Caribou Gear

Fastest way to find some 6.5’s

DouglasR

Ok so like sorry if this is an overly basic question, but is there like an ammo/gun shortage going on right now?

Im thinking about becoming a rifle hunter and the local gun store has a tikka tx3 in 6.5 that looks pretty cool that I’m thinking about picking up.
I’d like to get it setup and ready so I can shoot it when I go to Colorado next month, but obviously I’m having trouble finding rounds for it.

I’m not asking for your honey holes but does anyone have any websites they’d recommend checking or do I need to put my name on a waiting list somewhere or something?

does tracking down a couple boxes before March 1st seem like wishful thinking?

thanks for any help!

Ammoseek works pretty well. Availability is hit or miss and if you do find something, be prepared to pay quite a bit more than you're used to...

Have you tried the new hip coffee shop downtown? The place is vibing.
The only reason I’m vibing towards a 6.5 is because it’s what they have in stock.
I was looking for a 30-06 because it won the freezer filler thread, but no luck.

they do have the same gun in .308.
is .308 good?
looking for 1 rifle to rule them all.

Haven't seen 6.5 creedmoor ammo in a while. Ammoseek shows some available at around $4 a shot.

A buddy bought some and paid $90 for 2 boxes for whatever in stock ammo for his son. I have him saving his brass so we can load some basic stuff that didn't work for me just so he can plink with his boys.

Expect to buy the rifle and wait a year to shoot it unless you have reloading components on hand.

If you have the money you can just be part of the supposed demand frenzy now and go on gunbroker.com and pay the gouged prices. Won’t do anyone a favor except maybe support some price gouger that lost his job from covid.

There supposedly is not a shortage, supposedly just too much demand that is being fueled by gougers and the political/societal climate we’ve been in for close to a year. Semantics, I know.

Haven't seen 6.5 creedmoor ammo in a while. Ammoseek shows some available at around $4 a shot.

A buddy bought some and paid $90 for 2 boxes for whatever in stock ammo for his son. I have him saving his brass so we can load some basic stuff that didn't work for me just so he can plink with his boys.

Expect to buy the rifle and wait a year to shoot it unless you have reloading components on hand.
So basically what you’re saying is I need to stick to my elite bow hunting athlete roots, stop making excuses and keep hammering? 🔨

This is a tough time to buy a rifle in a caliber you don't have ammunition for. That said, make friends with the local gun shop and visit them often. They'll get some in at some point. You just have to be ready to jump when it's available. The other strategy is to buy whatever ammunition you can get for a normal price and then search up a rifle for it.....that may actually be easier in the long run. The local stores in my neck of the woods had some stock of 7mm-08 and 270 last week when I was in there.

If you messed around on some hunting forums based on your ballpark location, I bet you could make a shooting range bud or two that'd help out.

The only reason I’m vibing towards a 6.5 is because it’s what they have in stock.
I was looking for a 30-06 because it won the freezer filler thread, but no luck.

they do have the same gun in .308.
is .308 good?
looking for 1 rifle to rule them all.
I am not a fan of one gun rules them all. I like the golf club approach - sure I could play a whole round with my 7 iron, but I prefer to use all 13 clubs. I also like having different rifle options for different situations. Not because I have to, but because it is part of the fun.

But if I had to have only one rifle in NA and I was limited to choosing between the .308 and a 6.5cm - it would be the .308 hands down. (and I say this as an owner of both)

But if I had to have only one rifle in NA and I was limited to choosing between the .308 and a 6.5cm - it would be the .308 hands down. (and I say this as an owner of both)

I also own and enjoy shooting both, but agree on the .308 if your plans include elk. I’ve shot elk with my creedmoor and they died efficiently, but still think the .308 is overall a better tool for that job.

I am not a fan of one gun rules them all. I like the golf club approach - sure I could play a whole round with my 7 iron, but I prefer to use all 13 clubs. I also like having different rifle options for different situations. Not because I have to, but because it is part of the fun.

Which ones do I buy to practice with?
which ones do I buy for shooting at a deer at 8-10k ft in Colorado this October?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back