one that stuck out was along a river just trying to go tent camping with some college girls for the night. We walked just 100 yards upriver on the trinity from a bridge and ran into a grower around the corner. He was an older hippie type but dead serious. Showed us his .44 mag and told us to go back where we came from.
I relayed some of the experiences on the Trinity and Klamath in another thread. We had some fun steelhead fishing before it got crazy popular and before the cartels moved in. Spent a Fall in Weaverville and the feds were in town. They'd roll out every day with a line of suburbans and a handfull of flatbeds with helo's overhead. Every evening they'd roll back with a grow they'd ripped out of the ground. Been shot over on the T more than a few times and got run out of Denny by armed growers trying to fish public on the New River.

Im 51 now, been hunting here 40 years. Limits of dove- Normal, Limits of valley quail, fairly normal. Mountain quail always on the menu...Chukar....always kill some, some years kill a pile. Ducks....well rufuges are what they are....but the opportunity is there. Deer, now that its an 3-8 year wait to draw a decent rifle tag...losing its luster.....though if you are a go-getter you can get a decent archery tag in 0-4 years....but you'll earn that buck...Elk, Lope, Sheep....fugget about it. Bass fishing up the wazoo, trout in the sierras. boooohoooo

The glass is half full guys.....just quit complaining and go put some miles on. there is a lot of wildlife out there and we are lucky to have the massive eastern half of the state to hunt at will. No fences, no gates....walk till ya die...if ya want.

That bieng said, wife and I are leaving for better big game hunting and less taxes to be paid while we watched our city be overtaken by the homeless....cant barely go for a walk at sundown without being armed with a stick or something more "potent." Will miss the wide variety of bird hunt for sure, I guess some road trips will be required.
I’m out of here the second I can retire. Actually will start the process a year before. I’m 53. 6-7 more years to go in this insane place. I don’t bird hunt, but I will miss the excellent ocean fishing and the fishing in the upper Owens river. Other than that, screw this state and doubt I’ll ever come back once I leave. Utah, Wyoming, or Texas is going to get my residency.

Back