Yeti GOBOX Collection

Packing for first trip to hunt elk???

Braveheart

I am beginning to get everything ready for my first elk hunt in Montana almost 1500 miles away in 9 days. ((thanks for every ones help here.) I am driving my truck there.

For those of you who weigh your back pack and stay out in the brush for days at a time please stop reading as this will bore you!!

I am obviously over packing some items. I will be hunting on 1200 acres of private ground surrounded by public ground on three sides. I am staying in an AirBnB about 2 miles from the hunting grounds.

I am wondering if there is any need to take a small blind and a small chair?? Often when its raining or snowing whitetail hunting, I have popped up this small one person blind and hunted rather than be drenched in my rain gear. Although I got some pretty good rain gear for this trip. Does anyone think this would be necessary hunting meadows on private ground??

I want to thank everyone for all the advice so far, I have enjoyed the stories here and I am looking forward to my first elk hunt. I plan on keeping my word and posting here during my hunt although it may be boring!!

Last edited:
My experience elk hunting has been that covering more ground solves most problems finding elk. If something will help me stay out longer and go farther I will take it.

Your blind could prove useful if you find the elk travelling a route in poor visibility conditions where you are unable to glass, and you need to have them within 70 yards or so to make a clean shot. Such as traditional black powder or archery. Think of setting up on a waterhole in early season. You need to have a small location where the elk are consistently to make a blind worthwhile.

Otherwise I want to be mobile to get in position for a shot. Elk have away of wandering and don't stick to the same trails except some fence crossings.

It can't hurt to bring it out west, but I would be very surprised if you ended up using it. It's just not how you generally hunt elk.

1200 acres isn’t much, The best thing you can do with a place like that if elk are using it, find two or three vantage points on the edges, near regular farming activity and sit there early and late. If you go stomping around and run the resident elk out, they wont’ be back for a while.
Your blind may be very handy For that scenario. My guess is your rancher will tell you to sit over there and just wait They always show up there. Might take a day or two. Get your exercise up on public ground.

If it’s your first elk hunt, regardless of the utility, I would leave it home. You will learn a lot more moving through the country.

I am helping a buddy who has only hunted whitetail. He passed on his first bull two days ago.

If you want to develop Elk skills, the more time on the ground the better. You can whitetail an elk, especially on private, but it doesn’t really teach you anything.

I hunt a lot. Every hunt I take everything I need to stay for two nights, hunt three days. My pack weighs 30lbs. 1 sandwich a day, few granola/candy bars. Pack of gummy bears and jolly ranchers. Fwiw

If it’s your first elk hunt, regardless of the utility, I would leave it home. You will learn a lot more moving through the country.

I am helping a buddy who has only hunted whitetail. He passed on his first bull two days ago.

If you want to develop Elk skills, the more time on the ground the better. You can whitetail an elk, especially on private, but it doesn’t really teach you anything.

I hunt a lot. Every hunt I take everything I need to stay for two nights, hunt three days. My pack weighs 30lbs. 1 sandwich a day, few granola/candy bars. Pack of gummy bears and jolly ranchers. Fwiw
What do you do for a sleeping system? Are you just running a bivy and puffies? Or are you packing a sleeping bag with?

No, I have not visited it in person. I have studied it for a few months on Onx and Google earth. I have talked to the land owner several times as he has lived there and owned the land for 40 years.

I wouldn’t take the blind for a rifle hunt. I would consider taking a turkey chair.
This. I take one of those “ultra light” backpacking chairs and leave it at the truck if I know I’ll be moving. If I find a spot I want to sit I’ll bring the chair.

No need for the blind if you sit below the skyline and with some cover to your back. If concerned about rain a tarp and guy lines would be a lot lighter if you had a place to set it up.

I got a little 12 x 12 inch square of an old foam sleeping pad I always take elk hunting, just in case I want to sit down for a while and the ground is wet. Weighs next to nothing.

Braveheart, I have hunted a small private land area like you describe, and as others have noted, if the elk aren't there you're going to want to be out hiking and looking for them on the public. Daybreak and dusk might be a good time to set up on the private at a place that seems likely they will come for food or water, but other than that you're not going to want to be sitting there all day in a blind. All you need is a little cover and a good rest for your rifle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back