Eastmans trash talk

Making a little fun of silly, quirky, cheesy, and hypocrtical things isn't really "trash-talking" in my opinion. I'm sure they are good folks.

Well i use to subscribe several years ago and ended up dropping the subscription,but couldnt really find too much bad about the magazine,other than their egos.Had thought about signing up again,hope it is worth it now.

I like them personally. I guess i look to fine the good in people and overlook the annoying or bad. I even found some good in Moosie. :eek:

OMG LOL. This has to be the biggest Sh*t pot I have ever jumped in. Don't get me wrong, I believe you. I do watch the show when I am not working & I will go out and buy the magazine when I get a chance. Its really all about money. They have money and they use it to make their show and take down nice animals for your viewing pleasure. Are any of the ranches High fence? If not, I think thats called free range. I understand some of you think its BS because they boost the hunts are on open land and maybe your right, but it sounds to me like you are still watching the show & reading the magazine only feeding the frenzy. I went to a hunting show a couple yrs ago where Michael Waddell ask the crowd what hunting was better, the Southern way in a box blind or the way of the West where you had to persue your game. Everyone there said the Western way and started to bash the Southern way. Michael started to laugh and said well then I geuss I won't give away the hunt for Trophy Whitetail hunt in Texas since everyone here seems to hate it. Boy did the whining start then. The point he was making and the point I am tring to make is this. Don't bash the way someone hunts because you don't like it, Hunting is hunting. And I know I will hear where they are lying about thier hunts, so be it. Take the high road and do it YOUR WAY, not the Eastman Way or any other way for that matter. I take pride in being an Outdoorsman and I do it my way, but I am not ashamed to ask for help when I need it. Thats why I signed up here on this forum because I am new to hunting out west and Love it. Although I did not get an Elk, I did go out and learned it is not as easy as the Eastman way would make me believe. And isn't that whats is all about. Getting out. I hope I didn't piss some of you off too much because I will have to ask for advice from all of you for next year, when I go out and do it .......My Way. Take Care & God Bless.

Michael started to laugh and said well then I geuss I won't give away the hunt for Trophy Whitetail hunt in Texas since everyone here seems to hate it. Boy did the whining start then. .

I would guess everyone would be whining about having someone pass of "trophy whitetail", "hunt" and "Texas" all in the same sentence. Nothing like the sound of a corn flinger to get the adrenaline pumping.....

I agree with Rick Perry, Texas secession would be a great idea. ....

Making a little fun of silly, quirky, cheesy, and hypocrtical things isn't really "trash-talking" in my opinion. I'm sure they are good folks.

The music on the older stuff they did was waaaay cheesy. Although you could recognize which show was on without seeing it because of that music. Good branding I guess?

The music on the older stuff they did was waaaay cheesy. Although you could recognize which show was on without seeing it because of that music. Good branding I guess?

That cheesy music goes way back to the old Gordon days. Have some respect . Have you seen his old stuff ? It's pretty cool for its time.

I like the magazine, I have nothing against Eastmans for hunting private or being guided. If that's the way they want to run their business, then it's their decision. As long as they don't have an animal tied to the tree or in a pen, whatever floats their boat. In my eyes, it's still free range hunting. I like that they focus on western big game and I will still subscribe to the mag. Only suggestion is they should just maybe look into changing a little marketing and promote the free range hunting aspect and not the OYO or public lands. I hunt a wide variety of animals which include birds to big game and hunt public when I can, hunt private when I have the opportunity and have hunted with an outfitter as to benefit 2 small businesses helping each other out. I've had tremendous experiences in all three.

Ya it did go all the way back to dad Eastman but that's all he had back in the day. I have a Dvd from a couple years ago with Cameron and company and it still has that music.

Mikelfies - Thanks for your posts.

I have not weighed in one way or the other, and will not, as it relates to Eastman's. I subscribe to both their magazines, for what that is worth.

I do want to address your point that is brought forth in your example of hunters bashing other people's style or manner of hunting.

It happens on forums. It is human nature that people will talk about such things with passion. Not much can be done about that. I get to read a lot of posts about me and our show on some other forums, and some are not very glowing. I get forwarded emails of people within the industry who are not real keen on our message and style of hunting. But, that comes with the territory.

I know we have our detractors and Eastman's will have theirs. Cannot please everyone and so long as we, and they, are pleasing who they think are the important ones, then that is the path to follow.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned the definition of DIY hunting. I think everyone has a different version of that. I have mine, but it is not relevant, as it is only mine and will differ from many others.

My purpose for jumping into this thread is that I don't want people to be left with the impression that the owners of this site are critical of any kind of HUNTING (Penned shooting, not being in my definition of hunting).

I really don't care if it is guided or self-guided, public or private land, draw tags or Over-the-Counter tags or landowner vouchers. If that is what the guy wants to do, I am happy for them.

The site is focused around the show, which has a theme of self-guided hunting on accessible lands. That is for two reasons.

1. Even when cameras are not running, self-guided is how I do my hunting, and most of my hunting is on accessible lands, even though my CPA firm gives me access to landowners who allow me some pretty sweet hunting spots.

2. When you look at almost 500 TV shows and all of them are built on the same model, it seemed like a good idea to try a model that was the antithesis of the other shows. Therefore, self-guided on accessible lands is the theme of this show. So far, so good.

Neither of those points above are reason to discredit or look down upon any other type of fair chase hunting. I hope you do not get that from my posts, or from the message we promote in the show.

Our goal is to promote this type of hunting, which is the type of hunting for over 90% of hunters in the United States. Some take offense to that, and say we are discrediting guided hunting, or tresspass hunts, or ...... Not the case, or if so, not our intention.

I know this is a bit of a tangent to the original post, but wanted to make sure that even though people may have their opinions about certain styles of hunting and when we promote the style of hunting we do, it does not make it any more wrong or right than other styles.

Carry on.

Is that the one where cam shoots that nice Colorado bull in oak brush and his pardo and him take that muley in Oregon? I have that one. Got it in my stocking one year. It's ok
My problem with hunting shows is I want to see monsters killed. Not a bunch of average animals on the ground. Very boring to say the least!

Me personally I like to see monsters taken, but I would also like to see more tv programs show that they are doing their part in herd management and take a two minute portion of the episode and shoot a doe once in a while. Eventhough I do understand Does don't make the bills.

You won't like OYOA shows then. Sometimes monsters and others it could be cows and does. Kind of like your bull this year. You had only so many days that week to hunt and you took advantage of what you could towards the end. Was it one of the Monsters up there? No but you still harvested and in that sense had a successful hunt according to the majority of hunters. Randy's run on at least having animals shot on film is unprecedented considering the factors. All the hunts are on Public or accessible lands. They are mostly filmed in a 5 day period. Most areas are completely brand new to him. All these factors and yet they are still getting great footage and having success. Now if you were to hunt and film on private land for an entire season you would get great footage and not have to worry about all the other public land factors. You could use footage from the whole season in one episode because you didn't change locations and nobody would know.

I love to see and watch big animals as well but the reality is that most of us don't consistently see that and especially don't in only 5 days of hunting. I will still watch other shows and dvds with big animals and enjoy it for sure but I have a deep appreciation for how hard it is to film shows in the OYO format.

Well said LB. I hope you didn't think I directed that toward the oyoa crew. I mean hunting shows in general. I have not seen one of Randy shows but if I did I would look at it with different expectations. And your right on with my elk hunt. I prefer not to hunt elk with my rifle and only had that weekend to get some meat. I needed to devote my time to my mule deer tag. I can understand time constraints.:)

Big Fin is Policically correct and a very astute man. I think what he would have said if he wasn't such a grerat man, and more like the rest of us is "Get Bent and do it the "Randy with a Smile" way".... But I could be wrong ;)

...yep, no big egos here.

Hahaha.
The coolest thing about this site is even though there are so many big egos, it stays pretty drama-free. Not sure how it works that way, but I like it.

As far as Eastman's goes, I actually like the over the top corny classic music. Beats the hell out of all the crap on the Sportsman's channel where they're trying to be edgy and appeal to people my age and younger. I don't want hunting to be cool, I want it to be hunting.

Gordon Eastman was a class act.....I met him once when I lived in Bozeman. He was easy to like. Those old films he made are still to this day pretty amazing.

I get sick of all the BS gadgetry and junk that is advertised on the outdoor shows....most of those knucklheads promoting that shit have never been on a tough hunt in their life...

I agree with Breaks Runner...those old Gordon Eastman films were great. The best IMO, was the one where they went across the Snake River in that old military raft to pursue that big mule deer. I bet I've watched that a dozen times...never get bored of that particular hunt. They had to lug some pretty heavy and crude equipment to capture that stuff on film. I respect Gordon, but like in most businesses...the kids wreck it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back