Crossbow during archery season bill.

Tom

Should I support this:
Con: crossbows are more like rifles than bows.
Pro: it would get more people out hunting during archery season.

By:AAHomer H.B.ANo.A968
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the use of crossbows for hunting.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTIONA1.AASection 43.201(a), Parks and Wildlife Code, is
amended to read as follows:
(a)AAExcept as provided by Subsection (c) or (d), no person
may hunt deer, turkey, or javelina (collared peccary) during an
open archery season provided by law or by the proclamations of the
commission and during which season only crossbows, [used by hunters
with upper limb disabilities and] longbows, recurved bows, and
compound bows may be used unless the person has acquired an archery
hunting stamp issued to the person by the department. The
commission by rule may prescribe requirements relating to
possessing a stamp required by this subchapter.
SECTIONA2.AAThe change in law made by this Act applies to a
proceeding regarding hunting with a crossbow that is pending or
filed on or after the effective date of this Act.
SECTIONA3.AAThis Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

What do you think?

No. If you cannot shoot a 50 lb, 80% let off bow, to bad. Go gun hunting. That is 10 lbs, what does a 12 pack weigh?

Why is it everyone thinks we need more A wipes in the woods anyway? Why is this the constant theme? The only ones that say that, are the ones that want to sell me more crap, get me to join their organization or want more funding for their game and fish department.

I am taking a stand, "We do not need more hunters"!!!!!!!!

Ok, it didn't cut and paste very well, so I can clarify it now, sorry. The bracketted phrase is being removed with this bill. "[used by hunters with upper limb disabilities and]"

One against, one for (from Ohio where crossbows during archery really changed what happened during archery, i.e. lots more deer shot, etc.), 3 don't GAF. If it were your state, would you GAF then? What do you think?

Currently, we need a stamp during archery season, but only disabled hunters can use a crossbow for deer and turkey in Oct., archery season. Anybody can use a crossbow during general season for deer and turkey, Nov.and Dec. Anybody can use a crossbow year round for exotics. This bill would keep the stamp requirement for deer and turkey and javelina, but open archery season (Oct.) to crossbow use by all, not just disabled. Like children and women, they could use a crossbow, but not draw a longbow, recurve, or compound with much weight to the draw.

I think we do need more pro hunters, as we are a dieing breed in the country where votes count for what laws get passed. If you don't GAF, then, I think your hunting is on the list for the first eliminated by those who don't support hunting and those actually against it.

I seriously doubt bills like this draw more hunters into the sport. All it does is provide more opportunity and more problems for those who already hunt.

Saying it will increase interest, get more people involved, is pure BS.

I have to agree with Buzz.

I don’t' think it increased the number of hunters here in MD, maybe brought a few from rifle season into the archery season but not over all hunter numbers.

In the last 4-5 years we went from crossbows by special handicap permit, to a limited 2 week season concurrent with the archery season, to finally incorporating them into the entire archery season in most areas.

I don't think there have been any issues, maybe a few more people in the woods in archery season but that’s about it. The harvest numbers didn't increase, or not by a noticeable amount that I could discern, nor did hunter numbers increase. I would guess that the majority of the people using a crossbow were archery hunters to begin with, who didn't have time to practice as much as they'd like.

Unethical hunters are unethical hunters, makes no difference if they're using a bow or crossbow or rifle. Personally I don't think a crossbow has that much advantage over a modern bow anyway. I think the advantage goes to a modern bow mostly due to range.

With sights on a compound bow, you don't need to practice as much as you would if you shot instinctive, or with a recurve, you can hold your draw forever, they shoot much faster, have a longer range... etc. I started out with a 45lb Bear Recurve, went to a compound with 20-25% let off and shot instinctive, then to a modern. There is no comparison between the new bow with all the bells and whistles compared to the older bows shooting fingers looking down the arrow. My effective range almost tripled by just switching gear. I went from shooting year round a couple days a week and every day for a month leading up to the season, to forgetting about it until a month before the season, pulling it out of the case and shooting kill groups at 30 yards with out breaking a sweat. It would take me a month to get that consistency with traditional gear, and that would be at my max range. With a compound and a month practice I could be stretching it out to 50-60 yards by then

What it comes down to is hunters are selfish people; we all look out for our own interests with disregard for others. If others can't or don't want to do it like us then too bad.

What would it really hurt if someone was using a crossbow? Does it make you feel like less of a hunter because someone 'cheated' to kill the same animal you did? Welcome to the world of hunting. We have private vs. public land hunts, LE vs. OTC, guided vs DIY, etc etc. Hunting is supposed to be a personal experience not a competition isn't it?

If someone can explain how hunting with a compound bow is more ethical than hunting with a crossbow I'd be more than willing to listen.

Did someone question "ethics"? Maybe I missed something.

Me too. Today's compound bows are much more effective weapons than crossbows. In my opinion, they sort of go against the grain of a weapon to be used during archery only season though.

Highly doubt they'll recruit any new hunters.

Crossbows aren't the enemy of selfish pricks like me.. it's the pole smokers... or smokepolers..

But like originally said.. it's Texas.. WHO CARES?

I decided to write in support of it to every senator on the committee to get it out to the floor and passed. I used to be against it because I think a crossbow is more like a rifle, because you didn't have to draw it, it has a scope, etc., but heck, if a handicapped person can use a crossbow during "archery", then a woman or child, who can't draw the full weight of a modern bow, deserves it too. Use of the crossbow opens the archery season up to more hunters and huntresses, so that's the important thing that I think this bill will support. Its not just archery season anyway, with handicapped using crossbows and youth using rifles at the end of it. Our muzzleloader only season is after general season (all weapons, i.e. pistols, bows, rifles, etc.) in Jan.

Sorry I got of on a tangent as usual.

I've followed these type of discussions on many hunting boards and it always comes out as the guys that use crossbows are lazy slobs. Not much diffrent than the traditional guys calling the 'wheel' bow shooters lazy slobs.

Wasn't that long ago that an 'archery' season was started. I know quite a few old timers that are still pissed off about the bow hunters getting to hunt the best part of the elk season.

Yes I believe that crossbow should be legal.

1. We should be able to hunt with every type of legal weapon possible.

2. At 58 and having 4 shoulder injuries it is very difficult to use a bow. Yes I can draw the bow but I cannot draw it enough to practice like I feel any bow hunter should to be a proficient shot. I am not disabled and do not qualify for that status. Also I have a couple of friends that have the same physical situation. Why should we be left out of the hunt?

3. I cannot shoot game animals any farther than any of the new compound bow so why would they be different. It’s still stick and string.

4. The new sights trigger releases, stabilizers, and other products make the bows of today high tech weapons that do not meet the standards of what anyone thought bow hunt should be 40 years ago.

5. If this is the case then all then new muzzle loaders should be banned because they are not truly what primitive hunting arms should be.

Instead of fighting over it just shut up and go hunting, and take a kid with you while you’re at it.

I got news for you Ultrahunter, crossbows are not a new way to kill deer. I think the main thing that makes a crossbow different is you don't have to draw in front of the animal, like with a bow. Maybe it shouldn't be called archery season, but "archery, crossbow, and youth rifle season". The name doesn't matter, getting out there and being fair to women and children, like people with shoulder injuries now makes it a winner.

Crossbows may make it easier for woman, kids, and people with shoulder injuries to hunting during archery seasons, but if they really wanted to hunt during these seasons this by no means is the only way to go about it. I have a buddy here in Montana that lost his whole arm and most he muscles in his chest on that arm side, falling into a rock crusher. He shoots a recurve bow, using his teeth, to pull the string. He's does really well. He shot 2 does on a deer drive we put on, and has shot turkeys, elk, and other big game with this set up.
There's technology out there for almost every scenario without having to use a crossbow's in archery seasons.

I don't care about Texas, that states a mess anyway, but crossbows have no place in Montana's archery seasons.

Like I tell everyone that thinks there weapon needs a special season here. You can use your weapon of choice, Montana has a 5 week general season, several wilderness areas open a month before that, and there's late seasons too.. Just use your smoke pole, crossbow, spear, or anything else that's legal during our liberal rifle seasons.

I've been using a crossbow, legally, in excess of 15 years. I can't handle a compound w/o experiencing a lot of shoulder pain. No way I'm gonna try to pull a bow with my teeth. ( I'd probably lose them) The crossbow has allowed me to continue archery hunting and I'm VERY thankful for that. I routinely won't try a shot over 35 yds. because I understand the limitations of the weapon and my own, as well. Hunting is hunting and we ALL need to support each other regardless. There are too many others against us already !!!

I dont agree, we dont need to support each other and I wont ever accept making exceptions of crossbows during archery seasons.

If someone cant pull a bow, hunt with a rifle during rifle season. I think its selfish to ask everyone else to "accept" that someone cant do something and change the rules so they can play too. Life isnt fair, and hunting shouldnt be either. Since when did everything have to be fair?

I'd love to catch for the Red Sox and hit a long ball out of Fenway...would it be fair to ask the bigs to lower the standards so I can play too?

You either cut it...or you stay home, that simple.

Back